gdspdjj.

Goodspeed's Biographies

William James. In compiling a correct history of Calhoun County, mention should certainly be made of one of its oldest and best known residents. Mr. James has been a resident of this county ever since its organization in 1850, and is still residing on the place on which he settled on first coming to this county. He was married in 1841, wedding Miss Mariah Brazil, by whom he has had a family of twelve children, viz: Robert, Lydia J., Cynthia, John, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary M., Alabama and Tennessee (twins), George, Nancy A., and one child unnamed. Tennessee, George and the one unnamed are dead. The rest of the children, with the exception of Nancy A., who married Mr. Thomas J. Owens, and resides in Perry County, Arkansas, are all residents of Calhoun County. Mrs. James was a daughter of V. E. and Virginia Brazil, who moved from Illinois to Missouri, thence to Arkansas, settling in Saline County in 1828, where they lived for sometime. They finally moved to Ouachita County, where they resided until their death. Mr. James enlisted in the late war in February, 1863, in Company K, Thirty-third Arkansas Infantry, and served as private until the close of the war. He participated in the battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana. In politics Mr. James is Democratically inclined; in 1862 he was elected as bailiff. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, which he joined sixteen years ago, also the Farmers' Union. He is also a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, which he joined in 1850, and his family are all church members, with the exception of his son, Robert. Mr. James was born in Ripley County, Missouri, March 3, 1822, the youngest of seventeen children born to Carey James, a resident of Ripley County, and came to Saline County, Arkansas in 1833, where he was raised by his brother, George, his parents having died previously. As schools were very scarce in this county at that time, his education was extremely limited. In 1844 he moved from Saline County to Ouachita, and resided in this latter county until the organization of Calhoun County, when he moved on the farm where he occupies at present. His farm consists of 320 acres of land, with about sixty-five acres under cultivation, which he devotes principally to the raising of cotton and corn, raising one bale of the former to three acres of land, and fifteen bushels of corn to the acre, without fertilizing. By using fertilizers he could raise one-half bale of cotton and thirty bushels of corn to the acre. He is one of the substantial farmers of this section, is a worthy citizen, and is respected by all. [INDEX]


Dr. W. B. Jones, one of the active and enterprising citizens of this community, has been identified with the interests of Arkansas since 1870, at which time he came to this State and settled in Hampton, where he lived for two years, and then bought a farm of 240 acres, one mile south of Summersville. He now owns 1,000 acres, 400 under cultivation, on which he raises a variety of crops, but devotes considerable attention to cotton; the balance of the land is mostly good timber land. The Doctor is interested in raising cattle also, and is constantly clearing up new land. In 1888 he formed a paternership with E. Cornish, and they erected a steam cotton-gin and saw mill. It is well equipped and has a capacity of eight bales and can saw 11,000 feet of lumber. The firm name is Jones & Cornish. The Doctor is also engaged in the practice of his profession and has a very extensive practice as large indeed, as any one in this section of the State. In 1863, he was married to Miss Mollie Hancock, a native of Memphis, by whom he has ten children, all of whom are living, viz: W. B., Jr., Enoch T., Mary J., Mitt L., Effie, Erner, Cale, Mollie and Floyd and Wilkin (twins). Mrs. Jones is a worthy and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Jones is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is quite active, politically, and votes with the Democratic party. He takes an active interest in educational matters and served as school director for fourteen years, and is still serving in that capacity. He is adopting improved methods of farming, and is an active and progressive citizen. Dr. Jones was born in Tennessee in 1842, son of William Jones, of Tennessee, a victim of the yellow fever, who died in Memphis of that disease, contracted while attending patients in 1878. Our subject was reared in Hardeman County, Tennessee where he attended the common schools while young. He began the study of medicine in 1857 under the instructions of his father in Memphis. He studied for three years and then entered the New School Medicine at New Orleans. At the outbreak of the war he begin practicing at Saulsbury, Tennessee, where he remained about five years, and then went to Memphis and practiced until 1870, when on account of ill health he came to Arkansas. He has since fully recovered his health, and is now one of the heartiest men in the county.[INDEX]


H. M. Lucas, a prominent farmer in Jackson Township, was born in Tennessee in 1832, the eldest of a family of ten children born to Ansil and Frances (Johnson) Lucas, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina, respectively. His father lives in Tennessee, where he was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1845; his widow died in 1875. Our subject was reared on a farm, attending the common schools, until he reached the age of nineteen years and then began farming for himself. He purchased a farm and then sold it, and in 1851, came to Arkansas, settling in Jackson Township, Calhoun County, where he rented for a few years, and then entered the farm on which he now resides, consisting of 153 acres, forty acres of which he has cleared. He has a good orchard, fair buildings and does general farming, raising cotton and corn, the former of which yields one-half bale to the acre, and the latter fifteen bushels. In 1857 Mr. Lucas was united to Miss Josephine Russell, a native of Alabama. She died in 1871, leaving five children, viz: Mary Frances, Martha Anne, Elizabeth (who died in 1884, at the age of 20 years), Malinda (wife of George Williams, residing in Jackson Township), and William Monroe. In 1873 Mr. Lucas was again united in marriage, this time to Miss Elizabeth Harcrow, daughter of Harris Harcrow, an old settler in this county. To this union were born three children, viz: Janetta, Sallie, and Myra (who died in 1885). Mrs. Lucas died in 1885, and in 1980 Mr. Lucas married Mrs. Josephine Webb. Mr. Lucas is an advocate of schools and churches, being a consistent member of the Canaan Baptist Church, and is active in all meritorious enterprises. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-fourth Arkansas Regiment and was in the battles at Arkansas Post. He was with Price on his celebrated Missouri raid, and participated in all the battles of that campaign. At the close of the war he returned to Arkansas, and engaged in farming.[INDEX] [NEXT PAGE]