Established 1866, still in operation.
This facility was founded in 1868 as the Connecticut Asylum for the Insane. Through the years, the name has changed several times, as have treatment methods. In 1961, the hospital was renamed Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH). The patient population, which was over 3,000 in the 1950s, approached 180 during 1995. The structure of CVH now includes a general psychiatric division, a forensic division and a substance abuse division.