Bradley County, Arkansas Place Names and their Origins


The first article on place names appeared in the Bradley County Eagle Democrat, date unknown. The article is based on a paper by a local college student and contains some notes from Bob Newton, Editor of the Eagle Democrat, that appeared with the article or in later issues of the paper. The accuracy of this work has not been verified, but we do not know of any challenges to its accuracy.

The next set of articles, also from the Eagle Democrat, are about the Communites of Jersey, Banks, Blue Springs, Moro Bay, Hermitage and Ingalls.

Some little tidbits about Pennington, Green's Lake and Santuck Community.

Here is some information about Jack's Island.

Here is an Eagle Democrat article with some information about Johnsville.- NEW! 17 May 2008


Special thanks to Billy R. Sharp for typing and providing this first set of information.

Bradley County place names are traced down by college student

Mrs. Judith Hughes Wright, daughter of Superintendent and Mrs. James Hughes, has completed the work of finding the origins of 22 place names in Bradley County as a student project at the University of Arkansas.

  1. Hermitage - Named for Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage.
  1. Banks - Named for A. B. Banks, an insurance executive from Fordyce, AR.
  1. Ouachita River - Named by the Indians and spelled Washita meaning "Good Hunting Grounds". The English adopted the French spelling Ouachita.
  1. Moro Bay - Named for a Mr. Moreau who dug a canal trying to change the course of Moro Creek.
  1. Moore's Mill - Named for Mr. Moore who ran a sawmill there.
  1. Gravelridge - Named for the [numerous] gravel ridges in the community.
  1. Longview - Named for a four mile [relatively] straight stretch of river on the Saline River.
  1. Green's Lake - Named for a Dr. Green who owned all of the land around it.
  1. Godfrey's Landing - Named for Samuel W. Godwin who lived there about 1858.
  1. Pair O Geese Lake - Named for a pair of geese.
  1. Jersey - Mr. Watson named it after a Jersey bull that pulled loose from a wagon that was being moved through the community and caused havoc.
  1. Pine Prairie - A prairie surrounded by pine trees.
  1. Johnsville - Named for the many men of the community having the first name John.
  1. Eagle Lake - Named for a bald eagle that usually nested in a cypress tree near the bank of the lake.
  1. Artesia - Named for an artesian well on the Rock Island railroad (in Calhoun County.
  1. Hilo - Named for the lay of the land, high on the north and low on the south.
  1. Marsden - A family name.
  1. Raymond Lake - French named it Raymond for a French family that lived near there.
  1. Vick - Named by the Rock Island [railroad] crew for a very popular salve being used by the work hands.
  1. Romeo Shoals - Named by steamboat hands as a very romantic spot on the Ouachita River.
  1. Broad - A small railroad stop on the Rock Island that the railroad crew named Broad for a beautiful lady that caught the train there.
  1. Lanark - Named by a Baptist preacher while preaching about Noah's Ark.

Editor's Notes: We are pleased with Mrs. Wright's work and the opportunity to provide it to the public. We wonder, however, about several other names - like "Goat Neck", "Catfish", and "Pig Ankle", in Warren, as well as Santuck, etc., out in the county. Perhaps someone else will come forward with additional information.

-------

Still nobody's told me where the name Pig Ankle came from.

Frank Rowland said Mr. Moreau really did try to change the course of the Moro Creek - that it once came out at the Mouth of the L'Aigles [where L'Aigle (Eagle) creek runs into the Saline River].

Frank also tells me that Henry Morton Stanley, the man who found Livingston in Africa (Dr. Livingston, I presume) once worked at Longview - this being in between his short stints of service first in the Confederate army, then in the Union army. Stanley was an adventurer, for sure.

-------

Somebody's come forward with an explanation of why Goat Neck is Goat Neck and Catfish is Catfish.

Goat Neck is called this, he says, because of the custom, at old-time Bradley, Arkansas, and Southern lumber company barbecues, of taking care of employees and their families first. People who made their homes on South Myrtle [St.] didn't usually work at the mills, so they got what was left over: "goat neck" barbecue, usually.

And Catfish: one of the stores on Elm Street had a giant catfish illustration painted on the window. It was the most outstanding thing about the street.

He also told us about Nickel Hill, but we can't talk about that in a family journal like [this].

Another place in Bradley County that is not included in the above article is Ingalls which is about six miles south of Hermitage on the Rock Island railroad. Ingalls was a thriving community with several stores, a church, a school, cotton gin, and sawmill in the 1930's and 1940's.

