Walter E. Fernald State School

now known as Fernald Center

Waverly / Waltham, Massachusetts

Founded in 1877 as "Massachusetts School for Idiotic Children". The name was changed to Fernald State School in 1925. Located extremely close to Metropolitan State Hospital (Waltham) and the McLean Hospital. The school complex includes 72 buildings total and is located located on 186 acres at 200 Trapelo Rd (Waltham). It is still in operation, but very few residents remain compared to the population in earlier years. Please see for more information.

Historic postcard images:


Visit RootsWeb