John Ederington Childs is a native born resident of Bradley County, Ark., and as such is looked upon with pride by the people of the locality as a proper representative of a progressive and refined commonwealth. His birth occurred in Clay Township January 12, 1856, he being the second son of James L. Childs, who moved to Bradley County, Ark., in 1844, and died here June 19, 1880. His relict survives him. John E. Childs learned the rudiments of farm life in his youthful days and acquired a fair knowledge of books in the common schools near his home. In 1879 he began business for himself and first engaged in merchandising, which business proved quite remunerative, but in connection with this work he shortly after engaged in the saw and planing mill business, and also manages an excellent farm which he owns. His merchantile establishment yields him an annual income of $20,000, his stock of goods being valued at about $4,000, and his thorough knowledge of the details of this work, together with necessary and natural
qualifications for its successful carrying on, have given him the
reputation of being one of the reliable business men of this section.
His marriage to Miss Anna Godfrey took place in 1889, she having been
born in Drew County, Ark., and principally reared and educated there.
In due course of time a family of two sons and two daughters gathered
around them: James L., Mattie N., Willie M. and another daughter.
Mr. Childs has always been a stanch Democrat, and in social and
business life is kind, courteous and affiable in his demeanor to all
classes, and being public spirited and enterprising, the patron of all
worthy enterprises, he is respected and esteemed by his fellowmen.
Dr. S. M. Davis, of the firm of Gannaway & Davis, physicians and druggists, of Warren, Ark., is a native of Lowndes County, Ala., where his birth occurred February 14, 1839, and the son of John and Mary (Pevey) Davis, natives of Georgia. The parents emigrated to Alabama, thence to Bradley County, Ark., in 1842, and located ten miles north of Warren, where the father carried on agricultural pursuits. He died in Jefferson County, Ark., in 1861, at White Sulphur Springs, and the mother died when Dr. Davis was an infant. He was reared on the farm until sixteen years of age, and then taught school, but in the meantime studying medicine. He attended the Louisville, (Ky.), Medical College in 1868 and 1869, and afterward began practicing in Bradley County, Ark. This he has since continued, and is one of the successful and popular physicians of the county. He was married in 1866 to Miss Florence A. Turner, daughter of Judge A. A. Turner, and the result of this union has been three living children: Ina, Aubert and Zena. The Doctor enlisted in
the army in 1861, Owen's Battalion, and served until the close. He is
a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Biographial and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas:
A Condensed History of the State, a number of Biographies of its
Distinguished Citizens, a brief Descriptive History of each of the Counties
mentioned, and numerous Biographical Sketches of the Citizens of each
County. Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis:
The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1890
(Reprinted From an Original Edition in the private Library of Mrs. Mary Woodward Lewis, Magnolia, Arkansas)
Back to Biography index | Next Page
A very special thanks to Bill Sharp and Jann Woodard for typing this information.