Established 1866, still in use.
Now known as St. Peter Regional Treatment Center, the St. Peter State Hospital was originally established in downtown St. Peter in 1866. Now in the southern end of the city, it occupies 580 wooded acres. St. Peter is seventy miles south of the Twin Cities.
The "old Center" building houses a museum which is open to the public by appointment. It includes artifacts representing the State Hospital during the late 1800's. The museum features a variety of displays which use photos and settings of furniture depicting small vignettes of hospital life and routines at the turn of the century.