Established, 1883, still in use. Architect: Samuel Sloan
On the National Register of Historic Places
Location:1000 South Sterling Street
Morganton, NC 28655
"Broughton Hospital was established by the Enabling Act passed in 1874. The first patient, a medical doctor, was admitted in 1883. In 1890, the name of the hospital was changed from Western Carolina Insane Asylum to State Hospital at Morganton and retained this name until 1959,when it was named Broughton Hospital after Governor J. Melville Broughton. The Hospital served 52 counties until 1965, when the State divided into 4 regions, each containing a mental hospital. Today it serves approximately 3,700 per year (average daily census for FY '92 of 623) from the 35 westernmost counties. The hospital is organized into seven treatment divisions: adult admissions,adolescent, geropsychiarty, rehabilitation, extendedcare, mental retardation, and medical-surgical. In addition to special diagnostic services, training and recreation facilities are also provided in preparation for the patients return to their home community."
- from the North Carolina Division of Mental Health
Other Postcard Views: