THE LUNATIC ASYLUM, EASTERN STATE HOSPITAL. The 2nd oldest mental hospital in the U.S. , founded privately as Fayette Hospital in 1816, taken over by the state in 1822 and opened on 17-acre tract in 1824. Present title used after 1913. Original building begun in 1817 was Federal style, had 3-story, 3-bay center pedimented pavilion with 2-bay extensions, to which were added 2-story, 6-bay wings to either side, and 3-story, 2-bay pedimented end pavilions during later 1820s, all in Flemish-bond brickwork and having 6/6-paned windows. Thomas Lewinski designed (presumably John McMurtry built) 2-story + basement common-bond brick rear ell on axis, completed in 1847. Huge building constructed to west in 1867 on line with and in style of original building, later connected. Present administration pavilion and outlying buildings after 1900. Tract now contains 300 acres. Original buildings and wings (end pavilions demolished) now form east part of Main Building, heightened, greatly altered, now with coupled windows; completely rebuilt inside.