Portuguese Genealogy and related information on the Azores and Portugal
Genealogy Sites of interest
***** Please note that the links given on this page are NOT part of the AzoresGenWeb site. Any errors or problems found with these sites should be reported to their respective webmasters.
Portuguese Genealogy Sites
Also, other sites for those folks interested in the Azores, Portugal, or the immigration of the Portuguese to California.
- CENTRO DE CONHECIMENTO DOS AÇORES - This site is a government site and is a work in progress. They are posting the records for the Azores! Almost all of the records are now available on this site in digital format. You can actually see the baptismal, marriage, or death records for your ancestors! More additions to the site are planned for the future so check in often. There are many other records and resources on this site, as well. To see the available parish records, click on PESQUISA DE REGISTOS PAROQUIAIS on the main page and follow step #2 below...
- Follow these steps:
1) Go to http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/
2) On this page,
- under Ilha (island) choose the island you want from the popup menu. The page wil refresh...
- From Concelho (council) choose the one you need. If you're not sure which Concelho, check the Map page on the Azores GenWeb for your island. It will designate which Council each Freguesia is in. The page will refresh...
- From Freguesia (parish/town) choose from the list
- Click the Procurar button.
- From there, just choose the type of records you want to see and the date range (there may be several pages), then click the link Ver.
- Tomba site: Index and links to online parish registers of the Azores, Madeira, and Portugal
- CITCEM: Centro de Investigacao Transdisciplinar Cultura Espaco e Memoria. This is the Transdisciplinary Research Centre. The information was formerly on the NEPS site and covers Pico, Faial, part of Sao Jorge, and part of continental Portugal. If you have ancestors from any of these places you MUST try this database! You might find the ancestors AND descendants of the person you are looking for. Wonderful resource!!
- From the link, click on the village/parish that you are interested in ...
- On the next page, click on the circular arrow at the bottom right
- If you want to see the page in English, click on the British flag
- Azores.com - The practical site of the Azores giving great information on travel, festivities, geography, history, and great photos.
- Blog of a recent visit to the Azores in 2009 - Marcia and Alan recently traveled to the Azores and this is the wonderful and interesting blog of their trip. It includes beautiful photos and is well worth your time to visit!
- Genealogy Blog of Marcio Borba: Beautiful videos of the Azores on this site!
- Study Portuguese Abroad with Maria Oliveira Language Learning
Practice, improve, and perfect your Portuguese language skills with our Portuguese language immersion program in the Azores
- Learn To Speak Portuguese Now
Learn Portuguese with Maria Oliveira's self-study Portuguese language programs on CD and audio tape. Downloadable lessons. Free lessons and interactive exercises on web site. Complete online Portuguese courses also available. Convenient, effective and affordable. Satisfaction guaranteed.
- Applied Language Solutions --- This site has both a free translator (machine) or fee based services:
- Inbox Translation Ltd – A London based translation agency that offers Portuguese (and other languages) translation services
- Portuguese Festas in California, 2007 -- This is an old listing about the Festa schedules of California for 2007 including maps to find them.
Although out of date, I have kept it here so folks will know where there are Festas held.
- LusaWeb - This site is full of information helpful to Azorean researchers, including:
- Portuguese Family Roots Database
- Genealogy resources for the Azores
- Azorean immigration
- Anglicized California surnames
- Names of early Portuguese immigrants to California
- Portuguese-Hawaii Genealogical Society
- Portuguese Hawaiian Heritage & Genealogy --This website covers genealogy and heritage for Portuguese Hawaiian researchers.
- Fernando Candido's Portuguese Genealogy Home Page There is lots of information on this site to help in your genealogy research including important addresses and a list of common Portuguese words translated into English.
- Saudade by Miriam Winthrop
Between Europe and America, the Azores archipelago is isolated by thousands of miles of open ocean. In this picturesque but harsh environment, its people developed a unique culture. Herself isolated by circumstance, Ann Parker is caught between a tragic past and a bleak future. In trying to survive, she finds solace in exploring the lives of her ancestors on the Azores. The interwoven stories of Ann’s past and the Azores’ past unfold when she flees to the islands. The beauty around her and the kindness of the people she meets begin to heal her but as she regains hope for the future, her mind suppresses disturbing events that might compromise the sanctuary she has found.Saudade is beautifully written and richly layered.
Winthrop is a gifted, careful writer. She ingeniously weaves in historical events, genealogy, geology, immigration, the meaning of home, and much more, while introducing us to a fascinating and resilient woman, Ann Parker.
The story of the Azores is told with love for the people—past and present—and for the biogeography of these islands.
This book can be purchased at Amazon now and should be at Barnes & Noble, i-tunes, and other places within a week. (16 Mar 2014)
FROM THE AUTHOR: A special disclaimer for all those who know and love the Azores: Saudade is a work of fiction. Although it has been meticulously researched, a few minor details, such as locating an international airport where one has never been or populating the fictitious town of Porto Velho, were changed to accommodate the storyline.
Other Genealogy Sites of Interest
- Ancestry - To take full advantage of what this site has to offer, you will have to join and pay a fee. However, there are some free databases to search, newletters, and other things of interest here.
- Genealogy Today.com - home of the Online Genealogy Index
- The Quaker Corner
- Roots Web Genealogical Data Cooperative
- Genealogical Forum of Oregon, Inc. - Researching ancestors in Oregon? Then, check this out!
- World Gen Web Project
- USGenWeb Project
- U. S. Census Bureau
- Ancestry's Social Security Death Index
- National Archives and Records Administration
- Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site: Home Page
- Treasure Maps the How-to Genealogy WWW Site
- Online Public Access is a searchable database of NARA's holdings across the country.
- MapQuest Find a City anywhere in the World!
- Archive, Family History Made Simple and Affordable
- Rootsweb Search Engines Search for your surnames here or submit your own
- Clark County Genealogical Society - Clark County, Washington
- National Archives of Canada Check this out if your ancestors come from, or immigrated through, Canada.
- Genealogy on the Web A list of resources for researching genealogy on the Web.
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy SitesThis site has over 50,000 links!
- USGS Mapping Information: Maps, imagery, and publications in the United States.
- Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter
- Bureau of Land Management Search the Land Patents for several Eastern States. You can view and print the actual records!
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild A great resource to check for your ancestors. There are over 4400 ship lists from all around the world, contributed by volunteer transcribers.
- People Search: Genealogy Resources - Misc. genealogy links including the history of genealogy, a genealogy glossary, search engines, information on software, maps, and many other ares of interest to genealogists.
Back to the Top of this page