James Cobb, who through industry and energy has risen to a position as a leading farmer of Perry County, is a native of North Carolina, having been born in Northhampton County, on April 26, 1834. His parents were Littleberry Cobb and Mary Masingill, natives also of North Carolina. James' mother died in North Carolina when he was but a child, and his father, who was an overseer of slaves, subsequently married again, Harriett Davis becoming his wife. In 1845 he moved to Madison County Tenn, dying in 1854 while in the employ of Dr. John Ingram. James was then twenty years of age. The subject of this sketch was the fifth in the family of six children; he grew up in North Carolina till eleven years of age when, as stated, the family moved to Tennessee, he receiving his schooling in both States. On the death of his father, who left a widow and three children, he supported the family till his step-mother's second marriage, after three years, when he came to Arkansas, settling in Perry County in 1858. After one year he purchased the place on which he now resides, it then containing 80 acres. In 1862 Mr. Cobb enlisted in the Confederate Army, Company F, Twentieth Arkansas Infantry, serving through the war, and acting as sergeant. He was in the battles of Vicksburg, Champion's Hill and Farmington. At the close of the war he returned to his farm, there being then only nine acres cleared; but he worked hard and at present has 540 acres of land, 225 under cultivation, the greater part of which he rents. He is a Republican, has been constable of his township several years and is a worthy and widely esteemed citizen. December 27, 1859 he married Miss Rebecca A. Holmes, who was born in Tennessee, in 1842; she died January 2, 1874 leaving six children, three living: John L., Fannie L. (wife of E. Jackson), and Anna. Mr Cobb, in July 1876, married Sarah J. McCown, of Union County, S.C., born in 1844, and the daughter of John and Elizabeth McCown; they have three children: Charley Graham, Wesley and James Grover. Mrs Cobb is a member of the Baptist Church.