Topeka State Hospital was in operation from 1872 to 1997. It was established because Osawatomie State Hospital (est. 1866) had become too crowded.
The cemetary on the groundsis the final resting place for 1157 individuals. The main building was on Kansas' "1997 Preservation Watch List"
Photo to the right by D&VC, 12/98
Click here to find out about cemetary records [external site].
Below are some recent photos, courtesy of Wendy Huggins. Click on the thumbnail images to see nice large photos:
|"Altered State Hospital"
|Top of Pillar