gdspdhh

Goodspeed's Biographies

Anthony Halloway, a substantial farmer of Moro Township, Fordyce post-office, was born in Troup County, Georgia, July 25, 1846. His father, Allen Halloway, a native of Putnam County, Georgia, born in 1811, was married in Georgia to Miss Susan Ann Shaw, born in Greene County in 1817, and by her had seven children, six of whom lived to be grown, and four whom - two sons and two daughters - are still living. His father was a farmer by occupation, and was a son of Anthony Halloway, Sr., who was born in Virginia, and died in Troup County in his eighty-first year. Allen Halloway died in Troup County, Georgia, in 1848, and his wife died in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. The subject of this sketch was the sixth child born to Mr. and Mrs. Allen Halloway, and lived in Georgia until he was twenty-one years of age. In his twenty -second year he moved, with his mother and sisters to Louisiana, where he was married in 1873 to Miss Frances Chambers, a native of Greene County, Alabama, born in 1850. She died in Louisiana in 1882 and in February, 1883, Mr. Halloway was again married, this time to Miss Mary Catherine Stroud, a native of Chambers County, Alabama, born in 1842, and in December, 1883, they moved to the farm where they now live. This farm consisting of 290, acres of find land, is located eighteen miles north of county seat, and three miles south of Fordyce, on the Cotton Belt Railroad. Mr. Halloway has about 140 acres of this land under cultivation on which he has erected good, substantial buildings. In June, 1864, Mr. Halloway enlisted in the Confederate army, in Company F., Fourth Georgia State Reserves, and served seven months, most of the time at Andersonville prison, guarding the prisoners. In political matters he is a Democrat, and cast his first vote for Seymour. In religious matters both he and hi wife are members of the Primitive Baptist Church. His first wife was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Halloway is one of the stockholders in the District Fair held at Fordyce, of which he is also a director. He is a a prominent and well-to-do citizen, and takes a deep interest in all public enterprises. [INDEX]


E. A. Hanna, who is one of the prominent and enterprising agriculturists of Dallas Township, Calhoun County, was born in Heard County, Georgia, in 1841. His parents, John and Julia Ann (McClenden) Hanna, natives of Tennessee and Georgia, respectively, reared a family of nine children of whom our subject was the second. His father went to Georgia in early life, and engaged in farming. In 1841 he moved to Arkansas; he came by land, bringing a herd of cattle and settled in Jackson County, where he lived for three years. He then moved to Bradley County, and lived there for one year, and then came to Ouachita County (now Jackson Township, Calhoun County), and entered about 200 acres of land, on which he made quite extensive improvements, and soon cleared 100 acres. He was a very enterprising farmer for those times. He was thrown from a horse and killed on the last day of 1865; his widow still lives on the old homestead. Our subject was reared on the farm, attending the common schools of that county, and remained at home until the outbreak of the war, when in October 1861, he enlisted in Company K, which was soon attached to the Fourth Arkansas Regiment. He was engaged in the battle of Pea Ridge, and then, soon after, the regiment was sent east of the Mississippi River. He was in eighteen general engagements from Pea Ridge to the end of the Georgia campaign; he surrendered near Charlotte, North Carolina, in January 1865, and immediately after returned home and engaged in farming. In 1867 he bought a farm of 125 acres, partly improved, and January 1, 1868, he married Miss Elizabeth More, a daughter of John U. More, an early settler of Bradley County, who came here from Georgia in 1848. Mr. Hanna lived on this farm until 1873, when he sold out and bought his present place, a farm of 200 acres, in Dallas Township, seventy-five acres now under cultivation, and does general farming, raising a variety of crops. He has a good farm, and raises about one-half bale of cotton to the acre. He is an earnest advocate of school matters, and has served several terms as director. He belongs to Dallas Wheel 1227. The family are members of the Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church, South. To the union of Mr.and Mrs. Hanna were born nine children, all living, viz: William Arnold, Julia Price, John F., Sarah E., Mary L., Laura, Martha, Frances and Beatrice.[INDEX]