  1. Ingalls - Named in 1906 by the Rock Island Railroad townsite company in honor of Senator Ingalls from Kansas, a very prominent man of affairs in that day and time. The name was suggested by Judge Hughey of Warren


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Eagle Democrat 27 October 1932

Early History of Jersey is Related
First Settler was a Frenchman Who Built His Home in 1843.

By Mrs. J. P. Johnson of Jersey

[Editor's Note: This is the second of the historical articles read at the last quarterly meeting of the Bradley County Federation of Women's Clubs when they observed "Know Your County Day". Other articles will appear in subsequent issues of The Eagle Democrat]

In the year of '43 there was only one house in what is now Jersey community. A Frenchman named Lavillion lived on what is now known as the McDougald place about three miles north of Jersey.

In the year of '44 R. W. Anders, (commonly called Uncle Bobby), immigrated from Alabama and settled 2 miles south of Jersey. These two houses were the only houses between Warren and Pigeon Hill, the distance between 34 miles.

In the year of '45 the Lee's, Jones', Amosam's and Goodman's immigrated from Alabama and settled wherever they could find living springs of water. They built themselves log homes, cleared land, built fence and seemed happy in the new country. The wild animals, such as bear, panther, deer, wolf and turkeys roamed the forest. There weren't many roads only a few pig trails. The Warren-Edinburg road running north and south was blazed out in the year '44. R. W. Anders helped to cut this road he being one of the pioneers.

These pioneers built a little log church in the wild woods and named it Shady Grove Baptist. It was constituted a church in the year of '46. The charter members were: R. W. Anders and his wife, Jesse Lee and wife, and Steve Splawn and wife. The little church stood not many yards from where the present church stands today. The first pastor was Bro. Pulley.

They also built a little log schoolhouse in the wild woods. Perhaps the wild jasmine clung to its walls and wild morning glorys blossomed near its door. The seats consisted of logs split open. Pegs were fixed for legs. On these seats our forefathers and mothers learned their A B C's. And perhaps many a romance started in and around this little schoolhouse in the wild woods. And much intellect has grown from sitting on these split-log benches if it was traced to the present day. The first teacher was Jenie Heath.

In these pioneer days the women were afraid to go very far for fear of wild animals. They very often ate wild turkey, deer and bear. The pioneer ladies were very careful when a bear was killed to take care of one of the bear's teeth for their baby to gnaw on to bring its first tooth through, as rubber rings were never dreamed of in those days.

Transportation was sorry in those days. They had to carry their wheat and corn to Marks' mill up near Kingsland to have it ground. Not until later years Cox's old water mill was built near Spring Hill. Grandfather Lee built the first cotton gin. It was a horse gin. Their supplies were delivered at Moro Bay, sent up from New Orleans. They also got their mail only once a month, from Moro Bay. It was sent out from Little Rock to Warren by stagecoach, then to Camden, then sent down the Ouachita river to Moro landing by boat. Their next post office was old Lanark. Guess the roads were a little better in the wintertime up there. The next was named Martin, a short distance from the present post office. Billie Watson was this one's first and only post master. It soon went dead. They then went back to Moro to get their mail, and later in the early '80s our present post office was constituted and named Jersey after the Jersey cow by John B. Watson, who was post master until his death. He was also merchant, ginner, dentist, and nurse for several years in this community.


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Eagle Democrat 15 January 1975

Laid out by Rock Island
City of Banks is age 70 this year

By Maylon Rice

The city of Banks in western Bradley County has begun its 70th year of existence according to official record books in the Bradley County Courthouse.

Banks was platted and laid off in 1905 by the Rock Island Town-site Company. The Rock Island Railway was completed through Bradley County the same year.

The city is located 13 miles west of Warren on what is now State Highway 4, but the town is 16 miles away from Warren by rail according to records.

The first business opened in Banks was that of J. D. McFarland and Company, composed of J. D. McFarland, and J. M. Spraggins, and A. E. Blythe; and was followed closely by S. L. Kyser Grocer Company, T. J. Bratton General Store, J. H. Splawn Hardware and Company.

Wash McLeod opened a general store during 1906 as did John Childs. The Banks Hotel was built also in '06 and was constructed by W. F. Spraggins.

