Mohave County Archive
Native American Genealogy
The following information was transcribed submitted by Martha A. Crosley Graham in October 2009.
Press Reference Library
Notables of teh West
Being The Portraits And Biographies Of The Progressive Men Of The
West Who Have Helped In The Development And History Making Of This Wonderful Country
Published By: International News Service
New York. Chicago. San Franscisco, Los Angeles. Boston. Atlanta. 1913
Fred W. Morrison, attorney-at-law, of Kingman, is rapidly coming to the front ranks of his profession in Mohave county, where his residence dates back but two years. For twenty-two months he was associated with Fleetwood Bell, their partnership having been entered upon in August, 1899, soon after his arrival here. Being an able and ambitious young man, full of energy and determination, he is receiving favorable notice among his professional co-workers. A native of Missouri, Mr. Morrison was born in Fayette, Howard county, in 1873. He received the advantages of a liberal education, attending the public schools and Central College of his native place, after which he pursued his higher studies in Christian Brothers College in St. Louis. Before he had reached his majority, and because he was too young to enter any profession, he traveled as salesman for a St. Louis house, and also for some time represented the business interests of Swift Packing Company, of Kansas City, on the road. In 1896 he began the study of law in the office of R. C. Clark, of Fayette. After due preparation, he took the examination and in July, 1898, was admitted to the bar. In May, 1899, he was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Missouri. After establishing an office and practicing Law in Fayette for a -few months, Mr. Morrison concluded to try his fortunes in Arizona. In the spring of 1899 he settled in Prescott and was connected with the firm of Herndon & Norris until August, 1899, when he came to Kingman. His partnership with Mr. Bell was mutually beneficial, and they were engaged as legal advisers of the Gaddis & Perry Company, also many of the leading business firms of the city and county. They established a branch office at Chloride and built up a large and profitable practice in that locality, where Mr. Morrison owns some mining property. He is an active worker in the Democratic party and is counted upon as an ardent young politician. Mr. Bell was graduated from the State University of Missouri at Columbia in 1897, and during the same year was admitted to the bar of his home state, after which he practiced in Columbia until March, 1899. During June of that year he began professional practice in Arizona. In the fall of 1900 he sold his interest in the law business to Mr. Morrison and moved to Prescott. Since that time the latter gentleman has had in charge the management of the practice they had built up and at the same time he has increased its volume by the gaining of additional work along professional lines. Pages 38-41
HON. WEBSTER STREET
In the last half century the lawyer has been a pre-eminent factor in all affairs of private concern and national importance. He has been depended upon to conserve the best and permanent interests of the whole people and is a recognized power in all the avenues of life. He stands as the protector of the rights and liberties of his fellow men and is the representative of a profession whose followers, if they would gain honor, fame and success, must be men of merit and ability. Such a one is Judge Street, now chief justice of Arizona.
He was born in Salem, Ohio, June 8, 1846, a son of Samuel and Sarah (Butler) Street, the former also a native of Salem, Ohio, the latter of Philadelphia, Pa. His early ancestors on both sides were of English descent and prominent members of the Society of Friends. His paternal grandfather, John Street, was born near Philadelphia, Pa., and became a pioneer merchant of Salem, Ohio. He married Miss Ana Ogden of New Jersey. The maternal grandfather, Benjamin Butler, was also a native of New Jersey, and an early settler of Salem, Ohio. His wife bore the maiden name of Webster.
The Judge’s father was a farmer by occupation and always adhered to the Society of Friends. He died in Salem, Ohio, at the age of seventy years. Of his seven children the Judge is the only one living, and he was fifth in order of birth. His brother, Ogden Street, entered the Union army during the Civil war as captain of Company C, Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out as colonel of his regiment.
He engaged in the manufacture of iron in different parts of Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky, and died at Dayton, Ohio.
During his boyhood and youth Judge Street attended the public and high schools of Salem, and completed his literary studies at Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio. He commenced reading law under the direction of Thomas Kennett, and was admitted to the bar at St. Clairsville, Ohio, in 1871. For two years he was engaged in practice at Letonia, that state, and then removed to Pittsburg, Pa., where he prosecuted his chosen profession until coming to Arizona in November, 1877. He first located at Prescott, but soon afterward removed to Signal, Mohave county, and later spent one year at Tucson. In 1879 he took up his residence in Tombstone, Cochise county, and while there served as county judge one term. In January, 1887, he came to Phoenix, where he was first engaged in practice as a member of the firm of Goodrich & Street, and later as a member of the firm of Street & Frazier, which partnership continued until his appointment as chief justice in October, 1897. His district comprises the counties of Maricopa and Yuma. He is winning high commendation by his fair and impartial administration of justice, and is credited with being the most popular official that ever presided over the district.
At Yellow Springs, Ohio, Judge Street married Miss Mary Gilmore, a native of that place and a daughter of William and Mary E. Gilmore. Her father was a merchant of Yellow Springs. Two children were born of this union : Lawrence, now deputy district clerk; and Julia, wife of J. C. Wickham of Philadelphia, Pa. The family is one of prominence in Phoenix.
The Judge was made a Mason at Salem, Ohio, and now holds membership in Arizona Lodge No. 2, and Arizona Chapter, R. A. M. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Maricopa Club. Religiously he is an Episcopalian. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and he has served successively as secretary and chairman of the territorial committee. He is also ex-president of the Territorial Bar Association. His mind is analytical, logical and inductive.
With a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of the fundamental principles of law, he combines .a familiarity with statutory law and a sober, clear judgment, which makes him not only a formidable adversary in legal combat, but has given him the distinction of being one of the ablest jurists of the territory. Pages 47-48.
