CQ Family History Association Inc.
|Home Page • About Us • Publications • Articles & Indexes • Research • Contact Us • Links|
Salvation ArmyIn June 1885, four Salvation Army officers arrived in Brisbane and held meetings in a galvanised iron shed and from that humble beginning the Army's flag extended to other centres. On September 2, 1887, Captain Buckingham and Lieutenants Switzer and Redwood arrived in Rockhampton to prepare a campaign. While organising they attended the Presbyterian Church. They leased a building in Alma Street from G. S. Curtis for two years. The first service was held on September 16.
The Army met many difficulties in its early days. Meetings were continuously upset by a larrikin element. On one occasion (April 14,1889) the keyhole of a door was filled with matches and explosives. When worshippers opened the door several suffered from burns and shock. However, all difficulties were overcome and the Army continued to progress.
The new citadel in Alma Street was opened on July 5, 1891, by Staff Captain Saunders. It cost £1 500, of which amount £550 was collected up to the opening day.
In later years new halls were built at North Rockhampton and Hillside and progressive corps were built up.
In the 80's a branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society was formed in
Rockhampton, also a lodge of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The
Queensland Convention of the WCTU was held here in September, 1887.
|CQFHA Inc © 2007||
About Us •
Articles & Indexes •
Graphic Design by Round the Bend Wizards