United Daughters of the Confederacy ®
The Arkansas Division was formed with the call to convention at Hope, Arkansas in 1896, the location of our first Arkansas chapter. The Division has continued to grow and currently has over 600 members.
The National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, Tenn., on September 10, 1894, by founders Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia. At its second meeting in Atlanta, Ga., in 1895, the Organization changed its name to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The United Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on July 18, 1919.
The objectives of the organization are Historical, Educational, Benevolent, Memorial and Patriotic:
To collect and preserve the material necessary for a truthful history of the War Between the States and to protect, preserve, and mark the places made historic by Confederate valor.
To assist descendants of worthy Confederates in securing a proper education.
To fulfill the sacred duty of benevolence toward the survivor of the War and those dependent upon them.
To honor the memory of those who served and those who fell in the service of the Confederate States of America.
To record the part played during the War by Southern women, including their patient endurance of hardship, their patriotic devotion during the struggle, and their untiring efforts during the post-War reconstruction of the South.
To cherish the ties of friendship among the members of the Organization.