Biography of John Ford
by Sally Steel (E-mail: Sally Steel)
John Ford arrived in VDL as a free settler from London on the convict ship Lord Melville with his relative John Henry Cawthorn. He received a grant of 312 acres of land at Macquarie Plains which he later sold to Richard Barker who built Rosegarland there. In 1820 Ford accepted the position of Commissariat Store-keeper at George Town.