Hon. R. G. Harper, a prominent lawyer of Hampton, was born in Terrell County, Georgia, in 1857, the eldest in a family of seven children born to Frank M. and Fannie A. (Watts) Harper, both natives of Georgia. His father was a lawyer by profession and was prominent, politically and in his profession. He represented Terrell County in the General Assembly of Georgia, and in 1874, at the time of his death, would have been nominated for Congress from that district, had he lived. His mother still resides at the old home. The subject of this sketch was reared in the town, attended private school, and the Macon University at Macon, Georgia, for one year, then took a literary course. In 1879 he began to read law, while engaged in farming the home place for the family; he continued to farm for four years, but in eight months after beginning the study of law under a private tutor, he was admitted to the bar at Terrell Superior Court, in November, 1879. In 1880 the management of the farm again fell into his hands. In the spring of 1881 he commenced to practice at home. In the fall of 1881 he came to Arkansas and settled at Hampton, where he at once began the practice of his profession, his practice grew steadily, and he soon secured a favorable reputation. In 1883 he was united in marriage to Miss Bessie Strong, daughter of Isaac B. and Laura Strong, early settlers here. At that time he purchased his present home in Hampton. Mr. Harper has always been one of the political workers for Calhoun County, and in October, 1882, qualified in the office of county school examiner, and served in this capacity for four years. In 1884 he was elected as representative of Calhoun County, served on the legal committee, being instrumental in the passage of the Game and Fish Bill, also a law for the landlord in furnishing tenants with provision, also a bill reducing the penalty for removing and disposing of mortgaged property. In 1886, Mr. Harper lost his excellent wife, who died in July , leaving one child, a boy, Frank. In November, 1887, he as married to Miss Lulu G. Terrell, a well-known citizen of Union County. To this union one child, Fannie, was born. Mr. and Mrs. Harper are members of the Baptist Church; Mr. Harper has always been a worker in the Sabbath school. He has an excellent practice, extending through the counties of this judicial district and other counties in Southern Arkansas. In connection with this practice, he does most of the foreign collection of this section, also does some real estate business. Mr. Harper is a gentleman of education and refinement, energy and ambition, he is well thought of, and enjoys a good practice. He is engaged (slightly) in farming, and as a proof of what may be expected by careful cultivation, it may be stated that last year (1889), Mr. Harper, raised twelve bales of cotton on fourteen acres of land.[INDEX]


Mrs. Sarah A. Hearnsberger. There are in every community some persons who, on account of their industry, and practical management of the affairs which fall to their lot, deserve special credit, and such is Mrs. Hearnsberger. She is the relict of Stephen Emmett Hearnsberger., and the daughter of John Hutchins and Jane M. (Thurman) Phillips, both of whom were born in Georgia, the former in 1792. The mother's death occurred on September 29, 1865, and the father's in 1856, and both departed life in this county, whither they had moved from Alabama at an early day. Of the seven children born to their marriage four lived to maturity, and two are still living, Mrs. Hearnsberger being the fifth in order of birth. Her life up to the age of thirteen years was passed in Tennessee, but her parents then moved to Alabama, and for the next thirteen years this State continued to be her home. Later they came to Arkansas, and in 1850 she was married to Mr. Hearnsberger, who had come to this State with his parents in 1846, among the early settlers, and chose a home in Calhoun County. He was born in Georgia in 1826, and was a son of Stephen Zealous and Rebecca (Chaffen) Hearnsberger, both of whom were of German descent. Their marriage was blessed in the birth of eight children, seven of whom are still living: Aletha J., (now the widow of James Talbot ), John H. (married and living on a farm near his mother; he holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South), Jesse P. (a resident of Fordyce), Elizabeth (wife of H. Burrow), William E. (also married and residing on a farm near his mother), Sara W. and Cornelius H. Mr. Hearnsberger engaged in agricultural pursuits, and was an excellent farmer, and, above all, thoroughly honest. At the time of his death, which occurred on November 12, 1889, he was the owner of a farm of 320 acres of valuable land, and left his widow and children well provided for. He was a member of the Missionary Baptist, as is also his widow and four of their children.[INDEX]


