ARKANSAS CITY DEMOCRAT
1911 HISTORIC EDITION
William Downey, Editor
(TRANSCRIBER'S NOTES: This edition is in magazine format, 16 pages of type and pictures, printed in black. The date of publication is not given; the year 1911 was determined from statements in the articles. A four-page introductory message was not transcribed because it lacked names and events of interest to genealogical researchers.)
JAS. P. HUGHES
CARPENTER AND CONTRACTOR
Jas. P. Hughes, the subject of this sketch was born in Petersburg, Va., where he was educated and later moved to Chicago, Illinois, where he spent some years working as a carpenter and contractor, and later moved to Little Rock, Arkansas, where he continued the business successfully for a number of years and then moved to Arkansas City, where he is the leading contractor of the town. He has his own planing mill and buys his lumber in carload lots and shapes and planes it here in the city. He has built some of the finest residences in the city, including the Lambe and Demarke residences, both of which are probably the two best residences of the city. He also assisted on the Desha Bank & Trust Company's building, and was supervisor of our magnificent $35,000 court house, a picture of which appears on the front page of this history. Mr. Hughes is a single man and lives here in the city with his sister who keeps house for him. He has been successful as a contractor since coming here and by far the leading contractor of the city.
W. D. PRESTON
W. D. Preston was born in Richmond, Virginia, February 5th, 1867, and moved to Ashley County, Arkansas when but a child and later to Monticello, where he was educated and lived for fifteen years. He attended school there having as his teacher the Hon. David A. Gates, now State Tax Commissioner for the State of Arkansas.
Later he worked for Harper & Wilks in the grocery business in Monticello. He then moved to Arkansas City and went to work in the oil mill under Col. Ed. Reedy. He later went into the grocery business for himself here in Arkansas City. He was then appointed City Marshal, which office he held for three or four years and then went back into the grocery business again. In 1887 he ran for sheriff of Desha County against D. O. Porter and was elected. Again in 1889 he ran for sheriff against H. L. Henry and was elected. In 1891 he again ran for sheriff, this time against J. S. Johnston and was elected. In 1893 he again ran for sheriff and was elected over John Smith, his opponent. In 1895 he ran again for sheriff against Henry Townsend and this time he was defeated, but in 1897 he again ran against Mr. Townsend and defeated him. In 1899 he again made the race, this time against Judge W. F. Bessellieu, who at that time was probably the strongest man politically in the county and he defeated the Judge. Thus his life since he has entered politics has practically been one long series of triumphant success.
Mr. Preston is a natural born politician and leader of men. Had he lived in war times he would have been a soldier and a grand leader of soldiers. He can make men do as he wishes them to without an apparent effort on his part. Many men in Desha County almost worship him and hold him up as an example for their children to grow up by. He is ordinarily a very quiet man and will sit quietly in his office or place of business and one would think was paying little attention to what was going on and yet when it is necessary he knows all that was said or done better than any man present. He has a natural tact for observing all that goes on around him and yet appearing to notice nothing. He has been successful as a man hunter for the reason that he is a close observer and never forgets a face. Few criminals ever get entirely away from him although several in the last few years have broken jail and escaped for the time being, practically all of them have been captured and brought back and made to stand trial. Probably most of the success that has come to Mr. Preston, both as an officer and as a politician, is the fact that he is constantly on the job and awake to all that is going on around him and is busy from soon in the morning until late at night at something that is for the interest of either his office or for his political interest, and it looks like he can be sheriff of Desha County just as long as he cares to make application for the position. He has besides his interests here in Arkansas City, a mercantile business in McGehee and is interested in another in Watson and owns a large stock ranch at the Carslo place near Arkansas City.
SOMETHING ABOUT McGEHEE, ARKANSAS
McGehee is a town about the size of Arkansas City, and is located twelve miles from here. It is strictly a railroad town, being the division point of four lines of the Iron Mountain. It also has the shops of that road. It is growing rapidly and improving along all lines. Write of George W. Eking, mayor.
