1907 ... Arizona
Provided below is a sample excerpt from ... Arizona, Supplementary Volume, by F. M. Irish, published in 1907.
CITIES AND TOWNS
The location of the cities and towns of Arizona has been determined by the
three great interests of the Territory: mining, agriculture, and stock
raising. All the larger cities have waterworks, gas and electric light,
electric street railways, ice factories, and other modern conveniences, and
are connected by long-distance telephone lines.
In the plateau region, where the chief interests are the raising of cattle and sheep and the cutting of lumber, Ave find the towns conveniently near the stock ranges or the forests. In the valley of the Little Colorado River are many thriving towns. Holbrook, the county seat of Navajo County, is the principal shipping point of the region for cattle, sheep, and wool. St. Johns, the county seat of Apache County, Concho, Springerville, Snowflake, and Heber are located among irrigated ranches and surrounded by fine grazing country. Winslow is a division point on the Santa Fe Railway, which maintains there a roundhouse and repair shops.
In the forest belt. Flagstaff, a town of 1500 inhabitants in 1907, is beautifully located at the foot of the San Francisco Mountains, and is surrounded by a region full of points of natural interest. It is the supply point for the sheep camps of a large area, and ships building stone from large sandstone quarries. The Northern Arizona Normal School is located here, also the Lowell Observatory, with its large telescope. Farther west is Williams, from which point a branch line of the Santa Fe road carries tourists to the rim of the Grand Canyon. Both Flagstaff and Williams manufacture large quantities of pine lumber and boxes.
In the mountain region, the cities have grown up around or near the important mines, and each mineral district has its group of towns and villages.
Chloride, the center of the Hualpai district, has a large concentrating works, and is connected by rail with Kingman, the county seat of Mohave County, and the shipping point for the cattle and mining interests of that section.
Prescott, whose population was 6500 in 1907, is picturesquely situated in a beautiful valley among pine-clad mountains. It enjoys a delightful climate, and is a thoroughly modern city. Railroad shops and factories employ many men, and the city is the center of supply for one of the important mining districts as well as the trade center for many towns along the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway and its branches. Among these are Humboldt, Mayer, Crown King, Skull Valley, Kirkland, and Congress.
A railway line into the Black Hills reaches Jerome (population 4500 in 1907), which depends for its wealth upon the United Verde copper mine and other mines in the vicinity.
Wickenburg is a junction point on the Arizona and California Railway, and is the central point of a rich gold-mining district.
Globe (population 8500 in 1907) is an enterprising city in the center of an important copper district, containing many mines, of which the principal producer is the Old Dominion, which operates large smelters. The products of these mines, as well as many mountain cattle, are shipped out over the Gila valley branch of the Southern Pacific, which passes through the rich agricultural valley of the upper Gila.
This valley is one of the most important farming sections of the Territory, and here we find Solomonsville and Safford with flouring mills, also Geronimo, Pima, and Thatcher.
Near the eastern boundary of the Territory are three of the busiest towns of Arizona. Clifton with 6000 inhabitants, Morenci with 5000, and Metcalf with 2000, are but a few miles apart, and are built among the mines of a rich copper district, the second in Arizona in point of production. Although built on the steep sides of the canyons of San Francisco River and Chase Creek, they have many fine buildings and modern improvements. The Arizona and New Mexico Railroad gives an outlet to the Southern Pacific at Lordsburg, New Mexico.
The most productive copper district in Arizona surrounds the city of Bisbee, whose population was 10,000 in 1907. Here are the famous Copper Queen mine and the Calumet and Arizona, which together have produced over $20,000,000 worth of copper in a single year. A branch line connects with the Southern Pacific at Benson, and the ore from the mines is shipped over another railway to the great smelters at Douglas, which in size and capacity are second only to the great Washoe smelter in Montana. Douglas (population 9000 in 1907) is well laid out with broad streets and good buildings, and, besides the smelters, has also large machine shops, foundries, and other manufacturing establishments.
Naco is the shipping point for large copper mines in Sonora, Mexico, with which it is connected by a railroad.
Tombstone (population 2000 in 1907) is surrounded by large silver and gold mines which have been worked for many years.
Wilcox and Benson are important railroad points.
Nogales had a population of 2507 in 1907. It is the county seat of Santa Cruz County, and has important mining and stockraising interests. It is located on the Mexican boundary, and is the chief port of entry for Arizona.
Tucson, in the valley of the Santa Cruz, is the largest city of Arizona, with a population of 20,000 in 1907. It is the base of supply for a large number of mines, and does a large amount of wholesale and jobbing business. There is a fine public library, many fine business blocks, flour mills, and ice works. The Southern Pacific repair shops here are the largest in the Territory. The University of Arizona is located here, and the Carnegie Desert Laboratory is nearby.
In the desert region, the important towns are located in the irrigated sections.
Phoenix, the capital and second city in size, had in 1907 a population of 15,000. It is situated in the fertile Salt River valley, the leading agricultural region of Arizona. It is connected by rail with the main line of the Santa Fe on the north and with the Southern Pacific on the south, and is on the route of the new east and west trunk line. It has fine buildings, beautiful parks, flour mills, planing mills, and ice factories, and ships large quantities of farm products and cattle.
Tempe (population 1400 in 1907) and Mesa (with 1250) are surrounded by fine ranches. Both these towns manufacture flour, ice, butter, and cheese, and ship large quantities of hay, grain, and fat cattle. The Tempe Normal School is a territorial institution, and is favorably situated near the center of population of the Territory.
Yuma (population 2500 in 1907) is the shipping point for the rich farming and fruit-raising district of the lower Colorado River, and is the base of supplies for the mines of the Castle Dome, Fortuna, and other districts.