site selection for this institution started in 1877. The land (171 acres) was purchased in 1878, and the first patient was admitted in August of 1880. The hospital de-segregated in 1965 in compliance with the Civil Rights Act. The current name, Cherry Hospital, is in honor of Governor R. Gregg Cherry (1891 - 1957). As of 2005, it is a 403-bed institution that provides inpatient services to 33 counties in eastern North Carolina.