Found 1797, still in operation.
Spring Grove maintains a
Started as "Captain Yellott's Retreat" for ailing mariners in 1794, this institution was expanded into a state hospital by the Maryland legislature in 1797, at the time the first such hospital in Maryland.
The institution continued expanding during the 19th century (1800s). At mid-century, it moved from the now-crowded urban Baltimore environment to Catonsville, 5 miles southwest of the city. In 1852, construction was started on a now-demolished Kirkbride-plan building designed by J. Crawford Neilson. Construction continued for many years: delay reasons included the Civil War.
Still operated by the State of Maryland, the Center provides inpatient and residential psychiatric services to adult patients.