JUDGE EBENEZER WILLIAMS
A criminal lawyer of recognized erudition and profound legal research. Judge Ebenezer Williams, a member of the bench and bar of Nogales, has a reputation extending beyond the confines of his resourceful little town, and may be said to belong to the territory in general as well as to the bi-national city.
A native of Pittsburg, Pa., Judge Williams was born October 3, 1830, and is a son of Ebenezer and Margaret (Jones) Williams. His youth was fortunately surrounded with excellent educational advantages, and culminated with the training received at Allegheny College. While still a youth he had decided upon the profession which should engage his mature years, and as a preliminary entered the office of George P. Hamilton, attorney, and in due time was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Pennsylvania, and in the United States court. For a time he practiced in his native city, and in i860 went to the present site of Minneapolis, Minn., which was then but a sorry prediction of its present prominence among the cities of the country. With the breaking out of the war he returned to Pennsylvania, and enlisted in the One Hundred and First Volunteer Infantry as first lieutenant, under command of the old war governor of Pennsylvania, Andrew Curtin. After the battles of Fair Oaks and Seven Pines he was breveted major, and as a member of the army of the Potomac, participated in all of the important battles, as aid to General Wessels.
With the restoration of peace Mr. Williams returned to Pittsburg, and continued the practice of law until 1880. at which time he removed to the far west and practiced for two years in San Diego, Cal. His first association with the territory of Arizona began in 1884, when he settled in Mohave county, and practiced law in Mineral Park. His ability received early recognition, for he was soon elected district attorney for Mohave county, and held the position for two years. After a subsequent short residence in San Diego, he came to Nogales, in 1891, and opened a law office. His various duties included that of city attorney, and attorney for the Nogales Building & Loan Association. In the fall of 1897 he was elected superintendent of the public schools of Pima county, but relinquished his position when the separation of Pima and Santa Cruz counties occurred in March of 1898, preferring to remain in his own county. At the time Governor Murphy appointed him probate judge and first superintendent of schools for the new county of Santa Cruz.
Judge Williams is one of the most substantial of the citizens of Nogales, who have demonstrated an abiding faith in its ultimate rank among the largest and most enterprising cities of the territory. His career is a matter of pride to all who are associated with him in whatsoever capacity, and his numerous claims for recognition are based upon the possession of those attributes which insure lasting good to the community of which he is a member. He has a perfect command of the Spanish language, and is one of the most delightful as well as forceful extemporaneous speakers in the territory. The readiness with which he can comply with a request for a speech, upon a multitude of subjects, has aroused the wonder and admiration of the public men with whom he is associated in different parts of the territory. An instance is cited when he was called upon to reply to the word Rebekah, at the reception of the Grand Lodge in Tucson of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at which time he went upon the platform without any previous preparation, and delivered an eulogy that was afterwards widely printed, and mentioned with many expressions of appreciation and wonder. Judge Williams has at his command an extensive vocabulary, a ready and fine wit, and an elegance of expression, which is convincing, pleasing, and altogether acceptable. Fraternally Judge Williams is associated with Masonic Lodge No. 240, at Sonora, Mexico, also is a member of the Odd Fellows, and noble grand of Lodge No. 9, at Nogales ; past grand secretary of the Territorial Grand Lodge, and past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias in Nogales. Politically he has always been a stanch Republican. While a resident of Pittsburg he married Miss Jane Gallaher, of that city. They have had three children, viz., Ross, deceased ; Bertha, deceased, and Brady, at home. Judge and Mrs. Williams are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal church. Page 161-162.
JUDGE JAMES M. SANFORD
The settings which necessarily go hand in hand with the narrative of the life of Judge James Monroe Sanford are prolific of historical and romantic suggestions, which range in their extent and variety from the very early settlers along the New England coast, through the once peaceful shades of Arcadia, immortalized by Longfellow, into the realms of the horror-laden days of witchcraft. More modern but yet more interesting are the journeys of the present-day Sanfords, their associations with the awakening of the difTerent parts of America from the primeval sleep, that had only been lightly disturbed by the tread of the fleet-footed Indian and the tramp of the buffalo herds. Of the daring men who penetrated the wilds of Arizona in the beginning of the ‘60s, few remain to tell the tale of their conflict with the dangerous and law-ignoring element, and their subsequent conquering of the same.
Arriving here in the winter of 1861-62 from Sacramento, Cal., Judge Sanford is the oldest resident of Arizona north of the Gila river and east of Fort Mohave. The family is of English descent and was first represented in America by three brothers, one of whom settled in South Stonington, Conn., another in Virginia, and the third settled in Illinois while it was yet a territory. The original name was Sandford, but as the brothers sailed for this country the purser of the vessel inadvertently changed the name to Sanford, and as such it has since continued. Judge Sanford is descended from the Stonington branch, the members of which were prominent in the early history of Connecticut, and from which also comes William Sanford of California. ( )n the maternal side there is the old Puritan stock of Salem. Mass., with their strange and unyielding austerity, and their cherished belief in witchcraft. In fact, up to the time of Judge Sanford”s mother, who bore the maiden name of Sarah Wooliver and was a daughter of Caleb Wooliver, there still remained a lurking belief in the horrible prevalence of human witches. The Wooliver family originated in Germany. Caleb Wooliver was born in the Dutch colony of Halifax, Nova Scotia, was reared in the Dutch colony of Albany, N. Y., and enlisted in the Revolutionary war. hut before the close of hostilities was taken back to Halifax as a prisoner of war. Subsequently he settled in Nova Scotia and married a Miss Hunt. Judge Sanford’s father, James Sanford, was born in New Brunswick, and spent his life in the regions around the bay of Fundy.
