Search billions of records on

Garland County, Arkansas, Goodspeed Biographies
Page 2

John H. Crawford

John H. Crawford, a prominent merchant of Johnstown, Garland County, was born in Georgia in 1842.  John A. Crawford, Sr., his father, first saw the light of day in South Carolina, about 1812, and while growing up, received but a limited education, though familiarizing himself with the mercantile business.  He moved to Georgia when a small boy, and in 1838 was married to Emily Hill, a native of that State.  They were the parents of eight children:  James M. (deceased), John H., Susan A. (the wife of Thomas H. White), David (deceased), William H., Charles, Walter and Leandrew (deceased).  Mr. Crawford left Georgia for Arkansas in 1859, and though having been very successful in the mercantile business, he located on a farm in Drew County.  In 1863 he moved to Texas, where he bought land, on which he lived until his death, in 1867.  He belonged to the Masonic order, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  Mrs. Crawford's father was a native of Georgia, and a farmer by occupation.  John H. Crawford started out in life in the mercantile business, in 1867.  He was educated in the private schools of Georgia, and in 1861 enlisted in the First Arkansas Infantry, under Capt. James A. Jackson, participating in all of the principal battles.  He was taken prisoner at Nashville, Tenn., and held about three months.  He was on his way home while on a furlough at the time of the surrender.  Mr. Crawford married Caroline Tool, a daughter of George Tool, of Mississippi, and to them seven children were born:  Emily J. (now Mrs. Berry), Susan L., Charles D., William H., George and Carrie.  Mrs. Crawford died in 1883.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  Mr. Crawford took for his second wife Miss Fannie Cason, daughter of A. B. Cason, of Jefferson County, Ark., in 1884.  They were the parents of one child, named Walter, who is now deceased.  Mr. Crawford's business career in Johnstown, adjoining Hot Springs, dates from 1888, when he formed a partnership with J. L. Lloyd.  They are now enjoying an encouraging patronage.  Mr. and Mrs. Crawford are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Back to Garland County, Arkansas, Biographies