Home | What's New | Search | Email me

Churches

Christ United Methodist Church     

First United Methodist Church of Jasper
 
First Presbyterian Church of Jasper
 
  Northside Baptist Church

St. Cecilia Catholic Church

   

St. Mary's Episcopal Church

   

Jasper's First Baptist Church

   

Woodland Trace Church of Christ

  Mt. Joy Baptist Church

For Bible Records...Click here additional Bible Records in site navigation to the left

(Submitted by Floyd Guthrie)

History of New Hope Baptist Church and Cemetery

History of the Pleasant Grove Church

History of the Leroy Baptist Church of Boldo

 

 

HISTORY OF LIBERTY PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH

 

   (located near Sumiton, Alabama)

 

    CONSTITUTION

 
The State of Alabama, Walker County, Alabama, whereas application was made to us.
 
John M. Barton and James T. Calvert by persons where names are here under assigned to form a presberty and constitute a church.
 
We therefore met on the 7th and 8th days of October 1854 at the house of Brother Lindsey Thomas and after examining their Letters of Dismission from their respective churches we found them orthodox in Faith.
 
We therefore constituted them into a church known by the name of Liberty Primitive Church.
 
   Names of members in constitution
 
                                           Brother David Thomas
                                           Sister Mary Thomas
                                           Brother Lindsey Thomas
                                           Brother George A. Sloan
                                           Sister Rebecca Sloan
                                           Brother E. G. Sloan
                                           Brother Hersey Sloan
                                           Brother Alexander Burns
 
The church being thus constituted then proceeded to business. Open doors for reception of members. Appointed Brother E. G. Sloan for clerk. Then adjourned presberty.
 
        Elder John M. Barton
        Elder James T. Calvert
        Elder W. M. Gravlee, clerk
 

Liberty church moved from it's original location to a building near the Corner community sometime around 1875. After some years they moved the church near Robbins Crossroads. Later it was moved to Linn's Crossing and they held services in a house. When the L & N Railroad bought the property so that they might build a railroad on that location the church had to move again. It was on Jan. 13, 1906 that Elder W. J. McCormack and his wife, Susan Malinda (Harden) McCormack deeded land to build a new church. where the present day Liberty Primitive Baptist Church now stands. Elder McCormick's daughter, Emily Frances McCormack Hollis, was the first one buried in McCormack Cemetery on June 24, 1899.
 
Compiled by Clarice Hollis
Submitted by Willie L. Barton