JAMES M. HARRISON came from a Washington County, Arkansas, family living in the Cane Hill area. He enlisted early on with the 3rd Regiment, 1st Corps Army of Arkansas under the command of Colonel John R. Gratiot. His unit saw combat at Wilson's Creek in Missouri on 10 August 1861 and later this unit disbanded and became part of the regular Confederate Army and he served with Company H of the 15th Arkansas Infantry, (McRae's/Hobb's) with the eventual rank of 3rd Lt. He was at the Battle of Pea Ridge on 6th and 7th of March 1862. His unit then marched on to Des Arc in Prairie County where it boarded a steamboat, Sovereign, landing in Memphis on 11 April 1862. His unit saw the remainder of its service in Mississippi. Lt. Harrison was seriously wounded at the Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi on 1 May 1863. He was captured by the enemy after his regiment retreated. He never fully recovered from his wound and died after the surrender of Vicksburg on 4 July 1863. His body was then brought to Washington County, Arkansas. After the establishment of the Confederate Cemetery his remains were laid to rest there. More information about James Harrison can be found at the University of Arkansas Special Collections Library which documents his military service and letters.