Religion and Early Churches
If you have historic information on Calhoun County Churches, membership rolls, or history of any present day churches, please contact Carol Smith.
Antioch Baptist Church
Bluff Hill Church
Campground Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Chambersville Church organized August 10, 1847. Founding members: Tillman Brawner, Harriet Council, Green B. Talbot, Mary Talbot, Charles McClung, Sarah Youngblood, Jacob Youngblood, Mary Gardner, John Gardner, Martha McCollock, John V. McCollock, Elizabeth McClung, Luanna Hearnsberger, Beauly Grant, Sarah Brawner Jr., Jane Brawner, Sarah Brawner Sr. [Founding membership information provided by Farris W. Womack]
China Grove Church
Church Number 10
Dickinson Baptist Church, Harrell
Faustina Methodist Episcopal Church is located seven miles west of Hampton in Champagnolle Township. Organized in 1883 the first members were G. A. Primm and family, W. E. Silliman and family, J. M. Dunn and family, Mrs. Allen Dunn, Mrs. Z. T. Silliman and Mrs. D. K. Silliman. The original building was 25 x 35 feet. The early pastors were J. M. D. Sturgis, J. Armstrong, R. J. Raiford, J. B. Thomas, R. T. Riley, C. L. Adams and J. M. G. Douglas.
First Baptist Church, Hampton
Grace Baptist Church, Hampton
Hampton Chapel AME Church
Hampton Methodist Episcopal Church dates back to 1850 when the first church building was erected on land donated by Nathaniel Hunt.
Happy Home Assembly of God Church
Harrell First United Methodist Church
Locust Bayou Church of God in Christ
Moore's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church located on Little Bay and Hampton Road in Champagnolle Township was organized in 1857. It's early members include Mrs. Harriet Dunn, Mrs. M. E. Dunn, Mrs. Charlotte McDonald and Mrs. N. C. Nettles. Early pastors included the Rev. L. C. Adams.
Mount Carmel Baptist Church, Hampton
Mount Olive Church
Mount Pleasant Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1854. Some of its original members were J. Hollis family, J. H. Means family, James Riggs family, Mrs. Ira Oliver and Mrs. Newton. This church is in the northern part of Franklin Township, two miles from Hampton. The first church building was erected in 1871.
Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church is located in Dallas Township and was organized in 1853 with the first services held in the home of E. Stover. Some of the earliest members include Jesse Newton, Jeptha Turner, Wiley Brown and Jesse Edwards.
New Hope Baptist Church, located near the center of Polk Township was organized in 1866 by Rev. Pink Calloway. The first members were the Saunders family, George Riggs family and Thomas Mauldin.
Pilgrim Rest Church
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, Harrell
Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church is located in Polk Township, about four miles west of Hampton and was first organized about 1860. Its early membership rolls include the David Douherty family, John Hall family, Wiley Brown family and Eliza Morrison.
Ponder Chapel was located in River Township and was organized in 1889 with Richard Crawford, pastor. Early membership rolls included J. E. Furr, John Norris, John Midley, William Hollis, George Furr, John Pyle, James McKay, and Kate Hollis.
Saint Paul Baptist Church, Hampton
Sulphur Springs Church
Tinsman First Baptist Church
Union Grove Church, Harrell
Victory Baptist Church, Harrell