gdspdtt

Goodspeed's Biographies

D. H. Tobin is another of the prominent farmers of Franklin Township. Born in this county, in 1850, and fifth in a family of eleven children born to Daniel H. and Rebecca (Harrison) Tobin, natives of Alabama, where the former followed farming until 1845 when he came to Arkansas and settled in Union County where he remained two years. Here he bought a farm which he soon sold and removed to Calhoun County, where he entered a tract of 300 acres. He lived here about ten years and cleared about 300 acres and made extensive improvements. He removed from this State to Texas in December, 1859, and bought a large tract of land in that State; he remained there until December, 1865, when he came back to Arkansas and settle don a farm six miles south of Hampton. Here he engaged in farming on an extensive scale with free labor, but it did not prove successful. He died in 1876. From the advent of Mr. Tobin in this section he took a great interest in its affairs. When the county seat of this county was decided upon, Mr. Tobin surveyed the land and gave the town its name after his old friend, Col. Hampton of Hamburg, Arkansas. He was interested in the steamboats on the Ouachita in connection with his brother John W. Tobin who was captain. Their first boat was the "R. W. McCrea" a fine side-wheel steamer. This interest was destroyed at the outbreak of the war. He was in the Confederate service for three years, engaged mostly in the Southwest. He was in the Confederate service for three years, engaged mostly in the Southwest. He also had two sons, elder brothers of our subject, in the war. Henry enlisted at the age of fourteen years and served for three years. He died March 21, 1879; his birth occurred March 21, 1849. John W. enlisted in 1862 and served until the close of the war; he died in 1876, two weeks before his father's death. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools of his native State, and remained at home until his marriage in 1873, to Miss Jennie Barker, a native of Calhoun County, daughter of Sheriff Barker. He then entered a homestead and soon added by purchase 360 acres, making 480, 103 acres of which he has under cultivation. He raises mostly cotton and potatoes, raising one -half bale to the acre and other crops in proportion. He has a good young orchard, fair dwelling and good outbuildings. This is the result of Mr. Tobin's industry and labor as he started in life poor, at the close of the war. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Tobin were born six children, one of whom is dead, viz: Henry Augustus, John (died in 1882, at the age of five years), Oll, Effie, and Grove Cleveland (Born November 4, 1884), the date of the election in which Cleveland was elected President, and Mary. He takes an active interest in school matters and has served as school director. Although not active politically, he votes with the Democratic party, and is one of the whole souled planters of this community. [INDEX]


A. J. Tomlinson. This enterprising and successful young farmer is well and favorably known to all the residents of Polk Township. He was born in Moro Township, this county, in 1856, the fifth of a family of nine children born to Perry and Emeline (Gather) Tomlinson, who claim North Carolina as their native State. Our subject was reared in the village of Chambersville, and worked in his father's tan-yard until the age of sixteen years, attending the common schools a few months each year. When he was sixteen years of age, his father moved to Camden, where he lived for a short time and then came to Calhoun County, and bought the farm, of which our subject still owns a part. He was married at the age of twenty years to Miss Mollie I. Means, a daughter of T.N. Means. His father then gave him eighty acres of land, on which he erected a good substantial dwelling, and has cleared forty-five acres, which he now has under an excellent state of cultivation. In 1886 he donated forty acres of land near former farm, and soon moved to the new place, which he has since made his home; on this place he has cleared about twelve acres, built a good home, outbuildings, etc. He raises a variety of crops, but devotes his attention principally to raising cotton and corn. Mrs. Tomlinson is a worthy member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson, seven children have been born, all of whom are living, viz: Willie, Hattie, Emma, Lennie, Harvey, Vergie and Ethel. Mr. Tomlinson takes an active interest in politics, and votes with the Democratic parity. He is an earnest advocate of schools and all worthy enterprises. [INDEX]