Squire William M. Hines, of Jackson Township, enjoys the reputation of being a substantial and progressive farmer and an intelligent and thoroughly posted man in all public affairs. He was born in Monroe County, Georgia, November 20, 1826, the third of six children born to Rister T. and Jane (Charles) Hines, natives of Georgia. His father was a farmer in that State until 1849, when he came to Arkansas and settled in Bradley County, where he died in 1851; his wife followed in 1862. The subject of this sketch was reared to farm labor; he had but limited educational advantages and practically educated himself. He was married in Georgia, November 3, 1847, and the year following he came to Arkansas and settled in Bradley County, where he entered 260 acres of wild land which he at once commenced to improve. In 1862 he went to Pine Bluff and enlisted in Capt. Edward's company Infantry, and served in the Trans-Mississippi Department, doing detailed work mostly in the commissary department. At the close of the war he came home and commenced farming again. His wife had, in the meantime, moved to Calhoun County, and so our subject made that county his home. He owns a good farm of 240 acres, 150 acres under cultivation, and does general farming, making a specialty of cotton, which yields an average of one-half bale to the acre. Mr. Hines has cleared about 100 acres from the timber. He has always been active, politically, and in 1866 he was elected justice of the peace eight years in succession, was re-elected in 1884, and is still serving in that capacity. He has always been a prominent citizen. At one time he had the entire business of the county. In 1866 he secured the post-office of Summersville, being the first post-master, and held this office for ten years. By his first wife he had six children; she died in November, 1861, and in December, 1862, Mr. Hines was again married, this time to Miss Julia A. Johns, a native of Georgia, and by this later marriage had eleven children. Four of his children are still at home.[INDEX]


L. J. Hollis. One of the most enterprising farmers of this section, and one who possesses more than ordinary business ability, is Mr. L. J. Hollis, whose name heads this sketch. He resides in River Township, Calhoun County, on his fine farm, comprising 400 acres of land, about 125 acres of which he has under an excellent state of cultivation. He has erected on this farm a steam saw and grist mill and cotton-gin on all of which he does work for the public. His steam gin is the largest and most complete in River Township. Mr. Hollis was born in Tippah County, Mississippi, April 3, 1843, a son of Jeremiah and Sarah Hollis, who moved from Mississippi to Arkansas, in December, 1843, and settled in Ouachita County, whence they moved to Calhoun County in 1850. Here they settled permanently and resided until their death. Our subject was reared in Calhoun County, where he obtained a limited education. At the age of twenty-years he began doing for himself, engaging in farming, which occupation he has since followed. In 1868 Mr. Hollis was married to Miss Alice Haslan, a daughter of J. H. and L. C. Haslan. She was born and reared in Arkansas. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hollis have been born seven children, viz: Sarah B. (who died in 1870), Mittie L., John H., Lou H., Mattie, Jerry T., Emmet A. In June 1861, Mr. Hollis enlisted in the late war as private in Company C, Thirty-third Arkansas Infantry, from which company he was transferred in 1864, to the Third Arkansas Cavalry, where he served until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Mansfield, Jenkins' Ferry, and was in the famous Missouri Raid. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, which he joined in 1887. He is an Independent in his political views, but does not take an active part in politics. He is a good farmer and neighbor, and takes a deep interest in the public welfare.[INDEX]


J. W. Hollis, a prominent planter of River Township, was born in Ouachita county, Arkansas in 1845,the fifth of a family of thirteen children born to Jeremiah and Sallie A. (Puckett) Hollis, natives of Tennessee, where the former followed farming until 1842. He then went to Mississippi and from there came to Arkansas, settling in Ouachita County, where he entered land and lived for seven years. He then bought a farm in what is known as River Township, consisting of 160 acres, and made extensive improvements on the place. He was the first sheriff of this county and served three terms; he was also the first postmaster of Locust Bayou post-office, serving for three years; he was also a justice of the peace in that township for a number of years. He died in 1883 and by his death the county lost one of her best known and most highly respected citizens. The mother died in 1886. Our subject was raised and lived on the farm, attending the common schools until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Texas Troops and served in the Trans-Mississippi Department. He was in the battles of Mansfield, Little Rock, Pleasant Grove, Yellow Bayou (Louisiana) and with Gen. Price on his famous Missouri campaign, and participated in all the battles of that trip. His regiment surrendered at Marshall, Texas. Our subject then returned to Arkansas and engaged in farming for two years, and then went to Tennessee, where he remained for three years following various occupations, then he went to Texas and farmed for seven years, and in 1881 came back to Calhoun County, Arkansas and bought a farm of forty acres of land in River Township, most of it under cultivation. In 1869 he was married to Miss Mollie Hassell, a native of Tennessee, by whom he has four children; Minnie, Joseph, Jessie and Mary, all healthy, interesting children. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Hollis takes a deep interest in religious and educational matters, and has been school director for nine years and takes an active part in promoting the public interests. He is now secretary of Calhoun County Wheel, Farmers' Alliance and Industrial Union.[INDEX] [NEXT PAGE]