James Monroe Sanford was born in Nova Scotia November 21, 1821, and was educated in the town of Douglas. From a long line of ancestors similarly gifted he inherited a genius for the mechanical side of things, which was earlv develoju^d and turned to practical account.
In 1844. at the age of twenty-three, he was seriously handicapped by uncertain health, and, having expended several hundred dollars on doctors without any help, he was finally fortunate in falling under the successful treatment of Dr. Shutliff, of Brooklyn. In accordance with the doctor’s suggestion he traveled extensively through Canada and the northeast states, and was greatly benefited. In 1847 he went to St. Louis, and was employed on a contract for the construction of the officers’’ quarters at Fort Jefferson. In 1849, with a large train of emigrants bound for California and the gold fields, he started overland from Cooper’s Ferry. Upon locating in Sacramento he engaged in building and contracting, and in placer mining at Weaverville. He was identified with the early history of Sacramento and got out some of the timber for the first buildings in the town. In 1850 he went to Yuba and located some claims at Long Bar, from which he took out $1,200 in a few weeks. After six months of successful work there, he went to Doneville, on the Yuba, at Little Rich Bar, where he located claims that enabled him to leave the district with a fair supply of gold dust, of which he had enough to make him quite weary before he reached his journey’s end. He made the trip on horseback. A Mr. Zumwalt, who made the same trip, had his mule loaded exclusively with gold dust. In search of a desirable location Judge Sanford purchased teams at Marysville, and traveled over the Sacramento bottom, settling in 1851 upon a farm in what is called the Sutter Pocket. Three hundred and sixty acres were entered, on which he began to farm and raise fruit, remaining there for eleven years, when the property was disposed of for $5,500.
A change of location was effected in 1861, when, during the latter part of the winter, Judge Sanford settled in Needles, on the Arizona side, and, in partnership with John Brown, of San Bernardino, built the first ferry-boat on the Colorado river, at Fort Mohave. A subsequent undertaking was the management of a farm on Cottonwood Island in the Colorado river, but he objected to the Pinte Indians gathering his crops, and removed down on the Verde in Yavapai county. There he helped to establish a settlement near the famous Camp Verde military post. He had zealously petitioned General Wright, of San Francisco, to send troops for the protection of the settlers in the Colorado valley, but they did not arrive until he had located on the Verde. In this district he again took up farming, but again the Indians molested to such an extent that the settlement was broken up. After the Indians had ruined his prospects there, he settled in Prescott, then but little more than a town site. Here he started the first saw mill and turned out lumber for the erection of the buildings. Incidentally he had a little ranch on the Granite creek and engaged in horticulture, but the frost proved a formidable rival, and destroyed the fruit. For twenty-four years he remained in Prescott, and during that time handled immense quantities of lumber, and for ten years had the monopoly of making chimneys, his mechanical skill contriving many excellent devices for improving draft and disposing of smoke. In Prescott also he attained considerable popularity as a nurse, for which he was well prepared by reason of his extended experience in nursing the soldiers returned from the Mexican war. Many times in the west he was called upon to officiate in severe cases, especially where amputation of a limb was necessary and good treatment essential. In 1881, when the Santa Fe Railroad was being constructed from Albuquerque to Needles, he was engaged at different camps along the route in furnishing lumber for the camps.
In the fall of 1862 Judge Sanford left Fort Mohave in company with twelve others on a mining expedition, the Indians having told them of a rich find. On the fourth day out the Indians began to surround them and act in a menacing manner, and Judge Sanford, with one other comrade, thought discretion the better part of valor, and hastily beat a retreat. Of the ten who continued to chase the gold phantom of the Indians’ brains only” two returned, the others having fallen victims of the savages. In 1884 Judge Sanford located a ranch near Williams and invested $2,000 in cattle, also bought a good brood of mares, and proceeded to raise cattle and horses. For eight years he was successfully engaged in this enterprise, and then, concluding that advancing years were a hindrance to life in the saddle, he sold out his business. In 1882 he was appointed justice of the peace and was afterward re-elected or appointed six different times, serving in all fourteen years.
This position has afforded an excellent opportunity for ridding the locality of undesirable personages, especially horse thieves and marauders.
Under the regime of Judge Sanford they have been induced either to give up their unlawful methods of doing business, or transfer them to other and less quiet districts.
Judge Sanford owes his election to the independence of the people, for he claims allegiance to no particular party. He is a socialist in the broadest sense of the word, and believes in the right of every individual to hold all that he earns in this world. While pursuing a busy and tireless career he has accumulated a large property, owning in all twenty-eight and one-half lots in Williams, besides many buildings, and formerly had ninety-three lots and many buildings in Prescott. Strange to say, this earnest pioneer has had no sharer of his fortunes, for he has never married. Pages 168-170.