THE CITY BAKERY
The City Bakery is owned and operated by E. and W. Reitzammer and of this family which is an extensive one much could be said. J. G. Reitzammer, the father, being the founder of the business, was born in Bavaria, Germany, and came to the United States and settled at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1870. He spent two years in Cincinnati working at his trade of a baker and then moved to Louisville, Kentucky, where he lived for a number of years and was married to Miss A. Reinhardt. He moved to Arkansas in 1882 and opened up a little bakery in a little building that stood where the Kroeger rooming house now stands. Later he bought the land where the City Bakery building now stands and erected a splendid frame building after his own design and had the work cone by day labor and had the building built just to suit him. Fate however was unkind to him and the building was burned. He then erected the present building of brick of which the above is an excellent picture. The bakery business is done in the rear of the building where all the modern conveniences are employed and all the science known to modern bakers are used to turn out all of the up-to-date products of a modern bakery, and when we say first-class it is not over-drawing the mark for the City Bakery is much in advance of the bakeries usually found in towns of the size of Arkansas City.
Mr. and Mrs. Reitzammer have six sons and one daughter all living in Arkansas City and all practical businessmen. George being the proprietor of the "Never Sweat Lumber Co.", E. A. or Ed. being the bookkeeper for the big Lacy-Kimball store, and also owner of the City Drug Store. W. C. is the deputy Circuit Clerk of the County. Louie was until recently the owner of the City Drug Store. R. C. or Rheiny is the manager of the Frank Ramus Grocery and Meat Market. Leonard is a partner in the Bakery business and Miss Anne Mae recently married to Attorney E. E. Hopson of this city. Thus the seven children, all living in the home town and all holding either good lucrative positions or in business for themselves are an example of a family that is seldom found where all of them remain in the home town. J. G. Reitzammer, the father, and the daughter spent six months of the past year in Europe, visiting the points of interest where Mr. Reitzammer spent his childhood days. Miss Reitzammer was married shortly after their return to Attorney Hopson. Of the remainder of the family, only E. A. and W. C. are married, all of the others remaining with their father and mother.
ATTORNEY H. H. HAYS
Attorney H. H. Hays was born in Marianna, Lee County, Arkansas, where he secured his start in an education and was later graduated from the S. N. U. Law Department of Huntingdon, Tennessee, and was admitted to the bar in Marianna before Judge H. N. Hutton, for whom he was named. Attorney Hays practiced law for sometime in Marianna and then was appointed claim agent for the St. L. I. M. & S. R. R., which position he held for a number of years. He was married in 1903 and has two interesting children. The above is an excellent picture of the Hays home which is situated on one of the best residence streets in Arkansas and less than a block from the County Court House.
Mr. Hays moved to Arkansas City and began the practice of law in 1901 and was a success from the start. He is what one would call a natural born lawyer and has more than the ordinary ability to make the judge or jury see things from his standpoint. Few lawyers in the State have the natural talent possessed by Mr. Hays in this way and this to a large extent accounts for his success as an attorney. He is one lawyer who does nothing but practice law. Many lawyers take up insurance or real estate and loan or some of the many sidelines that fit so well with the practice of law. Not so with Mr. Hays, he does nothing but practice law and says when he cannot make a living at the practice of law he will quit it entirely. Mr. Hays is probably the best criminal lawyer in this part of the State. He is attorney for the Desha Levee Board and has his office in their brick building, one block East of the post office. We predict that Mr. Hays will be heard from in the next few years as one of the most successful lawyers in the State.
JAMES E. MURPHY
The above picture is an excellent one of the J. E. Murphy Meat Market and Livery Barn. Mr. Murphy has been in business in Arkansas City for twelve years having come to this place from Mississippi and opened a small meat market some years ago. Mr. Murphy, when he first came to this county, worked in the timber business and around logging camps and by careful management saved enough capital to start a little meat market in a little building across from where the post office now stands. He kept the business running and saved his money until he was able to start the livery business and increase his business in the meat market. Later he built him a building of his own and conducted both the livery and meat market in his own building. He has lately leased the livery barn to Hanchey Brothers and he has put in a full line of up-to-date fresh groceries and feed and is now running both the grocery and meat market business. Jim, as everyone calls him, is a natural born merchant and has a way that makes him friends. He is a single man about 35 years of age and as a merchant has been a success from the start. His business is rapidly increasing and he is securing a larger trade each month and we predict in a few years that he will own one of the large business places of the city.
DR. J. M. STUART
The subject of this sketch was born in Neshoba County, Mississippi, July 26th, 1867. He moved from that County to Attalia County, Mississippi in 1899. He was educated in the common schools of Neshoba County and at Philadelphia and Plattsburg (Mississippi). He later entered Lexington Normal College and then taught in the public schools of Neshoba. He spent two years in Holbrook Normal College, Knoxville, Tennessee.
