The Williams Rufus King Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was established in January 1943, by the combining of the Cola Barr Craig Chapter (organized April 19,1930) and the Cherokee Chapter (organized June 5, 1907).
The chapter was named after William Rufus King, 1786-1853, who was a United States Senator from Alabama, 1819-1844, 1848-1853.
William Rufus King was elected Vice President of the United States in 1852 at the same time Franklin Pierce was elected President. However, King died on April 18, 1853, without completing his term.
On March 16, 1819, King was one of two men who purchased some land in the Alabama Territory on the Alabama River. They formed a land company, laid out a town, and named the town Selma.
From 1844 through November 1846, King served as Minister Plenipotentiary of France. On his return to the U.S. he brought many items back with him. Among them were pictures, busts, furniture, china, dueling pistols, ivory fans, complete set of silver, and numerous other articles. Many of these have been on display by families in and around Selma. Much of his china is on display at Sturdivant Hall. Two rooms at the Archives in Montgomery have items of his collections on display.
Questions about membership or comments on our web site ?
Back to top
Return to main page.