Huphrey A. Tomlinson, a resident of Calhoun County, Hampton post office, Polk Township, was born in Iredell County, North Carolina, March 15, 1824, the third child born to Archibald and Margaret (Claywell) Tomlinson, natives of Maryland and Virginia, respectively. They settled in North Carolina, and from there in 1840, they moved to Fulton County, Georgia where they continued to reside until 1864. They then emigrated to Albany, Georgia, where they both died in 1866. Our subject was partially raised in North Carolina and partly in Georgia, and in both of these States he attended the common schools, and received such an education at these schools afforded. At the age of twenty-one he began doing for himself. He first engaged in railroading, which he followed for thirteen years, then farmed for two years, and then returned to railroading, which pursuit he followed for twenty one years. In March, 1862, he enlisted in the Confederate service and served as orderly sergeant under Captain Williams, in the Nineteenth Arkansas Regiment, where he continued to served until the close of the war. The principal engagement he was in, was the battles of Baker Creek and Big Black in 1863, when he was captured and taken to Fort Delaware, where he lay in prison for four months. From there he was carried to Point Lookout, Maryland, where he was confined in prison four months more. He was then carried to Richmond and exchanged on parole. He then lay in Richmond about one month, and from there returned to his home in Union County, Arkansas when he was ordered to report, which he did, and served under Capt. John Meek, until the close of the war. Mr. Tomlinson was married in 1854, to Miss M. A. V. Harrison, a native of Georgia, daughter of William and Nancy Harrison. To this union there were born thirteen children, eight of whom are living. They are as follows: William A., Georgia M., Margaret C., Humphrey A., Nettie, Robert L., Rollin A. and Irma. Since 1865 our subject has been engaged in farming, at which he has been unusually successful. He and his son, William A., own 360 acres of land, with 100 under cultivation. Mrs. Tomlinson died November 4, 1880. Mr. Tomlinson and seven of the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In his political views he affiliates with the Democratic party, and takes an active part in politics. Mr. Tomlinson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, which he joined in Griffin, Georgia, in 1845. He is also a leading member of the Farmers' Alliance and Industrial Union of Calhoun County. He takes a deep interest in all public enterprises, and is held in high esteem by his neighbors and all who know him. [INDEX]


W. A. Tomlinson, the efficient sheriff of Calhoun County, was born in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1856, the eldest of a family of thirteen children born to H. A. and Martha V. (Harrison) Tomlinson, natives of Georgia and North Carolina, respectively. The father was for a long time in the employ of the railroad, beginning as a hand and working up to engineer. In 1859 he moved to Arkansas, settling in Union County, where he bought land and followed farming until the outbreak of the war. In 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate army and served three years. He was taken prisoner and confined at Fort Delaware for several months. At the close of the war he returned to his home and farmed for one year in Ashley County, then in Union County until 1880, when he moved to Calhoun County, where he still resides. Our subject was reared on a farm, attended the common schools and one course at Soule's Commercial College at New Orleans. His first occupation after leaving school was to cut a raft of timber on the Ouachita River and float it down to New Orleans. He then spent a few months in Texas, but in 1880 returned to Calhoun County and made a crop on his father's farm. He now owns a farm in partnership with his father, of 320 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation. In 1881 he was employed as deputy sheriff for three years. In 1884 he was elected county treasurer and served on term. In 1886 he was elected sheriff, and was re-elected in 1888. He has always been active in politics, and votes with the Democratic party. In January, 1885, he was united in marriage to Miss Ida Shofner, a native of Calhoun County, and daughter of H. P. Shofner, a pioneer of this section. Both Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1888 Mr. Tomlinson joined Mr. Pickett in a drug and grocery store, under the firm name of Pickett & Tomlinson, and in 1889 added to this a line of general furnishing goods. Mr. Tomlinson is one of the active spirits of this county, a good citizen and a progressive business man. [INDEX]