He entered Louisville Medical College in the fall of 1896 and graduated in the spring of 1900. He practiced in Louisville two years and moved to Montrose, Arkansas, where he practiced his profession for one year, moving from there to McGehee, Arkansas, where he has built up an extensive practice which he has enjoyed ever since the division has been located there and where he still continues to practice very successfully.
He is a great advocate of better schools, better towns and is heartily in sympathy with the rapid progress the City of McGehee and surrounding country is making.
Demarke Company was organized and opened business in January, 1904; incorporated under the general laws of the State of Arkansas; authorized capital stock, $10,000.00 of which $5,000.00 was subscribed and paid in, in full, at organization.
The Company's present stock of Hardware and Fancy Groceries on hand is about $8,000.00. They do a business of about $50,000.00.
The stockholders are Joe Demarke, Mrs. Lena Lambe, Mrs. Bessie Ogburn and W. M. Ogburn. The business is conducted under the management of W. M. Ogburn. Mr. Joe Demarke is president.
This company was organized about fifteen years ago to do a wholesale and retail mercantile business, with J. E. Lacy, president; C. A. Lacy, vice-president, and A. Kimball, treasurer. The business was a success from the start, the first year's business amounting to something over $35,000.00. They carry in stock at all times a first-class line of goods and cater to the cash trade principally. They at one time did a large furnishing and supply business, but about eight years ago opened a business in Memphis under the name of Lacy Bros. & Kimball, and now do all of the supply business from the Memphis end. The Memphis establishment is also growing fast. They will handle something like a million and a half dollars worth of cotton there this season alone. The Memphis business is directory under the management of Mr. C. A. Lacy. The Lacy-Kimball Co. is under the management of Mr. J. E. Lacy, and Mr. A. Kimball manages the large lumber and timber interests known as the Kimball-Lacy Lumber Co. Mr. J. E. Lacy, who as above stated has charge of the big store here, is a natural born merchant, or it would be impossible for him to handle all of the many complicated and sometimes annoying ends of the immense business, and keep up with it as he does. He is naturally a hard worker, and takes great pride in keeping the business at the head of everything of its kind in the town or county for that matter. The firm employs a large number of salesmen and employees usually connected with such a concern, and it noticeable that the same men stay with the firm year after year. The business is conducted on a very high plane and the employees are looked upon and treated like gentlemen and not as hirelings. Mr. Lacy is also a firm believer in printers' ink, and spends more money in advertising than any other firm in the county, and to this is attributed a large part of its success. All of the many details of this immense business, including the farming interests, so far as the direct looking after the employees on the farms is concerned, are handled by Mr. Lacy himself, and yet he never seems to let it worry him, and he known in the smallest detail all about the immense business.
Mr. Hubert Furr, the hustling Real Estate and Timber Man of Desha County, like many of Arkansas's most progressive citizens, is a native of Tennessee. Since he came to our State in 1892 he has been actively engaged in the timber business and, as a result of his long experiences and close application, he is one of the best informed men as to timber values in the whole country. For several years he has conducted a kind of timber and real estate exchange buying and selling thousands of acres of timber and timber lands. Mr. Furr is ever on the alert to boost Desha County and her many interests. He is one of our most public spirited citizens. The modern and up-to-date dwelling that he has erected on front street is a magnificent home for him and his charming family and a great credit to this little city.
The James Furlong saloon, situated on the corner near the post office, is probably the most popular business place in the city as it is the first saloon reached when coming from the residence district to the business section. Mr. Furlong is a young businessman, and has been in business here for the last eight years, having come here from Arkansas county where he was raised. Mr. Furlong was recently appointed by Governor Donaghey as County Coroner, to fill the unexpired term of C. F. Kroeger, deceased. Mr. Furlong is also the only dealer in coffin and funeral supplies in this part of the county, and carries a well selected stock in this line of goods.
DR. C. P. SMITH
No historical description of this County would be complete without a sketch of Dr. C. P. Smith. Coming from a noted Mississippi family, he is a true type of Southern gentleman. His father was at one time Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Mississippi and many other members of the family have been distinguished for legal and political attainments. After graduating from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Dr. Smith located at Chicot, then a town of about 800 population, situated about three miles above where Arkansas City now stands. In a few months he came on down the river and has been here ever since, laboring among the people of Arkansas City and Desha County as a physician. For nearly forty years he has given his life absolutely in the work of his profession. He has seen the town rise and grow and pass through many stages of progress and he still thinks we have one of the best towns in Southeast Arkansas. For his culture, refined manners and courtesy and universal kindness to his patients he is admired and respected by all. He is a great friend and favorite among the children.
