A View from the
In 1928 the building was built to replace its forerunner, the Stone
County Academy that stood near the site. It was deemed the Special
School District #30 because it combined some local districts including
Mountain View, Oyler’s Chapel, Richwoods, and Levisy Flat. For
ten years, it was the sole facility for the entire school grades one
In 1938, the gym was built and the high
school moved to that location. About 1943, the elementary school
moved into new facilities located across the campus near the future
football field. This left the original building to house the primary
grades one through three for around thirty years.
The building remained mostly unchanged
inside and out after that time until 1974. At that time a new
elementary school was built at a new location leaving the building
abandoned for the first time. Unfortunately, a use for the building
was planned as a kindergarten and band hall which required many
changes including the removal of the original windows and doors.
The building was used until 1984 when
the high school moved to the current campus. At that time, the
building was bought by the Stone County Historical Society, the City
of Mountain View, and Stone County.
Currently, the building houses the Stone County Museum, the Loy and Freda Daum Massey
Research Room, and rents a room to the Mountain View Art Guild. In
December 2004, the building was placed on the Arkansas Register of
Historic Places. In the spring of 2006, the museum was expanded to
include a larger research room and more space for Stone County
artifacts donated or on loan to the museum.
The Stone County Historical Society
plans to restore the building's exterior to the original condition with
hopes of a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
This work will include replacing windows and doors with reproductions
of the originals.
Future interior renovations will include the restoration of the Edwin
Luther Auditorium to include a stage and seating. The room can be used for community activities including plays,
class reunions, meetings, etc.
In addition to family histories, books,
and artifacts, monetary donations are welcome. Currently the
Society is in grave need of a new roof for the building. The
cost of a new roof exceeds current available funds. Several
donations have been made for help with replacing the roof and toward
replacing windows and doors. The Stone County Historical Society
is a non-profit organization. All monetary donations are
therefore all tax deductible. If you have any donations to
make, please contact by e-mail at
Historical Society or P.O. Box 210, Mountain View, AR 72560.
Hours of Operation
The museum is open from mid April
through the end of October. Volunteers host the museum on
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 1-4 PM. Sometimes our
volunteers are unable to fulfill their commitment to work. If
you are coming for a visit from out of town and want to visit the
museum, please let us know. We will make sure a volunteer is
available to assist you.