Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Joseph B. Payne, M. D., was born in Wilkinson County, Ga., December 22, 1833. His father, Phillip Payne, was born in June, 1812. His mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Thomas, was born in 1815 and died in 1851. His grandfather, Joseph Payne, was born in Kershaw District, South Carolina, and emigrated to the State of Georgia shortly after his marriage to Mary Brassfield in 1794. His great-grandfather, Phillip Payne, was a native of Virginia, and his wife, Mary Flannegan, was an Irish lady from the North of Ireland. The subject of this sketch was educated at the Harrison Academy, in his native State, but grew up to manhood in Louisiana, to which State his father emigrated in 1849. Here he assisted on the farm until he entered the office of Dr. John R. Wilder as a student of medicine in November, 1851, with whom he remained four years, attending his first course of lectures in the Medical Department of the University of Louisiana at the session of 1853-54. In November, 1854, he entered the Memphis Medical College, and was graduated there from in March, 1855. Returning home at the close of the session, he was offered a partnership with his preceptor, with whom he remained one year. The following year he removed to Arkansas, located at Magnolia, the county seat of Columbia County. Here, on December 4, 1856, he was united in marriage to Miss Martha A. E. Harper, the daughter of the Rev. R. G. Harper, then clerk of the district court. In the fall of 1858 he returned to New Orleans and matriculated in the New Orleans School of Medicine, graduating there from at the close of the session of 1858-59. In March, 1862, he enlisted as a private soldier in the Confederate States army, and on April 13, following, at Fort Pillow, was appointed by Col. H. P. Smead surgeon of the Nineteenth Arkansas Infantry, having served for a short time previously as sergeant-major of the regiment. At the close of the war he went to Mexico. Returning from there in the summer of 1866, he located in Texas, where he remained until the fall of 1879, when he returned to Arkansas, locating at Hot Springs, where he now resides. In the fall of 1872 he went to New Orleans and again entered the Medical Department of the University of Louisiana for the session of 1872-73. In 1878 he attended the spring course of lectures in the Missouri Medical College, and again, in 1884, attended two courses of instruction in the St. Louis College for Medical Practitioners, at the close of which he was made an associate member of the college. Again, in the fall of 1887, he returned to St. Louis and took a full course of instruction in the Post Graduate Medical College. Dr. Payne has been constantly engaged in the practice of medicine for nearly thirty-five years. He is now a member of the board of school directors for Hot Springs District, and served for a short time as city physician (in 1884), the office being discontinued shortly after his appointment. He is a Chapter Mason and a member of the Knights of Honor; also a member of the Hot Springs Medical Society and a fellow of the American Rhinological Association. Mrs. Payne is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They have six children living.
Judge James E. Prichard, one of the old pioneers and prominent citizens of Mill Township, Garland County, was born in Indiana in 1825. His father, Harman Prichard, was a native of Kentucky, a farmer by occupation, and served in the War of 1812. He was married in 1815, to Miss Nancy Purcell, of Kentucky, a daughter of a soldier in the Revolutionary War. She died in 1867 leaving eight children, six of whom are now living: Hannah, Margaret, Sarah, Charles, James, Montgomery, Ephraim and George. Mr. Prichard emigrated from Kentucky to Indiana in 1818 and took up land there, where he died in 1828. James E. Prichard, upon reaching manhood, was married to Martha Downing in 1847, who died in 1853, leaving three children: George, Job and Nancy. Two years after Mr. Prichard married a second time, Sarah Preaitt, of Indiana, becoming his wife, but she died in 1870. His third and present wife was Mrs. Samantha Thompson, the widow of William Thompson, to whom he was married in 1872. They are the parents of six children: James Charles, Montgomery, Edgar H., Thomas J., Pauline and John. In 1856 Mr. Prichard, moving from Indiana, settled in Pike County, Ark., where he remained until 1860, then coming to Garland County. He there purchased eighty acres of land, and entered a quarter section under the homestead act. In 1863 he enlisted in the Federal army, in the Third Missouri Cavalry, under Capt. George S. Avery, in which regiment he served until the close of the war, being in the battle of Jenkins' Ferry and several skirmishes. Mr. Prichard is a prominent Republican of his county, and in 1868 was elected county judge, which office he held for five years and a half. He was also justice of the peace for three years. Mrs. Prichard is a native of Alabama, as was also her parents, who had a family of seven children: Margaret A., Elizabeth J., Martha T., Mary S., Enoch H., Wallace N., and Lewis M. Her father died in 1860, and her mother in 1875. Both were members of the Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Prichard belong to the Church of Christ. Mr. Prichard is also a member of the Order of Red Men, G. A. R. and the Farmers' Alliance. He owns eighty acres of land, with fifty acres under cultivation, on which he raises principally corn and cotton. He has seen the complete development of his township, and has borne an important share in its improvement. In 1866 there were but eighteen votes cast at the polls of Antioch and Mills Township taken together. Today Antioch will poll about eighty votes, and Mills 120.
Job E. Prichard, whose enterprise in the agricultural affairs of Mills Township has contributed largely to the respect and esteem accorded him, was born in Indiana in 1850. [See sketch of father, James E. Prichard, immediately preceding.] His youth was passed much the same as that of other farmers' sons, and in 1875 he was married to Miss Sarah E. Carpenter, the daughter of Green Carpenter. Mrs. Prichard was born in Mississippi in 1840, her parents also being natives of that State, though they now live in Garland County, Ark. Mr. and Mrs. Prichard have a happy family of six children, five boys and one girl: William H., George W., Gracie E., Daniel B., Job and James H. Mr. Prichard owns a quarter section of good land, 115 acres of which are under cultivation. He was educated in the common schools of Arkansas, supplementing the education there obtained by self application in later years, and he served for a number of years as deputy sheriff, besides filling the office of justice of the peace for the last six years in an acceptable manner. He is a strong Republican, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias, warmly advocating all public improvements and enterprises, to which he is a liberal donator. Mr. Prichard was a delegate to the last State Convention at Little Rock for the choosing of delegates to nominate Harrison. He has also represented the farmers of this county in the State Wheel two terms.
Dr. J. H. Putnam, ear and eye surgeon, Hot Springs, Ark. Among the various important professions none requires more sagacity and skill than that of the specialist. Dr. Putnam, a native of Montpelier, Vt., was born September 13, 1838, being a son of John G. and Thankful B. Putnam, who were also natives of the Green Mountain State, but were of English descent and early settlers of Massachusetts. John G. Putnam followed the occupation of a farmer during his life, and died in his native State at the age of seventy-eight years. The mother died in Iowa at the age of seventy-five years. Their family consisted of five children. Two died in infancy; one was killed in the battle of the Wilderness, one is a farmer in Southern Iowa, and the youngest now living is Dr. J. H. Putnam. He passed his boyhood days on his father's farm and received his education in Morrisville Academy at Morrisville, Vt. When twenty years of age he began the study of medicine, and took his first course of lectures at Castleton, Vt. In 1860 he went to New York, attended the Twenty-third Street College, and in November of the same year entered the United States army for five years. In January, 1861, he was on the vessel Star of the West when she was fired upon from Morris Island. About 200 passengers were on board, and the Doctor has never met one of her passengers from that day to this. In April, 1861, he went to Fort Pickins, being transferred to the United States Engineer Corps, and served until 1865, when he entered Bellevue College. From there he went to Long Island College, where he graduated in June, 1867, and afterward began practicing at Ludlow, Vt., remaining there until 1877. He then moved to Rutland, of the same State, remained there until 1885, when he came to Hot Springs where he has since been actively engaged in his profession, making a specialty of eye and ear diseases. He is a member of the Connecticut River Valley Medical Association, Rutland County Medical Society, Rutland Local Society, and he is now with Dr. Leroy Dibble erecting an eye and ear infirmary at an estimated cost of about $20,000, located on Cottage Street, east of Park. This will be able to accommodate about fifty people. The Doctor was married, in March, 1866, to Miss Lettice A. Spear, a native of Vermont, and one child, John W., is the result of this union. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, K. T. and the K. of P. His paternal grandfather, John Putnam, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and a direct descendant of old Israel Putnam of Revolutionary fame.