HOOVER & CO.
Hoover & Company is the name you will see over the front of three of the finest confectionery stores and Billiard Parlors in this part of the State. One is here in Arkansas City on Front Street and is the popular place of the city for all of our citizens to meet. They carry here a first class line of all kinds of Confectionery and have Pool Tables in the rear, where our citizens gather of an evening and spend the evening either in conversation or in playing games.
At Dermott, they have a much finer place than the one here in Arkansas City and carry much the same line. At Warren their store is as fine as the average store in the large cities and everything is as good as money can buy.
The firm is composed of Sam Hoover, H. Townsend and A. Dreidel. They are capitalized at about $80,000.00 and have large holdings of real estate both here and in other towns. Mr. Dreidel is mayor of Arkansas City and one of the leading citizens in all plans for the betterment of this country.
W. C. REITZAMMER
W. C. Reitzammer, or Will as he is commonly called, was born in Louisville, Ky., and moved to Arkansas City when he was quite small, where he was educated. He was assistant Postmaster under H. Thane for 13 years, or until the office changed hands, when he took charge of the books for the big Lacy-Kimball mill, which position he resigned a few months ago to accept the deputy circuit clerkship under Mr. Claude McKinnon, which position he now holds. He is married and has one child. He is popular with all classes, being secretary of the local school board and a leader in all things for the betterment of our city. He is well versed in politics and we miss our guess if he does not get into the game in the near future.
McCAIN BROS. & CO.
The firm of McCain Bros. & Company began business in Arkansas City in April 1907. The firm is composed of Messrs. Sam McCain, Hugh McCain and J. P. Findley. The McCain brothers came from Pulaski County, Arkansas, and Mr. Findley from Ashley County. They are all young men full of energy and they have demonstrated their business tact by building up a very enviable trade. By courteous treatment and fair dealings they have won a place in spite of all competition. They do a general merchandise business, carrying a full line of Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots, Shoes and Rubber Goods, Canned Goods and Groceries. You will find them on Front Street in the Demarke building. Mr. Hugh McCain is the bookkeeper and also assists in waiting on customers. Mr. Sam McCain stays in the store all the time and is an excellent salesman. Mr. Findley is on the outside most of the time and stays in the store but little. All of the young men are hustlers and the future of the firm is assured.
R. W. SMITH
R. W. Smith (Uncle Bob, as everyone calls him) is one of the old-timers of the city, and probably takes a more prominent part in all that pertains to the material, social and educational upbuilding of the city than any other man in it. Nothing of a social or entertaining nature is ever undertaken without Uncle Bob at the head. It is as natural for him to take the lead in all matters of this kind as it is for a duck to take to water when it gets near it. If he thinks the city should have an entertainment for any purpose, a Christmas tree or a school concert, or any public meeting of any kind, he will see that it is carried out. If the funds are short and it is too much trouble to go around and collect them, he simply goes and gets them himself, and carries out the entertainment anyway. He is president of the Board of Directors of the special school district, and takes more pains and care of the schools and their interests than all of the other members combined. He visits the schools regularly and is always in the lead in everything that pertains to the schools. Mr. Smith is an ex-Confederate soldier and is very prominent in all of the "Old Boys" gatherings, always attending all of the meetings of the old soldiers far and near. He is proud of his record as a soldier, and is an interesting conversationalist when he can be prevailed upon to speak of his experiences during the war. Mr. Smith is the owner of the water works of which the above is an excellent picture of the standpipe. The water is pumped from a well 635 feet deep and is of a good quality and the pressure has never failed in the time of a serious fire. Mr. Smith is a member of the Methodist church and a leader in all that is undertaken by the church, and is one of its hardest working members. He is also prominent in fraternal circles, and has charge of the K. of P. building and opera house here, and is always a leader in all of their entertainments. Everybody knows and everybody likes Uncle Bob. May he live long and prosper.
CITY DRUG STORE
The City Drug Store, located in the Townsend building near the depot, has been a fixture in Arkansas City ever since the town was incorporated, and has been owned and operated by a number of different people. L. and E. A. Reitzammer have owned this prosperous business for the last few years, until the first of the past December, when Mr. L. Reitzammer severed his connection with the business on account of ill health, and Mr. T. H. Smith purchased his interest. Owners of the new firm of Smith & Reitzammer are both young men and popular with all classes, and they have the foresight to employ an excellent pharmacist, Mr. David H. Emery, who is an old experienced man and knows the drug business from start to finish and thoroughly understands the filling of prescriptions just as the doctor orders them. The City Drug Store is situated next door to the Euclid hotel which is the leading hotel of the city, and by reason of this location a fine trade in the cigar line from the hotel patrons. Mr. Emery, the pharmacist has full control of the business, as both of the owners are engaged in other business, and although he has been in the city but a short time he has already built around himself a regiment of friends that will add much to the success of the business.
J. S. JOHNSON, COUNTY TREASURER
J. S. Johnson, the present county treasurer of the (Desha) county, was born in Concordia Parish, La. He moved to Arkansas in 1878, and has been living here ever since. He married the only daughter of John M. Clayton, a captain in the Confederate army. Mr. Johnson will have served the county as treasurer when his present term expires twelve years at different times. He served as deputy sheriff under John G. Warfield, H. L. Henry and was W. D. Preston's office deputy for three years. He has served as a member of the board of directors of the special school district for twenty years. He is a leading member of the Methodist church, and has been superintendent of that Sunday school for fifteen years. Mr. Johnson is one man out of but a very few who has been successful in politics, and yet is a man of high moral character, and while campaigning he carries on a campaign without the usual "wet goods." He is strongly opposed to the excessive use of intoxicants, and is one man in a thousand who has succeeded in his campaigns without bringing it into use. Mr. Johnson is a comparatively young man as yet, and has a large following all over the county. He is a man who is known for his sterling worth, and if he should make up his mind could get almost anything he asked at the hands of the people. Mr. Johnson has prospered since he came to Arkansas City, and owns considerable rental property here. Besides being county treasurer, he engages in planting and each year has large areas of cotton and other farm products. He also engages in the timber business at times and has his teams employed in the transferring of logs from the timber to the mills here. The Johnson family is a large one and all of the members are among the leading ones in the higher circles of society.
LAMBE & DEMARKE
The firm of Lambe & Demarke, wholesale and retail liquor dealers, is one of the oldest in the city, the business having been started twenty-four years ago. Mr. Joe Demarke, Mr. Jean Demarke and Mrs. Lena Lambe constitute the members of the firm. Mr. Joe Demarke is the older member, and is the manager of the business. He is one of the most prominent and influential of our leading businessmen, and is always in the front of everything pertaining to the betterment of the city. He is president of the Desha levee board, and also a member of the board of directors of the special school district. He is a man who is willing to give of his time and means in any cause that he thinks is for the upbuilding of the town and county, and is not one of the kind that only wants to hold places of public trust and responsibility for the fees that can be collected from the office. The firm has been prosperous since coming to this city, and has large amounts of city property that is constantly rented. Mr. Demarke and also Mrs. Lambe each have magnificent dwellings sitting side by side and built of concrete with the walks, fence and outbuildings of the same material. The above is a picture of the Lambe dwelling, but does not do the building justice as the cut is too small.
As retailers of liquors, the Lambe & Demarke firm is an exception. One rarely sees a man intoxicated in their place, and no disorderly conduct of boisterous noisy crowds are ever tolerated. They believe in the legitimate sale of liquors, and although this is a river town, they come near conducting this class of place. No one is sold liquor in this saloon when he is intoxicated, and the managers use every effort to keep the public from over-indulgence. It is probably due to the high moral character of this firm that they have been so prosperous, as no firm in this line of business has existed as long in this city, and none have ever been so successful, nor have any liquor dealers either here or in any other city a higher place in the very best society of the town, and are known for their strict business integrity, and for conducting their business on so high a moral plane.
Mr. Joe Demarke is also president of the Demarke Co., a mercantile business which is a large hardware and grocery establishment, mention of which is made in another column. Arkansas City is justly proud of this firm, and feels that they have deserved all the success they have attained.
GEO. E. JAMES
Geo. E. James, "The Ice Man," the subject of this sketch was born in Wilkinson County, Mississippi in the year 1867. When yet a young boy he came to Arkansas City in the winter of 1886 and has since been identified with every progressive movement for the uplift of our town and county. He first worked at the carpenter trade with success and then for several years tried his hand as a planter. He has ever had an inclination for politics. For eight years he served to the satisfaction of his fellow citizens as deputy sheriff and collector. In 1903 he was elected to the office of County Treasurer and has just finished his second term in that office. In addition to his political career and other undertakings, Mr. James now has a thriving wholesale and retail business situated just below the depot. He keeps large quantities of Mississippi river fish, which he sends out to all of the inland towns. He keeps two wagons running to supply the local town trade with ice, coal, fish and wood. Customers all receive prompt and courteous treatment from Mr. James and the growth of his business is evidence of his push and integrity.