In 1907 the Citizens Banks opened its doors to the people of Banks with a total assets of $10,000.00 and $1,000 surplus. J. D. McFarland was president and Roy Wood was cashier.

Three men were granted licenses to sell whiskey in Banks in 1913. The saloons were operated only one year, however.

The combined sales of the three men amounted to $ 85,000, this being about the amount of the working capital of the community. The effect on the local business of the town so that almost every business in the city failed within 15 months, including the bank.

The bank reopened again in 1916 with A. B. Banks, president and L. K. Taylor, cashier. The bank was one again liquidated in 1928.

In 1915 a $ 12,000.00 brick school building was erected.


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Eagle Democrat 29 October 1932

History of Blue Springs Is Real Epic Of Contemporaries

By Mrs. Barbara Denton

(Editor's Note.--- The following article, written by Mrs. Denton of the community where she was reared, is significant of the stories to be told of not-Bradley county communities-but of those over the nation. It is a compilement of many things-stories heard as a child, records in the family Bible, accounts of the old-timers. Particularly splendid in account for its minute details, the mere incidents that give birth to history. This represents hour upon hour of effort by Mrs. Denton. We present it here in its sheer force and simplicity for your enjoyment.)

The original Blue Springs community comprises a small portion of three counties, Bradley, Calhoun and Cleveland, and three townships. Some of the citizens live in Bradley county, get their mail in Calhoun county and send their children to school at New Edinburg consolidated schools in Cleveland county.

The first settlers of this community were a tribe of partly civilized Indians. They were friendly with the whites and were able to speak in broken English. These Indians belongs to the Siouan family. Their village was located on the present W. C. Alexander farm. Their chief was thought to have been very wealthy. A Negro girl, who lived with the Indians, told early settlers that one day the chief with twelve warriors went into the forest and buried the treasure and returned to the village. Each morning, for the next twelve day, the chief, with one of the warriors who helped bury the treasure would go into the forest and at night the chief would return but the warriors never returned.

Then came John A. Murle, with a squadron of soldiers and the Indians were colonized and driven out. An old land tract mentions the chief's treasure, stating that it was "buried on a slow, sluggish stream." This is believedto be Moro creek. Several searches have been made for this, but all with no success.

After the Arkansas Homestead Act was passed, settlers from Tennessee, North and South Carolina and Georgia came to homestead. These people were not "squatters," but real settlers, who came to build homes in the new country. Some of these pioneers, for their time, had a very good education. They could read, write, and cipher. Very little money was brought to the settlement, but these people brought with them the worthwhile things: common sense, religion, honesty and pioneer faith and endurance. They were refined in mind and heart, noble in ideas and ideals. The majority of women were women of character, refinement, modestry, integrity of heart and nobility of mind. The ladies wore an enormous quantity of clothing-long hoop skirts, tight basks, with full sleeves, plain bonnets and heavy homemade shoes. The men too, dressed in heavy, homespun, hand-made clothes and wore heavy homemade boots and shoes.

The houses were made of logs, bowed on two sides and then dressed sides turned in and out. Very few of the first houses had floors. The first floors were made of "puncheon", a split pole with the flat sides turned up. The cooking utensils were pots, skillets and ovens. All the cooking was done on the "big open fire places."

Most of the settlers came on emigrant trains, covered wagons drawn by mules and oxens. Sometimes one train would contain fifteen or twenty wagons. Often the ladies drove and the men, with eyes and ears alert, marched near the wagons with their guns on their shoulders. Emigrant trains were sometimes robbed.

Meat was the principal food of the early settlers. Moro creek low lands contained herds of deer, pigs, bear, beaver, flocks of wild turkey and smaller game in abundance. Jerked venison made a good substitute for bread. The first provisions were ordered twice a year in the fall and spring from New Orleans. They came by steamboat to Moro Bay and were hauled overland in wagons to the settlement. Later provisions were purchased at Pine Bluff. This was a longer journey than to Moro Bay. Roads were bad and when the weather was unfavorable it required a week to make the journey to Pine Bluff and return with a loaded wagon to the settlement.

