Philip W. Mosby
Philip W. Mosby, of the substantial firm of Mosby & Smyers, general merchants at Aplin, is a native of DeSoto County, Miss., having been born September 17, 1855, as the youngest son of Benjamin Mosby and Sarah Woodson. The former, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born near Richmond Virginia about 1820, moved to Tennessee in 1840, and in 1855 to Mississippi. He was a farmer and is now living with Phillip. His wife was of French descent, her birth occurring in Richmond Virginia in 1818, and she died in DeSoto County, Mississippi in 1869. She was the mother of twelve children, of whom Robert O., Mat W., Dora E. and Phillip W. are living. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in Mississippi and was educated in Hernanda at the age of fifteen entering upon his career as clerk in the general store of Caffrey & Robertson, of Hernanda, where he remained five years. Going thence to Love Station, he was similarly engaged for Banks, Love & Co., remaining three years. During his clerkship he attended school for a short time and also farmed one year. In 1881 Mr Mosby came to Perry County Ark. and located at Aplin, forming his present partnership in October of that year. A good stock, valued at about $3000 is carried, just such as meets the demands of the surrounding territory, and an extended patronage is accorded them. In 1881 Mr Mosby was appointed postmaster, which position he still holds. In February 1883 he married Miss Anna S. Solomon, a native of DeSoto County Miss., born in 1860 and the daughter of Joseph H. Solomon and Emma E. Jayner. They have had two children: Emma W. and Minnie A. (deceased). Mr Mosby has been since 1887 a member of Aplin Lodge No. 444, A.F. & A.M., and is now its Master. He is also a member of the K. of H. joining in 1888. In politics he is a Democrat, having cast his first presidential vote for Tilden and Hendricks. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist Church. He is a good businessman and well-to-do.