J. B. Wood. Among the numerous young men of Calhoun County who have successfully fought the battle of life, and are now ranked among the leading citizens, may be mentioned Mr. J. B. Wood, treasurer of this county, who was born in Arkansas in 1851, the fifth in a family of twelve children born to William and Mary (Ware) Wood, natives of Mississippi, in which State the father followed farming until 1840, when he came to Arkansas, and settled near where Summerville is now built; here he entered a tract of land, also bought some from a Mr. Nelson. He cleared about 400 acres and made a pleasant home, and lived here until his death in 1877. The mother died in 1878. The father and mother were members of the Baptist Church, and were zealous workers in the same. Our subject was reared on the farm, receiving a fair education at the common country schools and remained at home until he attained his majority, and then engaged in the saw-mill business in Franklin Township. In 1875 he bought a farm of 120 acres in this township, to which he has since added, until now he owns 216 acres, seventy-five of which he has under an excellent state of cultivation and has made many other improvement on the place. In 1885, in partnership with his brother, S. V. Wood, he started a general store at Summerville, under the firm name of S. V. Wood & Co; here they do a large and constantly increasing business. In 1886, he built a new saw and grist mill at Hampton, well equipped with the latest improved machinery and furnishings. He has taken an active interest in politics, and affiliates with the Democratic party. In 1886 he was elected treasurer of this county, and in 1888 was re-elected without the slightest effort on his part. Mr. Wood was married in 1875 to Miss Susie B. Frost, a native of Calhoun County, and daughter of J. W. Frost, a pioneer in this county. The result of this union was six children, viz: Lucy E., William W., Ralda, Leroy and Norma, and Vera (who died at the age of three years). The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and both Mr. and Mrs. Wood are zealous workers in both church and Sunday school. Mr. Wood being superintendent of the latter. Mr. Wood is one of the active citizens of this section, always striving to assist in all worthy enterprises. [INDEX]


B. H. Wood is a member of the firm of S. V. Wood & Co., general merchants at Summerville, and was born in Jackson Township, Calhoun County, in 1862, the youngest of a family of twelve children born to William and Mary Wood. Our subject was reared on the farm and attended the common schools of this county. He also attended the academy at Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas for one year, and at Mount Lebanon, Louisiana, for two years, and the Commercial College of the Kentucky University at Lexington, Kentucky. After completing his education he engaged in farming for one year. February 23, 1883, he started, in partnership with his two brothers, S. V. and J. B. Wood, the present business at Summerville. They started with the small capital of $1,800 and have extended and increased their business every year since. They do a general furnishing business, and carry a stock of from $4,000 to $5,000 of staples and fancy groceries, dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats, caps, hardware, Queenware, and general plantation supplies. The business has, since it started, been under the charge and control of our subject, who has built it into much he largest business in town. In September, 1884, Mr. Wood purchased a farm of 124 acres adjoining the village of Summerville. It is now well improved with dwellings and all outbuildings; besides this he owns a four-acre lot in town, on which is a pleasant home. He has eighty acres under cultivation, all of which is good land, well watered, etc. He devotes his attention principally to raising cotton, which, with good cultivation, yields one half bale to the acre. Mr. Wood was married in 1884 to Miss Bula Harrell, daughter of Bennett Harrell, an old pioneer of this county. To this union were born three children, viz: Mary Den , George Lusher, and an infant daughter unnamed. Mr. Wood takes a deep interest in educational matters,and is a liberal supporter of all laudable enterprises. He is a staunch Democrat, and takes and active interest in the politics of the county. February 16, 1886, he was appointed postmaster of Summerville, and still holds this office. [INDEX]


