The Hobart Town Gazette 1816 onwards
The Hobart Town Gazette, established by Andrew Bent, ¹ can be an interesting source of information for family historians. Its name was changed to Hobart Gazette in 1882 and to Tasmanian Government Gazette in 1907 ².
I am not attempting to index all of the Hobart Town Gazettes, the task would be absolutely huge. I am indexing the copies that I hold in my own research and library collection to provide an overview of the type of information that can be found. Each listing includes the type of information, Department Heading, Convict ship (if applicable, as listed), Convict number (if listed), date and page number of the publication.
Types of information listed in this index are:
- Claims to Grants of Land
- Absconders and Apprehensions
- Approval of Pardons
- Convicts illegally at large
- Enquiries made from England
- Granting of Free Pardons
- Granting of Pardons
- Granting of Tickets-of-Leave
- Notices of Approval of Marriage (published 3 times, third time only in index)
- Recommendation for applications for a free passage for wives and families
- Recommendation for Conditional Pardons
- Tickets-of-Leave revoked for misconduct
- Transportation expiry certificates issued
Lands and Works Office:
- Applications for Gold Fields Lease
- Failure to pay rent for Crown Land
- Leasing of Crown Land
- Tenders for the occupation of Crown Land
If you find a listing that you are interested in contact your local library to find your closest access.
Microfilmed copies of the Hobart Town Gazette can be accessed, in Tasmania, at the Archives Office of Tasmania and the State Library of Tasmania - Hobart, Launceston and Burnie branches. You can order photocopies from the Archives Office.
¹West, John, The History of Tasmania, Angus & Robertson Publishers 1981, ISBN 0 207 14334 X, pp 87-88.
²The William Dixson Foundation, The Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter, A Facsimile Reproduction of Volumes III & IV, January 3, 1818 to December 25, 1819, The Trustees of the Public Library of New South Wales in association with Platypus Publications Hobart 1967.
Index to Names in Hobart Town Gazette:
946 HTG entries