Among the earliest settlers, are these names: Williams, Waganons, Alexander, Cathey, Ruth, Broach, Grant and Crawford families. The sound of the axe echoed through the forest; fields were cleared and even though the barking of the hounds, the tooting of horns and the report of the settler's gun struck terror to the hearts of the wild beast. It was very difficult to grow corn, sweet potatoes, peas, or vegetables of any kind that appealed to their appetite. Bears would stand on their hind legs and gather corn like a man and carry it from the fields. Deer were very destructive to sweet potatoes and an old turkey hen and her offspring would almost take everything edible in her path. More hounds were raised, more scarecrows were erected and more shots were fired and eventually the most destructive animals were driven farther into the forest. For many years hog raising was very difficult. Each night the hogs had to be securely stalled. Moro Creek lowlands in those days were almost a solid cane brake This gave the settlers a permanent pasture for the few horses and cattle.

Other settlers came and soon the community began to prosper. A log "meeting house" was erected somewhere between the present Wagnon church and the Cleveland county line. This was a union church.

Possibly because this was a backwoods church, some one dubbed it the very unpoetical name "Goose Ankle".. Someone else mentioned it by that name and hence the name Goose Ankle community was started. However, if this church was ever named, there is no record of it.

The next church was named for the group of springs near it. The bottom of these springs is covered with a blue-tinged moss, giving the springs and the church near them the name of Blue Springs. This was a union church. It is very probable that Blue Springs was the first real name ever given this community.

Our next church was the present one, erected near the center of the community. This is a Methodist church and is called Wagnon, next comes the Boyd Special church. It is not an organized church. The building was used for a school house until the district was consolidated with the New Edinburg schools. The Methodist and the Church of God hold services there once each month. When the weather is favorable they have Sunday School with good attendance.

The Holiness doctrine was preached at Blue Springs in 1907 by Rev. Jethro Walthall and Virgil Kelley. These men came to Blue Springs by invitation of A. D. Reddin, who was converted in one of their revivals at Chambersville, Calhoun County. A revival was held under a brush arbor. This doctrine was favorably accepted by many in the spring of 1908, a church was organized by Rev. Walthall, known as the Holiness Baptist, of which he became pastor. The interest grew and many were converted. Some are still living in this community, others have moved away and some have gone to their eternal reward. For several years services were held in the schoolhouse. In 1920 the building of the Holiness Baptist Church was started with H. E. and W. W. Wagnon and A. D. Reddin as the building committee. In 1928 the building was completed and now is open to all religious activities of the community. The church became interested in the Assembly of God and consolidated with them in 1928. There have been four ordained preachers from this church, namely, Mrs. Dave Morgan McCloy, W. W. Wagnon, T. W. Morgan and A. D. Reddin.

Allcorn was our first post office. The mail was carried on horseback once a week from New Edinburg to Allcorn and from Allcorn to Morgan.

The first schoolhouse was made of logs, with a French chimney at one end and a door at the other. The fireplace was large and the few windows had wooden shutters. The seats were made of split logs with flat sides turned up. Two holes were drilled in each end of the logs, two short poles were driven in these holes and served as legs.

Practically nothing was taught in school except was in the books. There were no clubs, ball teams nor operettas. The only rest from the daily routine was a spelling match or "speeches" on Friday afternoons. The speeches usually consisted of a recital of the poem "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and others, memorized from school books. In fact, it wasn't considered necessary for girls to be taught to speak in public, or boys either unless they were qualifying for public positions. Most of the early teachers were not very well educated. The sessions were short, usually three or four months free school, followed by a subscription school. Writing and arithmetic schools were very common in those days. Some of the pupils walked three and four miles to school.

Some of our early settlers had a high appreciation of education and under these difficult conditions educated their families.

Few of the early doctors had diplomas and usually the doctors were miles away in the then distant villages of Warren and Hampton. With decaying timber, pools of stagnant water, no protection from flies and mosquitoes, no health board, no country nurse, sickness was the most dreaded enemy of our early settlers. A yarn-string saturated in turpentine and extended around the waist or a neck were thought to be the only preventatives of contagious diseases.

Worms were believed to be the common cause of the principal ills of children, and consequently the little fellows were given enormous doses of molasses candy flavored Jerusaleum oak seed. Herbs and roots were gathered in the fields and forest, and used for medical purposes. The most commonly used herbs were squaw vine, yellow dock, snake root and pneumonia weed. Blackberry and blackhawk roots were also used extensively.

Under these difficult conditions the majority of the settlers reared large families.

When someone was taken seriously ill or in case of a bad accident and it was thought necessary to call a doctor, a man or boy mounted the swiftest horse obtainable and rode as fast as the horse could travel. If the rider saw that the horse was giving out he halted at the settlers' cabin and exchanged the tired animal for a fresh one. When he passed any one, he "yelled" who was sick or injured. Soon the neighbors were informed the doctor arrived and the sick person was given the best attention possible. Few dared to go about their own affairs when a neighbor needed assistance. If the patient died, a rough coffin was made, the preacher sent for and the humblest settler was given a Christian burial.

