Established 1906, as the first psychiatric teaching hospital.
According to Dr. Henry Hurd's 1916 Institutional Care in the United States and Canada, this institution held 41 patients at the time of writing. "Private patients could be admitted to the ward in the same manner as public. The charge for their maintenance was to be paid by the regents of the State University." The building itself was designed by architects Mason and Albert Kahn in 1906, and Kahn worked on additions in 1913. The first patients were transfered from the state mental hospitals at Kalamazoo and Pontiac.
Michigan's Public Act 85 in the 1930's resulted in the replacement of the State Psychopathic Hospital with the Neuropsychiatric Institute (NPI), which is still in operation at the University.
Click on the images below to see much larger images.
"Frat. Lodge" postcard image:
Image from Dr. Hurd's 1916 Institutional Care in the United
States and Canada, showing a slightly larger building that the one seen
in the "Frat. Lodge" postcard above: