Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Dr. Charles S. Reid
Dr. Charles S. Reid, of Hot Springs, was born at Newberry, S. C., on October 19, 1831, and his early life was divided between assisting on the farm and attending the common schools, where he received a fair education. His parents, David and Jane Reid, died in 1849 and 1846, respectively. The father was a farmer and mechanic and was thus engaged during is entire life. Dr. Charles S. Reid attended school until 1850, and then engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1858, when he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. D. W. Reid, at Attapulgus, Ga. He remained with him until 1861, and then entered the Eclectic Medical College of Macon, Ga., in 1859, where after passing a very rigid examination, he graduated in 1861. He then began practicing his profession in Southern Georgia, until 1862, when he entered the Confederate army, Company B, Eighth Florida Regiment, and served all through the war. At its close he returned to Southern Georgia, practicing his profession successfully until 1869, when he came to New Edenburg and there remained until 1872. Moving thence to Princeton, Dallas County Ark., he continued there until 1876, when he came to Hot Springs. The Doctor is a genial and generous gentleman, liberal in his ideas, a protector of the rights of humanity, and a strong promoter of its welfare as well as being in deep sympathy with it. He was married on February 6, 1868, to Miss Sarah E. Mizell, and the results of this union are three children: Charles G. (age fifteen years), Etta B. (age twelve years) and Willie M. (age nine years). The Doctor and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church of which he has been an elder for the last three years.
Mrs. Elizabeth Rowe, the widow of Stephen Rowe, was born in Georgia, in 1827. Her father, Gilford Joiner, a native of Georgia, was a farmer by occupation, and was married in 1825 to Lelitia Riggins, of the same State as himself. They were the parents of five children: Elizabeth, Simeon, Mary A., Lelitia D. and Winfred M. Gilford Joiner served in the War of Georgia, and died in 1838. The grandfather of Mrs. Rowe, Thomas Riggins, first saw the light of day in South Carolina, in 1786. He was a farmer, and died in 1857; his wife, whose birth occurred in 1791, surviving until 1852. Mrs. Rowe was married to Stephen Rowe in 1862, and they became the parents of three children, two boys and one girl: Jessie D., George F. and Ella E., now deceased. Moving from Georgia to Florida, in 1862, Stephen Rowe engaged in farming, and also in school-teaching, for seven years, in 1870 emigrating to Arkansas, where he entered eighty acres of land, and on which he lived until his death in 1881. He was a member of the Masonic order, and a minister of the Baptist Church for some forty years, his own life clearly demonstrating the truths which he so vividly preached. Mrs. Rowe now owns eighty acres of land, with about twenty-five acres under cultivation, and on which she raises fruit of all kinds. George Rowe, in 1887, began studying for the ministry, that noblest of all callings. He is an exemplary and promising young man, and bids fair to attain to prominence as one of the most useful ministers of the Gospel in this section of the country.