John M. Wright, one of the substantial farmers of Moro Township, Fordyce post-office, was born in Georgia, August 1, 1830, a son of William Wright, also a native of Georgia. His father emigrated from Georgia to Alabama in 1835 and remained there until 1869, when he moved to Mississippi, where he died in 1878. His paternal grandfather came from England and was a solider in the Revolutionary War. His mother, Lucinda (Robinson) Wright, was born in Georgia and died in Mississippi in 1882. She was the mother of ten children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and eight of whom - five daughters and three sons - are still living. Our subject was the third of these ten children. He was raised in Alabama, and received but a very meager education, attending school but six weeks. He was married in Alabama, in February, 1857 to Miss Mary I. Satterwhite, a native of Georgia, born December 10, 1831. She was the daughter of Dawson and Martha (Simmons) Satterwhite, natives of Georgia, and of German descent. They had six children, Mrs. Wright being the third, five of whom are still living. Mr. Satterwhite was a soldier, during the Florida and Indian War, under General Jackson, at the close of which he engaged in his occupation , farming. Both he and wife died in Jasper County, Georgia. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have had four children, two of whom - one son and one daughter - are still living, viz: Daniel J. (married and resides on a farm near his father) and Elizabeth J. (wife of George W. Bryant). Our subject emigrated from Alabama to Mississippi in 1859, where he resided until 1861, when he moved to where he now lives. He has 240 acres in his home farm, about 100 of which are under cultivation. This place was all in the woods when he first settled it. He has 201 and 205 acres in separate tracks in this county; one is an improved farm and the other woods. Mr. Wright has a cotton-gin and gins his own cotton. In March, 1862, Mr. Wright enlisted in the Confederate army, in Company H, Second Arkansas Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, when he returned and settled this farm on which he has since resided. While with his regiment he was engaged in the battle of Shiloh, at Hatchie Bridge, and in many skirmishes. Politically Mr. Wright is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for Seymour. Both he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a good, honest citizen, respected and esteemed by all. [INDEX]


John P. Yeager, another prominent resident of Calhoun County, was born in Mississippi, November 22, 1842. His parents, Michael and Julia W. Yeager, moved to Arkansas from Mississippi in 1844, settling in Ouachita County, from which they moved to Calhoun County in 1853, where they continued to reside until their death. Our subject was reared in Arkansas, principally in Calhoun County, obtaining a limited education at the common country schools, and at he age of twenty-two years began doing for himself. His principal occupation since has been farming; he owns a fine farm of 160 acres of land, with thirty-five acres under cultivation. In connection with his farming operations he also operates a saw and grist mill, and does ginning for the public, and is engaged in a small mercantile business, furnishing some of his neighbors with supplies. Mr. Yeager has been twice married, first to Miss Dona Flynr, daughter of Pittman Flynr, a native of Mississippi, who bore him four children, viz: Henry D., Robert P. and Annie and Nannie, all dead except Robert F. His first wife died December, 1868. Mr. Yeager was again married in 1871 to Mrs. H. J. Riggs, by whom he had four children: May E., Martha F., Laura S., and Louise C., all of whom are living with their parents except the eldest daughter, May E., who married Mr. Z. N. Brooks, and resides in Calhoun County. Mr. Yeager enlisted in the late war in 1862, under Captain Thomas D. Thompson, in Tappan's brigade. He served under Captain Thompson for some time, and then later under Captain Radford, engaging in several skirmishes, but came out all right. Politically Mr. Yeager affiliates with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, which he joined in 1875, also the Farmers' Union. He has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since 1859, and is deeply interested in forwarding the religious, educational and all worthy enterprises in his community. [INDEX]


John E. York. In writing a history of Calhoun County, mention should be made of the man whose name heads this sketch. He was born in this county July 30, 1855, being the eldest child of Thomas M. and Nancy J. York, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Tennessee. They were married in this county about 1854, and here they continued until the death of the father. The mother is still living in this county. The subject of this sketch was reared and schooled in this county, receiving a fair education in the common country schools and at the age of twenty-one years began doing for himself, selecting farming as his occupation. He now owns eighty acres of land, thirty five of which are under an excelllent state of cultivation. He was married in Calhoun Couty, Arkansas in 1876 to Miss Viola Ritchie, fifth child of Samuel and Elizabeth Ritchie, who moved from Pontotoe County, Mississsippi, settling in Calhoun County, Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. York have had born to them four children viz: Anna I., Thomas S., Harvey A., and William B., all whom are living. Mr. York dose not take an active part in politics, and votes with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Farmers' Union which he joined about 1886. Both Mr. & Mrs. York are members of the Presbyterian Church, the former joined in 1888 and the latter in 1875. Mr. York takes a deep interest in all public matters, and is highly esteemed and respected by his neighbors. [INDEX]


SOURCE: The Goodspeed Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas, Goodspeed Publishing Company 1890.