CQ Family History Association Inc.

Early Schooling in Rockhampton

(Information about the opening of the schools in Rockhampton area has been taken from  A E HERMANN  "Development of Rockhampton & District - Volume 1")

Rockhampton primary schools date back to 1859 in the very year of the Canoona gold rush.  It was a period of tough living and hardship but despite all this, parents decided that education for their children was a necessary part of life

Below is a list of schools in the Rockhampton area and the date when they were founded or opened.  There have been a number of schools opened in the past 25 years and these have not been included

 

Allenstown School

founded 16 July 1877

 

Berserker Street School

founded January 1917

 

Central Boy's School cnr Denham, Murray & William Street

 

founded 1887

Central Girls School continued at William & Denison St.

 

first Rockhampton school erected on this site in 1859

Crescent Lagoon School (for students living in Nine Mile Area)

founded 7 July 1896

Depot Hill School

founded 14 September 1920

 

Frenchville School

founded November 1900

 

Glenmore School

founded 7 October 1889

 

Gracemere School

 

founded February 1871

Lakes Creek School

founded 1872

 

Leichhardt Ward School (later for boys only)

founded July 1905

 

North Rockhampton School

founded 31 March 1871

 

Park Avenue School

founded 1898

 

Pink Lily Lagoon School

founded 9 September 1872

 

Port Curtis School

founded 23 March 1875

 

Rockhampton National School (later known as Rockhampton Primary School and Central State School ) - there were actually two schools - one for boys and one for girls.  William & Denison St

 

founded 18 November, 1862

Rockhampton School and a centre for Divine Services - parents had to pay 1/6 per week per pupil.

founded 1859.

The Hall Girls and Infants School

founded 1910

 

CONVENT SCHOOLS

Koongal Convent Sisters of Mercy

1903

 

North Rockhampton Convent - Sisters of Mercy

1900

 

Our Lady's Convent - first erected behind the Kent St convent and later to become the first Catholic High School . Later moved to West St as Infant & Primary School

unknown date but before 1883

Park Avenue Convent School - Sisters of St Joseph

1939

 

St Josephs School, crn Alma & Derby St , first established by Father Charles Murlay and after 1873 run by The Sisters of Mercy.

St Patrick's school - a senior school for girls.

There was also an infants school and a boys school in West Street

before 1873

St Patrick's School built on the original site of St Joseph

1908

St Peter's Primary School - Presentation Sisters

1934 (classes in church)

1951

St Therese's Convent School , Bolsover St - Sisters of Mercy

1934

Wandal convent - sisters of St Joseph

1912

 

OTHER CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION SCHOOLS

 

CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOLS

St Pauls' Day School (new parish hall)

1901

St Faith's School, Yeppoon

1923

   

Seven Day Adventist Church , North Rockhampton

1975

Over the years, there have been a number of Private or church schools that have been founded and closed in this area.

Boy's Grammar School - Agnes St (originally 26 boys and 27 girls)  Girls department ceased in four years

 

1 February 1881

 

Christian Brothers College (Boys only) West St

2 July 1894

 

Convent & School of Our Lady of Good Counsel /Convent High School, Range College - Sisters of Mercy - Agnes St, Rockhampton ( in beginning had primary and secondary students & boarders .  Became an all girls school

1895

 

Girls Grammar School Agnes & Denham St

 

19 April 1892

 

Glenmore High School , Farm Road , Glenmore

1975

 

Marian Girls School , Yaamba Rd,  North Rockhampton (Secondary)

1964

 

North Rockhampton High School Berserker Street, North Rockhampton

late 1955

 

Rockhampton High School , Campbell Street

14 May 1960

 

St Brendans College, Yeppoon - Christian Brothers - Boys Day 7 Boarding

1940

 

St Stanislaus - Christian Brothers - boys, Yaamba Rd, North Rockhampton

1958

 

St Ursula's Convent & School , Yeppoon - The presentation Sisters - Primary and boarding students and the following year, secondary students (Girls)

 

29 January 1917

 

State High School and Technical College was established with a first drawing class  and other subjects under the jurisdiction of the School of Arts - classes held behind the School of Arts in Bolsover St

1890

 

Technical College , Bolsover St

1909 – 1960

 

CQFHA Inc © 2007 HomeAbout UsPublicationsArticles & IndexesResearchContactLinks

Graphic Design by Round the Bend Wizards

footer image footer image