Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Francis M. Mahan
F. M. Mahan, of Hot Springs Township, Garland County, is one of the leading farmers of this locality. He was born in Kentucky, in 1826. His father, of Virginia origin and of Scottish and Irish descent, became prominently identified with the farming and stock raising interests of Kentucky, giving his attention to this calling for fifty years in Bourbon County. He was in the War of 1812. About 1793 he was married, in that county, to Miss Mary M. Ward, the daughter of James Ward, of Virginia. They were the parents of nine children, seven boys and two girls: James W., John A., Allen A., Russell, Mosbey, Edwin L., Francis M. (the subject of this article), Argatha and Jenetta. Mr. Mahan, Sr., was a member of the Masonic order, and an active member of the Kentucky Agricultural Society all his life. He died in 1858, his wife following the next year. They were members of the Presbyterian Church. At the age of nineteen F. M. Mahan went to Illinois, where he formed a partnership with his father, in farming and feeding stock, remaining there some nine years. His education had previously been received in the Shelbyville College, in Kentucky. In 1869 he was married to Lydia Ward, of Oxford, Scott County, Ky., daughter of C. A. Ward. Mr. and Mrs. Mahan have a family of seven children, all girls: Alice G. (the wife of Charles Hazleman, of New York), Emma P. (wife of H. H. Heppron, of Chicago), Mary E. (wife of Gen. Schoonmaker, of New York), Eva (now deceased), Blanche B. (now Mrs. Westerfield, of Wilmette, Ill.), Inez (wife of Harry Westerfield, of Evanston, Ill.) and Fannie. Mrs. Mahan died in 1870. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Mahan was married again in 1876, to Miss Margaret Wettengel, of Monroe, Green County, Wis. By this marriage he had two children: Percival G. and Francis M. From Illinois Mr. Mahan moved to Kentucky, in 1860. He served in the Mexican War when only sixteen years of age, and was present when the "white flag" was hoisted from the capitol dome at Mexico. In 1861 he enlisted in the Civil War, in Capt. Dick Ganoe's company at cavalry, and served until the surrender at Shreveport, Miss., being in the battles of Chickamauga, Richmond, Cynthiana, Ky., and a number of others. His present possessions include a quarter section of land, with over seventy-five acres under cultivation. A prominent Democrat, he takes great interest in all public enterprises, and is deservedly popular as a citizen and neighbor. He has some fine blooded stock, thoroughbred Short-horn, Jersey and Holstein cattle, and Poland-China and Berkshire hogs. The grandparents of Mr. Mahan, on his father's side, were captured and taken prisoners by the Indians, while in the field near the block house in Kentucky, and were held by them for five years. When captured the mother had an infant in her arms which was seized by the savages, who knocked its brains out against a tree. After having been held captive for five years, they were exchanged for Indian prisoners held by the whites. They then returned to their home in Kentucky, where they lived until death came to them.
Dr. Philip D. McCullough, Hot Springs, Ark. This enterprising and successful physician and surgeon was originally from Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tenn., where his birth occurred on January 18, 1825. His parents, Ben and Sallie (Lytle) McCullough, died in 1847 and 1862, at the ages of sixty-seven and seventy-six years, respectively. The father was a planter by occupation, and a prominent and much-esteemed citizen. P. D. McCullough was reared to the arduous duties of the farm, and in 1840 entered the University of Nashville, from which institution he graduated two years later. He then read medicine under Drs. Watson and Wendel, graduating from the University of Louisville, March 15, 1846, after which he commenced practicing medicine at Murfreesboro, Tenn. He moved to Trenton, Tenn., in 1853, and practiced there until his removal to Hot Springs in 1876. He was appointed by Gov. Harris, as superintendent of the Camp of Instruction, in 1861, for the organization of the State troops of Tennessee. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, has been Deputy Grand Master of the State of Tennessee, and Grand Commander of the Knights Templar of the State of Arkansas, for the years 1887 and 1888. At present he is Past Grand Commander of the State.
Andrew J. McDanial, one of the enterprising farmers and saw-mill men of Antioch Township, was born in Arkansas, in 1844. His father, Peter McDanial, was born in camp, while his parents were emigrating from Illinois to this State. He was reared a farmer and hunter, and in early days followed bear-hunting for a livelihood, often killing two or three bear and three or four deer a day. He was married in 1835, to Betsey Bartlett, of Hot Spring County, whose marriage resulted in the birth of eight children: Diana, Jessie, Martha, Andrew, William, Asa and Sarah. Mr. and Mrs. McDanial were members of the Baptist Church. The former died in 1879, and his wife in 1860. Andrew J. McDanial, after growing to manhood, married Miss Mary E. Spencer, daughter of Levi Spencer of Garland County, in 1865. They are the parents of nine children, eight of whom are living: Sophronia (widow of John Sprorlen), Mary S. (now Mrs. Hill), Andrew J., Alison, Dora, Jessie, William D. and Elizabeth. Mr. McDanial owns 200 acres of land, with seventy-five acres under cultivation, and has a large orchard containing seven acres of land, with seventy-five acres under cultivation, and has a large orchard containing seven acres of land; this includes apples, peaches, pears, plums, etc. In 1885 he built a fine house and also has a large barn and good buildings. The farm is well stocked, and he owns about thirty head of a superior grade of Berkshire hogs. Mrs. McDanial is a native of Arkansas, and was born in 1842. Her parents were natives of Tennessee, her father taking for his wife Miss Eliza A. Monroe. She bore a family of ten children, five of whom are living: Perry L., Mary E., Lottie L., John T. and Rufus M. Emigrating from Tennessee to Arkansas at an early day, Mr. Spencer settled in Montgomery County, where he died in 1875, and his wife in 1862. Both were members of the Baptist Church. Mr. McDanial is a man who freely gives his influence and financial aid to all public enterprises. His education was somewhat limited, but he is giving his children the benefit of good schooling, and training them to become useful members of society. He is a hard-working man, having made all that he now possesses by the sweat of his brow, but is none the less respected on that account. He is a prominent Republican, and with his wife belongs to the church.
Dr. R. H. Moore, of Hot Springs, Ark., and a physician of more than ordinary ability, was born in Hardeman County, Tenn., near Bolivar, on January 3, 1842. His parents, Thomas and Lucy (McNeil) Moore, were natives of North Carolina and Edinburgh, Scotland, respectively, and the father followed the occupation of a farmer. He was an early settler of Hardeman County, Tenn., and there he and his wife passed their last days. The paternal grandfather came originally from Ireland, and died in North Carolina. The maternal grandfather, Alexander McNeil, was a United States senator, and died in Washington, D. C., where his body reposes. He was quite a politician, and held a number of offices. Dr. R. H. Moore is the only one of six children born to his parents now living. He attained his growth and secured his education in Hardeman County, where he remained until seventeen years of age, and when nineteen years of age he began the study of medicine, graduating in the spring of 1860, at the old medical school at New Orleans. He was assistant surgeon all through the war, and was stationed at Louisiana hospital, at Richmond, Va., for three years. After cessation of hostilities he remained in Virginia until 1871, when he went to Greenfield, Dade County, Mo., and there remained until 1877, when he came to Hot Springs, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He is a first-class physician and surgeon, and as such is known all over the county. He was elected coroner in September, 1888. He has a fine farm of 160 acres, which is nicely adapted to the raising of corn and cotton, but he resides in Hot Springs, where he has a nice home. He selected Miss Annie W. Martin, a native of Virginia, for his wife, and was married to her in March, 1865. They have six children living: Lulu, Milton, Maude, Madge, Mack and Linn. Two are deceased: Charles (died in Greenfield, Mo., in 1872, aged two years) and Charlie Meggs (who died in Hot Springs, Ark., in 1889, aged fifteen). In religious views the Doctor and wife are Methodists, and he is a Democrat in his political preferences.
W. H. Moyston, circuit and county clerk at Hot Springs, Ark., is one of the most efficient officers Garland County has ever had, and is eminently qualified in every way for the position he has occupied since 1886. His birth occurred in Wheeling, Ohio County, W. Va., on April 2, 1840, and he is the son of William A. and Anna (Caldwell) Moyston, the father a native of Schenectady, N. Y., and the mother of Wheeling, W. Va. William A. Moyston was educated for a physician, but never practiced. He engaged in merchandising in Virginia, and after the war went to Memphis, Tenn., where he died in 1867. The mother died in Wheeling in 1865. The maternal grandfather was an early settler of Virginia, and with the Zanes family founded nearly all Wheeling. William A. and Anna (Caldwell) Moyston were the parents of eleven children, only four of whom are now living. W. H. Moyston was married and received his education in Wheeling, completing his studies in the high school, and at the breaking out of the late war was engaged in the mercantile business. Previous to this he had studied dentistry. In 1861 he enlisted in Shriver Grey's Company G, Twenty-seventh Virginia Regiment, Confederate States Army, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Winchester, put in a Wheeling prison and indicted for treason. He was released on bonds after attending three terms of the United States Court, the case being nolle prossed. In 1863 he went to Memphis, and began the practice of dentistry, and remained thus engaged until 1877, going through the yellow fever scourge in 1873. In 1877 he came to Hot Springs, where, for some time, he was engaged in merchandising. In 1886 he was elected to his present office, and so great was his popularity and so well did he fill the position, that he was re-elected without opposition in 1888. He was married in 1865 to Miss Lizzie McLean, a native of Wheeling, W. Va., who bore him four children: Lizzie, Eddie, Maude and Willie. The wife died July 23, 1889, and is buried at Wheeling, W. Va. Mr. Moyston is an Odd Fellow, Past Chief Patriarch and first Past Grand Chancellor of Tennessee K. of P. He is a Democrat in his political views, although named after William Henry Harrison.
R. [Robert] Murray, transfer and coal dealer, also manager and owner of the street-sprinkler system, Hot Springs, Ark. The parents of Mr. Murray, John and Christina (McCloud) Murray, were natives of Southerlandshire, Scotland, and came to Canada at an early day. They settled in County Oxford, and there the mother still resides, but the father died about 1875. He was a prominent agriculturist. The subject of this sketch was born in County Oxford, Canada, January 12, 1854, being one of eight children, four sons and four daughters: Alexander (in Michigan), Robert, James (in Michigan), Daniel (in Canada), Margaret (in Michigan), Jannette (in Michigan), Catherine and Christian (at home). Young Murray attained is growth and received his education in his native county, where he remained until 1879, when he came to the United States, subsequently working at different places (Detroit, Memphis and St. Louis). In 1883 he located at Hot Springs, Ark., and drove a wagon for some time, but in 1886 embarked in his present business, which he has carried on alone ever since. He runs eight transfer wagons and two street sprinklers, besides conducting a large coal-yard and does the most extensive business in coal traffic of any man at the Springs. He began on a very small capital, but being a thoroughgoing business man, and an excellent one at that, has placed himself in very comfortable circumstances. His marriage occurred in 1886 to Miss Mary Harrington, a native of Illinois, who bore him one child: Christina. Mr. Murray is a member of the K. of P. and a first-class citizen.