JOHN P. FEENY
Since entering upon his service as county recorder of Mohave county, Mr. Feeny has won the high esteem of the public by his able and conscientious service in official positions. He was first elected to this responsible place in 1898, and discharged his duties so well that he was a popular candidate at the expiration of his term, and at the polls received a majority vote of two hundred and nine, over John C. Potts, a pioneer and favorite citizen of this county. Since becoming a permanent settler of this territory Mr. Feeny has been one of its most useful citizens. Though a native of Boston, Mass., born in 1858, our subject was reared in the west, as his parents removed to Virginia City, Nev., when he was about a year old, and continued to make their home in that place for eighteen years. His education was completed in San Francisco, and in 1874 he received the first prize in a competitive test in penmanship. In 1878, during the mining excitement at Bodie, Cal., he went to that point, but soon returned to Virginia City, where he had been interested in mining enterprises for some time.- For seven years he was connected with the Nevada National Guard, of which he was a lieutenant two years. Later he mined in San Bernardino county, Cal., and in the vicinity of Providence in the same county. In 1882 Mr. Feeny came to Arizona and prospected in the very locality near Jerome, in which the United Verde mine has since been developed. He remained there for two years and superintended the construction of many of the buildings put up by the company which owns the mine just mentioned. In 1884 he went to the southern part of Arizona and with Judge Walker engaged in operating the Vekol mine. Subsequently he made a trip through San Bernardino County, Cal., and through Death valley to Eureka, Nev., where he leased and managed the Banner mines for eight months. Then for six months he lived in San Francisco, and in 1887 went to Bisbee and Tombstone. Ariz.; then accepting a position as mine carpenter at Georgetown, Cal.. where he was located six months. During the ensuing two years he was associated with mining companies of Forest Hill, Placer county, same state, and in 1892 became superintendent of the G. A. R. group in the White Hills district of Mohave county, Ariz. Since that time he has personally mined and prospected near Chloride and Mineral Park, meeting with quite gratifying success. Mr. Feeny has a wide acquaintance in mining circles and is considered a practical, progressive business man. In political ranks he is an ardent Democrat and makes a point of attending conventions of the party. He was a delegate to the territorial convention which assembled at Phoenix in 1900, and at the present time is secretary of the county central committee of Mohave county. Besides belonging to the Miners’ Union he is affiliated with Kingman Lodge No. 468, Order of Elks, and is a member of the Kingman Comedy Club, for which his native talents have peculiarly fitted him. In connection with his public position of county recorder, he is ex-officio clerk of the board of supervisors of Mohave county.
In his domestic relations Mr. Feeny is especially fortunate. His marriage to Miss Mary Hackett, of San Diego, Cal., took place in 1896, and they are the parents of a promising little son, John P., Jr. Pages 350-353.
A. E. EALY, M. D.
A. E. Ealy, M. D., local surgeon of the Santa Fe Railroad at Kingman, and for several years superintendent of the Mohave County Hospital of this city, is a very successful physician, standing high in his profession. He is identified with the International Association of Railway Surgeons and is a member of the Arizona Territorial Medical .Association, being its third vice-president at the present time.
The birth of the Doctor took place in Bedford County. Pa., in 1846. And there he was reared and educated. Upon completing his common school course he became a student in Washington and Jefferson College, and subsequently prepared himself for his future career by systematic study under the supervision of his father, Dr. J. C. Ealy, who was a successful practitioner of Bedford for half a century or more. Matriculating in the medical college of the University of Pennsylvania he continued there until his graduation, in 1870. During the ensuing five years he was associated with his father in practice at Schellburg, Pa., and then located in Dayton, Ohio, where he remained for about a year.
Coming to the southwest in 1880. Dr. Ealy took up his residence at Albuquerque, New Mexico., where he steadily rose in his profession, being physician to the Indian School for six years, officiating as city physician for a number of years and also serving in the capacity of county coroner. At the end of thirteen years spent in that thriving little city he decided to remove to a place of lower altitude, owing to poor health experienced by some of his household. Kingman proved to offer the chief requisites, and since 1891 he has dwelt here. He is well known and is popular with the railroad men between Albuquerque and Kingman, his acquaintanceship with them being quite extensive. In all local affairs he has manifested his patriotic interest, and, like the majority of our enterprising citizens, has made investments in mining property, his claims being situated in the Colorado River district. In addition to this he owns several buildings here, and uses his influence in the promotion of all public interests. In his political creed he is a stalwart Republican. He is the chief medical examiner for the New York Life, the Mutual Life, the Equitable, the Pennsylvania Mutual, the Hartford Life Associations, and many others. In the fraternities he is a popular member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias lodges of this city. Page 394.
O. D. M. GADDIS
The subject of this sketch was born in Lumpkin County, Ga., April 28, 1859. He was educated at the N. G. A. College, in the state of Georgia, and after finishing his education taught in the public schools of his native state for a while. In 1880 he was appointed to a position as storekeeper and gauger in the United States internal revenue service northern district of Georgia and filled the same until 1882, when he was appointed United States traveling ganger for thirteen counties in north Georgia. From this position in 1883, W. H. Johnson, collector of internal revenue, Georgia, appointed him deputy collector, and assigned him to the deputy collection division composing the counties of Fannin, Towns and Rabun. These counties border on the line of North Carolina and Tennessee, and being far secluded from railroads and very mountainous, were the natural homes of the moonshiners (illicit distillers), and it was the duty of Mr. Gaddis as deputy collector to chase the moonshiners, cut up their stills and enforce the revenue law, so he experienced many close calls in armed skirmishes with them and has more than one dead to his credit while acting in this capacity.
In 1884 Mr. Gaddis desired a change of work, and was appointed deputy United States marshal by Gen. James Longstreet, the noted Confederate general, now a good live Republican. In 1885, when President Cleveland came into office, Mr. Gaddis, being a Republican, resigned from the revenue service. Thence he went to Lexington, Ky., and took a full business course in the Commercial College of Kentucky University. Next he proceeded to Orange Home, Fla., and taught a commercial class for six months.
In April, 1886, he took the California fever, and located in Fresno county, Cal., where he was bookkeeper for the firm of Webber & Grayson for over two years. He then went to New Mexico and was bookkeeper on the Los Animas ranch over a year, after which he was employed in the chief clerk’s office. Southern Pacific Railroad Company, at Sacramento. He left the railroad employ to accept a position as bookkeeper for Beecher & Co., at Kingman, Ariz., in 1891.
After residing in Kingman three months. Judge E. W. Wells, of the district court, appointed him clerk of said court, which position he filled, but still held his position as bookkeeper for Beecher & Co. In the spring of 1893 he formed the corporation of Gaddis & Co., who superseded Beecher & Co. Mr. Gaddis became the manager of this concern, and conducted a thriving general merchandise business until 1894, when he sold out to other stockholders and two months afterward went into business alone. In November, 1894, he took J. E. Perry in business with him and the firm of Gaddis & Perry was formed and this firm has been the leading general mercantile establishment in Kingman ever since, doing a majority of business at this point without question.
At the November election in 1894 the Republicans of Mohave county nominated and elected Mr. Gaddis to the territorial assembly,
and he served in that body with distinction. In 1897 he was appointed postmaster at Kingman, the office then being a fourth-class one. February 14, 1899, the office was advanced to the third class and President McKinley appointed him postmaster for a term of four years. Mr. Gaddis is interested in some of the best mines in this section and his business as merchant is thriving. He is known by everybody in the county and very popular among the masses. Pages 494-497.
HON. ADAMSON CORNWALL
Since 1880 the subject of this article has been prominent in the affairs of Mohave county, and for a quarter of a century has been closely identified with its development and progress. Time and again he has been called to positions of responsibility and trust, and always has abundantly justified the confidence which the public reposed in him. In the autumn of 1880 he was elected to represent this district in the territorial legislature of Arizona, and during his two years of service in that capacity was chairman of the committee on education and was a member of several other committees. In 1884 he was a candidate for the position of joint councilman of the northern district of Arizona and was defeated by Dr. Ainsworth, his political opponent, who received a small majority, carrying two of the live counties interested. In 1886 Mr. Cornwall was honored by nomination to the same office, and was triumphantly elected by a plurality vote of 982. He served his full term as president of the territorial council, and won the high regard and lasting esteem of the general public by his wise and manly course.
Again, in 1898, they manifested their great reliance upon him by electing him as treasurer of Mohave county, and as such he served for two years. From his early manhood he has been devoted to the policy of the Democratic party, and has been an influential factor in its councils, frequently being selected as a delegate to local and territorial conventions. A westerner by birth and every association and sentiment, Hon. Adamson Cornwall certainly is true to the vital interests of the Pacific slope, and especially of this, his chosen community. His father, Rev. Josephus A. Cornwall, was a pioneer minister in Oregon and for about a score of years labored earnestly in the cause of Christianity in that state, being a leading light in the Presbyterian denomination there. He was a native of Georgia, whence he came to the west in 1846, thus being among the heralds of on-coming civilization, and one of the first settlers of Oregon. His death occurred when he had arrived at the advanced age of eighty-two years, at which time he was a resident of Ventura county, Cal. His wife, the mother of our subject, bore the maiden name of Nancy Hardin. Of their twelve children nine are yet living and two, Adamson and William Cornwall, are residents of Mohave county. The date of our subject’s nativity is June 10, 1850, his birthplace being near Salem, Ore.
His youth was chiefly spent in California, and his literary education was obtained in Sonoma College, after which he engaged in teaching in the public schools of that state for two years. In December, 1875, he came to Arizona from Ventura county, Cal., and located upon a ranch situated in the southern part of Mohave county.
From that time until the present he has been more or less extensively interested in the cattle business and in farming, and in order to render his property more valuable he had ditches made from the Sandy river, thus affording irrigation privileges when necessary. By industry and perseverance he has won a well deserved prosperity, for he came here without capital or resources, but with a firm resolve to make his own way. That his sterling integrity is relied upon might be proved in many ways, and that his financial ability is believed in. has been frequently shown, as, for instance, when he has been appointed as administrator of mining property, as he has been several times. In the local lodge of Odd Fellows he is holding the office of treasurer at this writing.
In 1886 Mr. Cornwall married Miss Jennie L. Hunt, of Monterey county, Cal. Faithfully she shared his joys and sorrows, and in 1898 was called to her reward in the better land. Five children are left to mourn the loss of a loving mother, namely: Amy L., Thomas Lane, Clay A., Irene, and Clarence. Page 547-548.
SAMUEL J. GEDDES
Of Irish parentage, he was born in Montreal, Canada, and is a son of Samuel and Jane Geddes, natives of county Tyrone, Ireland, and who emigrated to Canada in 1859. They are farmers by occupation, and are still residents of this northern clime under the jurisdiction of the English. Their son received a good common-school education, and an excellent home training, and was well qualified to buffet with the various winds of fortune when he started away from home in 1882, at the age of eighteen. For three years he settled in the Red River valley in northern Minnesota and then accepted a position as clerk with the firm of Pratt & Elliott, of Grandin, N. D. After four years he occupied a similar position with John A. Getty & Co. at White Bear Lake, Minn., with whom he stayed until 1891.
After a year’s sojourn at his home in Canada, Mr. Geddes came to .Arizona in June, 1S92, and was with the Arizona Copper Company as salesman at Clifton for two years. In the spring of 1894 he came to Willcox as salesman for Norton & Co., wholesale and retail purveyors of general merchandise, remaining with this concern for three years. He then started in business for himself in partnership with L. V. Mc-Court, and for the carrying on of the general merchandise business there was erected a fine large building, 30x100 feet in ground dimensions, and which is stocked with one of the largest and most complete assortments of general merchandise in the town. A wholesale as well as retail business is successfully conducted, and the firm have met with a deserved patronage and appreciation. In addition to the two partners the services are required of two clerks and a bookkeeper.
To add to his responsibilities, Mr. Geddes was appointed postmaster of Willcox by President McKinley in February of 1899, his assistant in the discharge of the duties of the position being J. M. Pickarts, formerly of Leavenworth, Kans. During the year ending with June, 1900, a business amounting to $2,228 was carried on, and in the short time of a year and a half the office was raised from fourth to third-class. To aid him in post-office and store, Mr. Geddes possesses a thorough knowledge of the Spanish language. He is a believer in the principles and issues of the Republican party, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he is a chapter Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias. Pages 598-599.HARVEY HUBBS
Almost continuously for the past twelve years Harvey Hubbs, a well-known citizen of Kingman, has occupied public positions of honor and responsibility, and never has been found remiss in meeting his obligations as an official. His financial and executive ability have been thoroughly tested and his fidelity to duty is beyond question.
Born in California forty-six years ago, Harvey Hubbs spent his boyhood and youth in that state, but since 187S has dwelt within the borders of Mohave county. For about six years subsequent to his arrival here he was exclusively devoted to mining and prospecting, and to this day retains a strong interest in that line of business. He is the owner of a valuable group of gold and silver mines in the Hualapai district at the present time and at intervals continues to make investments in mining property.
About seventeen years ago the well-known Hubbs House, of Kingman, was built by the subject of this sketch, and after being successfully managed for a decade and a half it was destroyed in the great fire of 1898, in which the entire block fell a prey to the flames. In addition to his other losses, Mr. Hubbs suffered one which he feels deeply. His cabinet of fine specimens of ores and minerals, valued at $6,000, at the lowest estimate, and to him almost beyond price, was burned. Experts often had pronounced the collection as wonderful, with few, if any, equals in the territory.
With characteristic energy and undaunted purpose Mr. Hubbs, associated with Samuel Crozier, set about the erection of a substantial brick hotel in 1899, and in the due course of time it was completed and ready for business. The two-story building, 75x100 feet in dimensions, is utilized as storerooms on the ground floor. Above is the Hotel Beale, as it is called, comprising forty rooms, and now a thriving and popular hostelry. Besides this, Mr. Hubbs is interested in other real estate and property in Kingman, and also owns a fine herd of cattle, upwards of two hundred head of stock.
Throughout his mature life, Mr. Hubbs has been active as a Democrat. He was elected for a two years’ term as one of the supervisors of this county in 1888, and at the close of his service in that capacity was further honored, being elected county treasurer. Again, in 1894, and a third time, in 1896, he was elected to the same responsible office, for which his qualifications seem to have specially fitted him. At the expiration of his last term as such, his name was once more brought forward to public notice, and in the fall of 1898 he was elected as sheriff of Mohave county. In this important position, as in each of the others which he has occupied, he fulfilled every requirement and earned fresh commendations from the public. The only fraternal organization with which he is now identified is that of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, as he is a charter member of the Kingman Lodge of the same.
In 1887 the marriage of Mr. Hubbs and Miss Johanna Wilkinson, of Iowa, took place in this city. They have a pleasant home and are the parents of two sons and two daughters, namely: Alta, Wayne, Vernon and Nadine. Pages 638-641.
EDWARD F. THOMPSON
This pioneer of Mohave county enjoys the honor of having been one of the founders of the now thriving little place of Kingman. In company with Conrad Shenfield he settled upon the site of the future prosperous railroad town and then proceeded to lay out the place and erect the first buildings here. He then was made postmaster of Kingman, the first to occupy that position, and from its inception has retained a lively interest in the town so near to valuable mining properties.
The birth of Mr. Thompson occurred in Solano county, Cal., December 12, 1852, and when he was in his seventh year he accompanied his parents to Carson City, Nev., where he lived until 1871. Desiring to become acquainted with the resources and advantages afforded by the various sections of the great west, he then made an extended trip through several of the leading states and territories. In March, 1877, he came to Arizona, to which his allegiance has since been unwavering, and for a number of years gave his entire attention to mining and prospecting, chiefly in the vicinity of the Silver King mine and on Mineral creek.
Then going to Coconino county, nearly at the center of the territory from east to west. Mr. Thompson entered the employ of Mr. Shenfield, the contractor, and assisted in the construction of the present Santa Fe Railroad system, then known as the Atlantic & Pacific. Subsequently, in 1883, he assisted in laying out Kingman, which was named in honor of the popular chief engineer of the road. About 1885 Mr. Thompson went to Mineral Park and during the following five years was in the employ of Beecher & Co., general merchants of that place.
The superintendency of the Empire mine at Chloride, owned by him, then devolved upon him, and for two years he held that position. Since 1892 he has been engaged in business in Kingman. Here he has owned considerable real estate since the time the town was laid out and his own residence is one of the most convenient and pretty homes hereabouts. His interest in mining has not flagged in the least and at the present time he has large investments in claims located in the Hualapai district.
In 1890 Mr. Thompson married Mrs. Josephine Christie, a resident of Mineral Park. They have three promising sons and a little daughter, the sunshine of their home. In order of birth they are named, respectively, Claude, Stewart. Arthur and Bessie. From the time that he reached his majority
Mr. Thompson has been active in the counsels of the Democratic party. His influence, which is not slight, is always used for his political friends, and he rarely is absent from the local conventions of his party. Fraternally he is a charter member of the Kingman lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, of which he is now exalted ruler. Page 693.
JUDGE J. A. LOGAN
The life record of the honored subject of this memoir is the record of one whose entire career has been on the frontier, and who has experienced and shared the vicissitudes of the pioneer of civilization and prosperity. One of the oldest residents of Mohave county, in years of continuous residence, he is entitled to representation in this volume, if for no other reason; and aside from that fact he is eminently deserving of an honored place in the annals of Arizona, with whose interests his own have been intimately connected for more than a quarter of a century. Born in Wayne county, Mo., in 1821, then looked upon as the “far west,” Judge Logan was reared in that state and in Arkansas, his advantages being quite limited. However, he was by nature a great student, and by his own efforts he educated himself, preparing for his future profession by a diligent perusal of the great legal authorities. Admitted to the bar before the supreme court of Arkansas in 1845, he embarked in practice. The great excitement of 1849 called to his joining the pilgrimage across the plains, his being the southerly route, via Tucson, Ariz., then a tiny Mexican hamlet. Crossing the Colorado river at Yuma on a raft, he proceeded to Trinity river (Cal.), where he was occupied in placer mining, and for some time conducted a general merchandise business.
While on his way to California in 1849, he and the members of his company constructed the first boat ever built in New Mexico, employing it for crossing the Rio Grande. In 1855 he returned on a visit to his old home in Arkansas, but m 1857 again started for the Pacific slope, this time driving a herd of cattle across the plains. He was quite fortunate in this great undertaking, as “he lost only a few head of cattle, and was traversing Utah on the northern side of Salt Lake at the time the dreadful Mountain Meadow massacre occurred at the southern end of that body of water. He did not entirely escape molestation, for he had several exciting experiences with the Indians and Mormons.
Locating in Tehama county, Cal., he devoted several years to the cattle business.
The spirit of adventure which has animated all discoverers in all ages then took possession of the Judge more completely than ever before, for, when he had completed his four years’ term in the state legislature of California, as a senator representing Tehama county district, he refused re-nomination and went to the state of Sonora, Mexico, where for two years he mined and prospected. Then he returned to California and continued his way northward, residing in eastern Oregon and Idaho for a period, in the meantime making some of the first discoveries of valuable gold deposits in Canon creek and Granite creek in the Blue mountains. Though he located some fine claims and had started to develop them, he found that the climate was seriously affecting his health, and for that reason he left the region, allowing others to reap the rich reward which he might have garnered under more favorable conditions. Returning to Tehama county, he devoted himself to different undertakings, with varying success.
In the spring of 1875 Judge Logan came to Mohave county and, settling in the Big Sandy Creek district, gave his attention to the management of a ranch and to mining enterprises for a number of years. In the autumn of 1892 he was elected to the probate judgeship on the Democratic ticket, and took up his residence in Kingman, and since that time has officiated in this capacity, being chosen as his own successor at each election, excepting one election 1894 receiving a two-thirds majority vote in 1896, 1898 and 1900, a fact which plainly indicates his popularity and the confidence which the people repose in him. Included in his duties is the supervision of the schools of the county, the office of superintendent not yet having been created here, though in force in many of the counties of the territory. He owns mines in the McCracken district, and retains his deep interest in the mineral wealth of Arizona. The secret of his success in all of his undertakings is his energy and foresight, his concentration of purpose and sterling integrity. Pages 803-804.
F. W. HAYES
The farming experiences of Mr. Hayes in Graham county have been attended with marked success, and there is probably no one in the vicinity of his home who has given the subject of climate, soil and general advantages more thorough study, or is better prepared to enumerate the many excellencies which await the settler in this particular part of Arizona.
Arriving in the territory in the early 1903, he was for a time interested in milling in Mohave county, and during the boom in Tombstone he was one of the most enthusiastic of the seekers after a competence in this wild and, at the time, remote camp. He subsequently became a miner for the Philadelphia Company near Crittenden, Santa Cruz county, later removing to Willcox, where, for about twelve years, he was successfully occupied with the cattle business. In 1884 he was elected supervisor of Graham county, and served in that capacity for four years.
In 1898 Mr. Hayes came to Safford and purchased the farm of forty acres upon which he has since lived, and which is adjacent to the town. This property is under a high state of cultivation, is well fenced, and has a large and comfortable brick house. A fine orchard is planted with a variety of fruit-bearing trees, but the remainder of the land is largely given over to the cultivation of alfalfa, besides about a hundred and fifty tons of hay. The pasture land is devoted to feeding about thirty head of stock.
Mr. Hayes has arrived at the conclusion that the average yield of wheat per acre in the valley is between forty and fifty bushels, and of corn sixty bushels. Of corn and wheat two crops are raised a year, while of alfalfa the average number of crops is five. Fruit in general is fine and the average good, the quality and flavor being equal if not in many instances superior to that raised in California.
The Hayes family were among the early settlers in Ohio, the paternal grandfather having gone there before the Revolutionary war, in which he was a valiant and courageous soldier. F. W. Hayes was born in Ashland county, Ohio, in 1846, and is a son of J. W. and Eliza Jane Hayes, natives respectively of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
His youth was spent on his father’s farm, where he mastered every detail of the work there required, and at the same time attended the public schools. An otherwise uneventful life was interrupted by the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted as a private in Company B, One Hundred and Second Ohio Infantry, and was in time promoted to the position of first sergeant. At the battle of Decatur, Ala., he was wounded, and was discharged from the service June 7, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio.
After the war Mr. Hayes completed his education by attending college for two years, and then decided to avail himself of the undeveloped west as a future field of effort. In 1868 he settled in Oregon for a year, and then went to Nevada, where he engaged as a coal contractor for a smelting company for three years.
Then followed his coming to Arizona, in 1884, where he has since so successfully profited by the opportunities here presented. In August of 1897, Mr. Hayes married Bell Conway, of Hagerstown, Wayne county, Ind. In national politics he is a Republican, but has never desired to devote much time to local office. He has, however, served as supervisor of the county. Fraternally he is associated with the Knights of Pythias, of Solomonville, and is, with his wife, a member and worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are the parents of one son, Frank Conway, born January 4, 1901. Pages 820-821.
JUDGE JOHN M. MURPHY
The name of this gentleman has been associated with Arizona about three decades, as he first came to this territory in 1871, and from that time to the present has been actively connected .with the development of its mineral resources, at the same time continuing in legal practice. For eighteen years he has made his home in Kingman, whose prosperity he has lost no opportunity for advancing since he became a permanent resident of the thriving little city.