The first and only cemeteries were the Brown cemetery near the home of George Simmons and the Williams cemetery near the home of Jack Davis. Possibly the Brown cemetery is the oldest. Saturday before the second Sunday in May and September are the established days for the annual workings of the Williams cemetery. Large crowds attend these workings.

Our first singing class was organized in 1890 by James K. Erwin (Uncle Poke). Mr. Erwin, like his father, Isaac N. Erwin, began given vocal instructions at a very early age. The old Sacred Harp was the only note book in use then. The style of notes were the four syllables, mi, fa, soe, la. Droning was a part of vocal music and was sung extensively as quartets are today. Mr. Erwin was active as a director until his death on May 2, 1923. His work lives on under the directorship of his son, N. B. Erwin.

Among the first well-read doctors who came to this community, was Dr. T. A. Fowler. Dr. Fowler was born near Kingsland in Cleveland County in 1859. He began his practice at New Edinburg under Dr. Moses; and later came to this community where the remaining forty years of his life were spent. No one ever served this community more faithfully than this pioneer physician. Not to Dr. Fowler alone do we owe a debt of gratitude, but also to his wife and daughter Mary and Nora. Without their aid he could not have served us as he did. Mrs. Fowler often nursed his patients and at a very early age Nora learned to fill her father's prescriptions. Dr. Fowler died in 1927.

Greene Wagnon and his nephew Joe Wagnon, were the first and only representatives from this community to the State Legislature. Greene Wagnon represented Bradley County (date unknown) and Joe Wagnon represented Calhoun county in 1917 and 1918.

The first Hawk Club was organized by Mrs. Will Cathey in 1921.

The first Royal Family Club was organized by Mrs. Barbara Denton in 1922.

The first Better Homes Club was organized by the Bradley County Home Demonstration Agent, Miss Jenny Betts, in 1933.

Rev. and Mrs. A. D. Reddin have the largest family in the community. They have fourteen living children. All healthy and all musicians. Rev. and Mrs. Reddin are in the prime of life and take an active part in every movement for the upbuilding of the community.

Joseph Erwin, Conrad Hilson and John Poteete were among the first to purchase cars.

Rural McFarland is the first and only mail carrier on the mail route from Banks, and the first and only mail carrier on the route from New Edinburg.

Edwin Crawford was the first to drive a buss to the New Edinburg consolidated schools and Bernis Erwin was the first to drive a bus to the Banks consolidated schools. Mr. Erwin also drive the bus from this community to the Monticello A & M College.

Mrs. Alton Boyd was our first beauty operator. Mr. and Mrs. Alton Boyd were the first to open a barber shop and beauty parlor in our community.

Mrs. Georgia Alexander is our "farmerette."

Elan Denton is leader in horticulture.

C. L. and Will Cathey, John Poteete, Jack Davis, N. B. Erwin, Wiley and Bob Wagnon and S. F. Stough are among our men, seemingly interested in holding up our social standard.

Virgil and Troy Cathey are among the first young men to finish high school since we consolidated with the New Edinburg and Banks schools.

Ophelia Wagnon and Johnnie Denton are among the farthest advanced children for their age. Ophelia did fourth grade work at the age of eight and Johnnie entered the seventh grade at the age of ? years.

The present home of Alford and ? Cathey is the only pioneer ? in the community. This very ? and comfortable log home was built in 1857 by their grandfather A. P. Cathey. The spinning wheel and loom were among the first pieces of furniture to enter this home. Its first lights were candles and in later years this pioneer home had received most of the modern influences that make rural life ? --- the telephone. The ??? daily paper, improved farming implements, good livestock and ?? almost everything that goes in a real country home.

The Cathey brothers are very interested in everything that ??? to make our community a better place to live in. There is a ???ground on this farm and also ??? ground where relatives and friends meet annually for a day of recreation and pleasure.

The lover part of this community is know at present at Blue Springs. The southern central part ??? Wagnon, the central part. Willi??? Special, and the northern part is ??? Special, but it all is a part of the old and original Blue Springs community or settlement. If Goose Ankle ever really existed it doesn't any more.


