formerly known as the La Lomita Mission.
While this web site concentrates on historic asylums, related facilities such as this one are also included.
Established 1849 as a mission.
The original little adobe chapel was built by the Oblate Fathers in 1849. It is located south of the city of Mission, Texas, near the Rio Grande.
The little adobe chapel built by the Oblate Fathers in 1849 still stands next to the Rio Grande, south of the city of Mission that was named for it.
In 1899 the larger chapel building was erected; it now houses the Tropical Texas Center for Mental Health and Mental Retardation, which provides long-term residential and work facilities for developmentally disabled adults
In 1975 La Lomita was entered in the National Register of Historic Places due to the important role it played in the development of the lower Rio Grande valley The chapel is open daily dawn to dusk, on FM 1016 (Conway) three miles south of Mission. (580-8760).