Accompanying his parents from Ireland to America in his childhood, Judge Murphy lived with them in Canada, later in New York state, and in 1850 came with them to the west, settling in San Francisco, where he attended school. Being an apt student and ambitious, he concluded to enter the legal profession, and for some time pursued his researches along this line in the office of Sharp & McDougal, of San Francisco.
Later he completed his studies in Nevada and was admitted to the bar in 1868. During the next three years he was engaged in practice at Pioche, Nev., and by strict attention to the interests of his clients, built up a good business. Thirty years ago he came to Arizona, and until 1876 dwelt in Chloride and Mineral Park and that district. Then, returning to California, he practiced law and engaged in mining in Inyo county for a short time. In the fall of 1876 he went to Deadwood, S. D., where he became a part owner in the famous Caledonia mine, and also had other mining interests. Finally, disposing of these, he devoted himself more exclusively to his profession, and it was not until he had lived in Deadwood four years that he decided to return to Arizona, then coming into prominence as a producer of mineral wealth.
For years he has made a special study of the laws pertaining to mines and mining, and long has been considered an authority in matters pertaining to this subject. With a deep interest in mines that has never lagged, he has been a prospector and developer of several paying mines. At present he is the owner of the Pay Roll mine at Chloride, on which, under his direction, the amount of $40,000 has been expended in development work. The Twins and Blue Lode mines, two of the best in the Cerbat district, were developed by him largely, and their value is shown by the official reports, the average yield being $40 in gold, silver and lead to each ton of ore extracted.
The year 1880 was an eventful one to Judge Murphy, as it not only witnessed his marriage to Mrs. Mary O’Connell, of Amador county, Cal., but also his permanent settlement in Arizona. Becoming a resident of Tombstone, he soon identified himself with several mining companies of that district, also being attorney for the Contention Mining Company and a number of other local firms. In 1883 he came to Kingman, where he now owns several valuable lots and houses. Here, as formerly, he has devoted his chief attention to mining law, and has been the attorney for several representative mining companies of this region. In 1885 Governor Tritle appointed him judge of the county court of Mohave county, which position he filled for two years. In 1886 he was honored by election as district attorney, and after an interval of two years, between 1888 and 1890, he was re-elected to that responsible position.
In 1898 he was elected to the territorial legislature and represented Mohave county in the council, where he distinguished himself by drawing up and securing the passage of the present territorial mining law. By both mining experts and the legal fraternity this law is regarded as one of the most perfect in existence in the United States, and its enactment has accomplished much toward placing the great business of mining on a safe basis. From early manhood Judge Murphy has been a stanch Democrat, and for fully fifteen years served as chairman of the central Democratic committee of Mohave county. He was chairman of the senatorial committee, and held a similar position in the committee on mines and mining, besides being a member of the judiciary committee in the council, in the twentieth territorial legislature. He is regarded as one of the leading residents of Kingman, where, for years past, he has done everything in his power to advance local prosperity. Pages 911-912.
The efficient sheriff and assessor of Mohave county, Mr. Lovin, a respected citizen of Kingman, is a native of North Carolina, his birth having occurred in Rockingham, Richmond county, in 1866. He was reared and educated in the south, and for several years after reaching manhood was connected with the fruit-raising industry in Florida as superintendent of the famous Monarch orange orchard belonging to the Monarch Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and situated near the town of Ocala.
In 1885 Mr. Lovin came to Arizona, and in company with W. M. Ward was occupied in the business of raising oranges and lemons, their orchard comprising thirty acres, and located in the fertile and finely irrigated Salt River valley in the vicinity of Phoenix. At the end of three years Mr. Lovin turned his attention to mining interests, and was connected with the Commercial Mining Company, whose claims are not far from the Senator mine near Prescott. In 1890 he came to Mohave county, and during the following four years was employed by the Taggart Mercantile Company of Kingman.
In the meantime Mr. Lovin devoted considerable time and capital to mining and prospecting, chiefly along the course of the Colorado river. He located several good claims, among them the placer mine now in the possession of the Santa Ana Mining Company, and with others he discovered the group now operated by a mining company composed of Boston capitalists.
With his characteristic speculative spirit, one day he grubstaked a wandering Mexican prospector named Jose Jerres to the amount of $12.80. Within forty-eight hours the Mexican had located the claims now known as the Gold Road mines, the outcroppings from which assayed forty-eight ounces of gold to the ton. This property was sold at once to a Los Angeles syndicate, and its development shows it to be, beyond question, one of the great gold properties of the territory. Besides his interest in that mine, he owned shares in several others. At present he is part-owner of the Hillside mine, an excellent producer of gold-bearing ore. In his various mining ventures he has met with marked success, and for several years he has employed from six to eight men, experts in mineral values, to stake out claims for him in promising localities.
Always an active worker in the ranks of the Democratic party, Mr. Lovin is recognized as an influential factor in the same, and several times has been a delegate to conventions. For two years he served efficiently as under-sheriff, and at the end of that period, in the fall of 1900, was elected to the superior position, receiving the largest majority vote of any sheriff ever elected in Mohave county. The office is combined with that of county assessor. In the fraternal organizations he is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Page 957.
Portrait And Biographical Record of Arizona: Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, 1901
Mohave County Coordinator - Clarissa Loyd
AZGenWeb State Coordinator - Gail Kilgore
AZGenWeb Assistant State Coordinator - Colleen Pustola
AZGenWeb-Mohave County, Arizona: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial researchers, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages many not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor by presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above, must obtain express written permission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed Mohave County Coordinator.
© 2004 - Present. Clarissa Loyd, Contributors & The AZGenWeb Project. All Rights Reserved.