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Eagle Democrat 22 September 1932

Moro Bay Was Once Flourishing Town
Was Once Center of Big River Traffic for Farmers in This County

By: Mrs. J. W. Kline

Moro Bay is one of the oldest towns in Bradley County and the only river town.

The settlement was made about 1840 on an arm of the Ouachita river which was at one time a lake and an opening was supposed to have been dug by hand so that small boats could pass through. The water gradually making the opening greater until the arm was considered a bay.

In 1857 the little village had built a warehouse, several log cabins and dwelling houses and a few business houses. One frame building which is still standing and is occupied. During the civil war practically all business was abandoned. Only a small saw mill being operated during the time. The warehouse was used some as a camp for the soldiers. After the war the river traffic revived and a mercantile business was opened by Hall & Co. Business grew. Several other places of business were built and for about 15 or 16 years Moro Bay was a flourishing little town. River transportation being the only means of getting freight brought into Bradley as well as the surrounding counties.

About 1880 a railroad was built into the northern part of Bradley county taking place of a part of the river trade, therefore taking the business from Moro Bay and from that time the little town gradually declined until most everything was gone.

About the year 1879 a Methodist church was built that still stands, possibly the oldest church building in the county now.

About 1900 business revived again and there were three or four stores opened up, but in 1903, a cyclone struck the little town and left only one store standing.

Later the lumber industry brought another few years of prosperity to Moro Bay, and it became noted as a place of outing and a resort for pleasure seekers who enjoyed fishing, picnicing, ect.

About six or seven years ago steam boats began navigating the river again and since then we have had boats regularly the year round but only to take fuel.

Again in 1928 test wells brought ??????????????


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Hermitage, Located In The Heart of Bradley County, Is a Thriving Town

By H. C. Johnson, Hermitage

Surrounded by Fertile Farming Lands and With Good Drainage, Pure Water and Progressive Business Establishment, Hermitage Is Growing Little City

A general write-up of the county could not be complete without saying something about the thriving little city of Hermitage.

The town of Hermitage is situated exactly in the center of Bradley County, on a high hill with good drainage---- the L'Aigle creek is on the west ??and the town branch is on the east ?? and south, which carries all water off rapidly. Back in 1850 Hermitage was only a mere post office and in 1907 there was only 1 store, post office and a blacksmith shop. In 1907 the Rock Island Railroad built a road from Tinsman to Crossett and built a depot here, and then Hermitage began to grow. J. P. Lansdale is the oldest merchant in town. He moved from Johnsville, Ark., to this place in 1907, and opened up a general merchandise business. Mr. Lansdale is seventy-five years old, but you will always find him at his place of business. He is assisted by H. C. Johnson.

The Bradley County Mercantile is composed of stockholders and has a good stock of goods and is enjoying a good business.

R. F. Owens is manager, being only assisted by Mr. and Mrs. Otha Baker and M. E. York.

The only barber shop in town is owned by Fred Nixon. He has a three chair shop. Ernest Nixon and Rolland Nixon work with him.

The Tobin Mercantile Co. has a new brick building and is doing a good business. C. G. Trotter is manager, being assisted by E. R. Trotter, bookkeeper, and Sammie Quimby and Tom Trotter, clerks.

W. B. Reasons has an up-to-date drug store. Dr. Reasons also has a good practice. You will always find Wm Baker ready to wait on you, and give you service at this place.

W. O. Warren operates the Warren Service station and sells the Texaco products. He is assisted by Buck Baker and ????

Two good cotton gins, operated by Wheeler Bros. And J. C. Thompson.

The town council is composed of N. D. Calloway, Mayor, H. C. Johnson, Recorder; J. D. Stephens, Treasurer; Tom Trotter, Fred Nixon, W. J. Hickman, D. A. Johnson and M. E. York, Aldermen.

We have two good churches, good Sunday schools and church services every Sunday, Elder C. D. Barton is pastor of the Baptist church, and Elder W. T. Boue is pastor of the Methodist church.

We have a nice school building and the prospects are bright for a good school the coming year. The faculty is composed of Principal D. D. Clements; Assistant Principal, W. R. Rowland; Misses Pope, Starkes, Cook, Jarratt, Baker and Roark.

Hermitage is the coming town of Bradley County, surrounded on all sides by good farms and progressive people. Some day the county court house will be here and it should be. Everybody is welcome to our town. Good health, water, drainage, and good neighbors.


