Established 1838. The historic buildings are gone, but the institution itself lives in what is now known as Twin Valley Psychiatric System. The Kirkbride building was razed in 1991, and only the laundry building remains (from 1907, now housing the maintenance department). Current uses of the land include the Department of Transportation and the Department of Public Service (along with Twin Valley).
The original hospital was built over 7 years, from 1870 to 1877.
(Thanks to Gary Carter of Columbus, Ohio for the updates on the current status of the institution and grounds).
The institution shown below was not part of Columbus State Hospital, and was located elsewhre in the city.