JAMES W. FUQUAY
Jas. W. Fuquay came to Arkansas City from Tennessee twenty-seven years ago and engaged in the timber and land business. He was manager for a number of years for the St. Louis & Arkansas Lumber Manufacturing Co. and later was manager for the Standard Tie Co., both of which firms owned thousands of acres of timber lands in this county. He now has charge of the lumber department of the Desha Lumber Company, and has all of the lumber handled that this immense mill cuts. This year he built a magnificent home which we have pictured above. He has in the family besides his wife, one son, Jas. Jr., 16 years old and one daughter, Ida Mae, 14 years of age.
Mr. Fuquay, besides having charge of the output of the above mill, buys and sells fancy lumber, such as fancy white oak, white ash, persimmon, etc., and is perhaps the only dealer in this part of the country that can supply these fancy timbers. He invites correspondence from buyers for fancy timber.
ATTORNEY E. E. HOPSON
E. E. Hopson, one of the leading attorneys of our city, is an Arkansas product, having been reared in Mountain Home, Baxter County, this state. He attended the high school at his native place, and finished this school when he took a literacy course in the State University, and later finished from the law department of the same college. He came to Arkansas City in 1908, and began the practice of law. He at once became one of the leaders in his set in society and popular with the better class of people. He has an office in the Desha Bank and Trust Co. building, and now has the practice of some of our very best businessmen. He was married a few months ago to Miss Anna Mae Reitzammer, one of our leading young society girls. He is a young man of clean habits, sober and industrious, and commands the respect of all of our businessmen, and his future success is assured.
R. DEDMAN, DRUGGIST
Mr. R. Dedman, the popular druggist on Front street, is a native of Alabama, and came to Arkansas when but ten years of age, and has resided in Desha county since 1860. He was a salesman and bookkeeper for many years and has held the office of sheriff of the county, and also as county coroner, and was twice successively elected to the office of county treasurer. He has also been mayor of the city of Arkansas City, a member of the school board and city recorder. Mr. Dedman conducts an up-to-date drug store in his own new brick building on Front street. Mr. Dedman is one of the cornerstones of the city, having come here in an early day, and has seen the city in all of its stages of advancement. He is a man of broad and generous views, and is the kind of a man that makes cities, counties and commonwealths. While of a retiring nature, and a man who has little to say of his own good qualities, yet he is ever ready and willing to help where help is needed. He has prospered here and is well fixed in this world's goods. He is the father of a large family, most of whom live here or in the surrounding counties, and all of them are members of the highest class of society.
KIMBALL-LACY LUMBER CO.
This mill was first started in the fall of 1897 by A. Kimball, and the first lumber was sawed in the Spring of 1898. About the Spring of 1901 it was made into a Stock Company and became the Kimball-Lacy Lumber Company. The members of the firm are A. Kimball, C. A. Lacy and J. E. Lacy. The mill when it first started was a circle mill but was changed to a band mill in 1902. This mill cuts nothing but cottonwood and floats it down the Mississippi River for a hundred and fifty miles and about the same distance down the Arkansas River. They own their own tow boat, the Brockman, of which Mr. L. Kimball is Captain. This boat is constantly going up and down the river bringing down great tows of logs. Besides this, logs are being constantly brought in by rail. This Company, besides the big mill located on the bank of the Mississippi River, owns a smaller circular mill near the big mill that also saws large amounts of logs that are brought in by rail. They also have a stave and hoop mill that is also near the big mill. This firm is one of the largest concerns of the kind in Southeastern Arkansas and owns thousands of acres of timber lands along the banks of the two rivers. Previous to 1909, the Kimball-Lacy Lumber Company was the mainstay of the town and but for the weekly payroll of this Company, Arkansas City would have had little to keep the town up. The big mill owned by this Company runs practically all the time. Very few days during the year that the big whistle fails to blow. Mr. A. Kimball is one of the leading businessmen of the city and is always one of the first to help in any enterprise that has for its object the upbuilding of the town and county. He is a stockholder in the Lacy-Kimball Company, General Merchandise in Arkansas City, also a member of Lacy Brothers and Kimball, Cotton Factors and Commission Merchants in Memphis, Tenn., and in addition he owns and operated the ferry transfer and mail service between Arkansas City and Lamont, Miss.
Copyright 2000 by Louis Reitzammer