Special thanks to Angela Emery for typing and providing this information.

Eagle Democrat June 12, 1930

Ingalls Named For Kan. Senator

By G. R. Hearnsberger

The town of Ingalls was first laid out in the year 1906 about one half mile north of the present location. This was before the Rock Island came through. In June, 1906, the railroad came through and the company refused to establish a town there on account of it being only 4 miles from Hermitage, and they reasoned that that was too close together for both towns to prosper. Consequently, the Rock Island townsite company laid off and established Ingalls in its present location in the year 1907.

Those that had gone into business in old Ingalls were: W. L. Calloway, D. W. Clanton, J. W. Garrison and N. B. York and Son. Shortly after the railroad came through and the new Ingalls laid off W. L. Calloway and Dr. M. T. Crow went into the General Mercantile business here. J. W. Garrison moved down in 1908. H. W. Calloway also went in business here in that year.

The Rock Island depot was opened in September, 1907, with Whitfield Howard as agent. Later L. P. Savant came as agent and stayed with the company here for 13 years.

Splendid schools have been maintained and supported here for the last 24 years.

An average of about $12,000 worth of hogs are shipped from here each year. This mixed with the potato, tomato, bean and cotton crops, gives us a fair business through all seasons of the year.

The Ingalls post office was first established about 1 miles north-east of the present location, near where Charley Harrod now lives. There was a store and sawmill there owned by Harrod and Jackson.

When trying to establish the postoffice the name of Crow town was suggested to the department, but rejected. Several other names were suggested, but non offered seemed to suit the department, and then old Judge Hughey, a republican citizen of Warren, suggested that he be permitted to offer the name of Ingalls in honor of then Senator Ingalls of Kansas, who was a very prominent man of affairs, and the name was accepted. The Ingalls post office was established before the railroad came through, and consequently the post was moved here it took the name of Ingalls. Hence we have the town of Ingalls today, situated near the center of Bradley County, with ideal soil for truck, cotton and grain corps, a good range for cattle and hogs and on the road to the best fishing lakes in Bradley County.


Pennington Township

"Pennington Township was named after Issac Pennington who was Captain Hugh Bradley's son -in-law. He came to the area in 1825 and settled east of Warren on the Saline River. Not sure where he came from." ~~Jack Scobey

"Isaac Pennington apparently came to Arkansas from Wilson County, TN with his father, Isaac, Sr., and other members of the family. They had lived on Spencer Creek in Wilson County. They probably knew the Bradleys in Wilson County, and were neighbors of Hugh Bradley on Long Prairie in what was then Hempstead County, Arkansas and is now Lafayette County. The town of Bradley (just east of Long Prairie) was named for a member of the family. The Bradleys, Penningtons and others moved from Long Prairie to what would become Bradley County around 1826." ~~Glynn McCalman


Green's Lake

"Green's Lake was named for Dr. Benjamin H. Green, brother to my great grandfather William Rufus Green. Family lore has it that this land and the lake, were once owned by William Rufus and Mary Amelia McFadden Green, and after the death of William Rufus, came into ownership of Dr. Green. Dr. Green was the father of Bernice Green (Mrs. Elbert A.) Frazer, who was the aunt of John Bernard Frazer." ~~Ricky Green


Santuck Community

"The area of Bradley County once known as the Santuck Community was named for the area of South Carolina where many of the families hailed. These families were the charter families of Hickory Springs ARP Church. They spent 99 nights camping on the trek by wagon train from South Carolina to Bradley County." ~~Ricky Green


Jack's Island

"I am writting about Jack's Island, located on the Ouachita River. According to 'Goodspeed's Memoirs of Southern Arkansas,' The island was named for Jacques 'Jack' Fogle. Jack was born and raised there, hunting, fishing and trapping animal for their furs and oil. Jack and his father would travel down the Ouachita by canoe to trade furs at Monroe, Louisiana. The Fogles were one of the first families to settle in Bradley and Ashley Counties." ~~Diana M Sullivan


Johnsville - Eagle Democrat Article (part is missing)

Johnsville Eagle Democrat Article Johnsville Eagle Democrat Article

Submitted byDiana M Sullivan



Well, there you have it. The way some Bradley County places got their names. Do you agree with the stories above, or do you have a different story?

Can you help us with more stories on how other Bradley County places got their names. If so, contact Barbara Logan at: dlogan@alaska.net, and we will add your story to this page.


Back to Bradley County home page