Established 1869, still in operation.
The original St. Louis State Hospital opened as the St. Louis County Insane Asylum in1869 with the admission of 150 patients. The Asylumcomplex also included two poor houses, a "Hospital for Social Evils", an orphanage,and the St. Louis Chronic Hospital. Later, an Isolation Hospital was built for people with contagious diseases. Today, there remain only two descendents of those facilities: St. Louis State Hospital, now called St. Louis Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center, and Truman Restorative Center, formerly a combination of Isolation and Chronic Hospitals.
Historic Postcard Images (Both below from the personal collection of Eric Erickson, Black River Falls, WI.)