Genealogy and Historical related links
for the Cariboo & Chilcotin


The Cariboo

The Cariboo area is plateau and mountain country in central BC reaching from Cache Creek to north of Quesnel.  The name Cariboo is thought to be a miss spelling for Caribou, member of the deer family.  Among the earliest visitors to the Cariboo were Alexander McKenzie and Simon Fraser in search of an overland route to the Pacific.

The first peoples of the Cariboo were the Shuswap (Secwepemc) Nation, who are part of the "Interior Salish".

News of the discovery of gold in the Cariboo reached the outside world in 1858.   The crown colony of British Columbia was established quickly on November 19, 1858 to maintain law and order. In 1862 and 1863 the Cariboo Wagon Road was surveyed and built bringing the major influx of settlers to the area. 

From about 1860 -1920, Soda Creek and 150 Mile House were the two centres for government offices in the Cariboo-Chilcotin.

The Cariboo Wagon Road

The Cariboo Wagon Road or Trail, was surveyed to accommodate the gold seekers heading to the Interior. The route began at the north end of the Fraser Canyon in Lillooet, which has the official Mile "0" Cairn, and traveled north through the Cariboo Country and ended in the gold mining town of Barkerville. Many of the place names simply took their names from the nearest Cairn Marker on the route. Roadhouses appeared every 10-12 miles so that the weary travelers might stop.

BC SchoolNet's Cariboo Gold Rush Site A great site !!!
The Cariboo Gold Rush at BC Archives great description site about the towns, the people and how the Gold Rush got started.
A Cariboo History
A Cariboo Gold Rush History
The Cariboo Wagon Road
Cariboo "Slang" from 1863
Cariboo District in 1887 (The description given in the 1887 Williams Directory of BC)
The Overlanders  In 1862, a group of 115 men and 1 woman left Ontario and were headed to the British Columbia Cariboo in search of gold. More on the Overlanders.
Early District Pre-Emptions
Ernie Kaesmodel is compiling Gold Rush information for an eventual book. He is interested in exchanging related information.
Petition for a Mounted Constable in 1887 for the Lillooet-Cariboo District From the BC Government files, lots of individuals signed the petition!!
100MileNews.com on the Web (Along the Cariboo Trail is a series of historical articles)

Need help to find any small or obscure BC location ??, search here!!

The following is a geographical list of sites that are included in the Cariboo Region listed in Alphabetical order.  If you are familiar with any of these local histories or know of any good history links please help me make this list as complete and accurate as possible.

59 Mile House
59 Mile House history

70 Mile House
70 Mile House, located north of Clinton, was one of the first historic roadhouse locations on the famous Cariboo Wagon Road.   It was started by G.B. Wright in 1862.

70 Mile House history

100 Mile House
Originally the site of a campground for Hudson Bay Company fur traders, it is one of the earliest roadhouses on the Cariboo Wagon Road. It was first known as Bridge Creek but later 100 Mile House received it's name because of it's distance from Mile "0" in Lillooet. Thomas Miller built one of the first road houses in 1862-3. A telegraph office opened in 1877. Originally 100 Mile house was the only stop after leaving 83 Mile House.

South Cariboo Genealogy Group
100MileNews.com on the Web (Along the Cariboo Trail is a series of historical articles)
100 Mile House area Obituary, Cemetery, and School information, Phyllis Galloway has offered to do Look-Ups
1887 Directory, see Lac La Hache
1901 Census of 100 Mile House included in 1901 Census of Williams Lake
1919 Directory of 100 Mile House

 

105 Mile House
1887 Directory, see Lac La Hache
1919 Directory of 105 Mile House

108 Mile House
William J. Roper of Dorsetshire, England,  first came to 108 Mile House in 1863.  William Walker came in 1884 and also left. It was Steve Tingley and his sons Clarence and Fred who first really settled the 108.
108 Mile House records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.

South Cariboo Genealogy Group
History of the 108 Roadhouse
A 108 Mile House Murder Trial in 1885
1887 Directory, see Lac La Hache
108 Mile History
108 Heritage Site

122 Mile House

122 Mile House history

137 Mile House

137 Mile House history

141 Mile House

141 Mile House history

150 Mile House
In 1860 government offices set up in 150 Mile House. The first farm there belonged to the Thomas Davidson and his brother.  150 Mile House records are often grouped with Williams Lake.

1887 Directory of 150 Mile House
1887 Directory of Williams Lake (also included some 150 Mile House)
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including 150 Mile House
1895 Directory of 150 Mile House
1919 Directory of 150 Mile House
The Roadhouse at 150 Mile

153 Mile House
1919 Directory of 153 Mile House

Alexandria
Named for Sir Alexander Mackenzie, it was the most southern point he reached before he headed west toward the Pacific Ocean.

Alexandria Roman Catholic Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA
1887 Directory of Williams Lake (includes listings from Chilcotin, 150-Mile, 144-Mile, Chimney Creek, Soda Creek, Alexandria, Sheep Creek, Deer Park, Oatlands, Lansdowne, Onwards Ranch)
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Alexandria
1895 Directory of Alexandria
1919 Directory of Alexandria

Barkerville
Barkerville is located at the end of the Gold Rush Trail, 89 km (55 mi.) east of Quesnel. In 1862, William "Billy" Barker found gold on Williams Creek, a discovery that started a rush of fortune seekers from all over the world. Between 1862 and 1870, over 10,000 people traveled the Cariboo Wagon Road, named the eighth wonder of the world, converging on the gold fields, and the boom-town called Barkerville. In its heyday, Barkerville was the largest city west of Chicago and north of San Francisco.  In 1868 the prosperous town was destroyed by fire. A second Barkerville was built but by 1871 it was obvious that growth had peaked. By 1900 Barkerville held only a vestige of its former glory.

BC SchoolNet's Barkerville Site
Barkerville on-line, includes historic photos and historic newspaper articles.
Barkerville Photos
The Barkerville Fire of 1868
Barkerville Historic Town
Barkerville Museum
Barkerville Who's Who of 1870
"Blacks" in Barkerville
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley,Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton,Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Barkerville (includes Antler Creek, Bear Lake, Conklin's Gulch, Germansen Creek, Grub Gulch, Hardscrabble, Manson River, Mosquito Creek, Richfield, Slate Creek, Stout's Gulch, Sugar Creek, Williams' Creek )
Barkerville Cemetery
Old Barkerville / Cameronton Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA.
1901 Census for Barkerville - In progress !!

Big Bar Creek or Lake
Northwest of Clinton and southwest of 70 Mile House. It is said that the name is derived from the Chinese gold panners who pushed a lot of gravel into the Fraser River at the mouth of this relatively small creek.  The gravel formed a 'big bar' in the Fraser thus the name of the creek and the two lakes upstream (Little Big Bar Lake and Big Bar Lake (the headwaters of the creek).

Bridge Lake
Bridge Lake is East of 100 Mile house between Lone Butte and Little Fort.

Bridge River Valley Cemetery, as listed in the BCCFA
South Cariboo Genealogy Group

Buffalo Creek
Buffalo Creek records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.  Buffalo Creek is East of 100 Mile House.

Cache Creek
The earlist know photo of Cache Creek was taken in 1866 of the Bonaparte House at the bottom of Rattlesnack Hill.

1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton, Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1893 Directory of Cache Creek

Cameronton or Camerontown
Located beside Barkerville, only one kilometre away, Cameronton was named for John Angus "Cariboo" Cameron.  It was John Cameron who had one of the richest claims of the 1860's gold rush. On July 18, 1863 the town that grew around John's shack was officially named Cameron Town.  The town rivalled Barkerville for a few years but it gradually gave way to its neighbour.  Only the Cameronton Cemetery remains.

Old Barkerville / Cameronton Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA.

Canim Lake
Canim Lake records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.  Canim Lake is northeast of 100 Mile House.

Chimney Creek
Chimney Creek is located 10 miles south of Williams Lake.  It was named for a stone chimney that was left standing originally part of Father Demers cabin, an early missionary in the area.  The Chimney Creek Ranch was pre-empted in 1861 by Frenchman  John Laveau.  It was sold to John Rose and then later in 1876 to another Frenchman Amadee Isnardy.  Felker Lake was named for Patrick Felker, the son of Henry Felker a pioneer in 127 and 144 Mile House.
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Chimney Creek.

Clinton
It was called 47 Mile House in 1861, but was renamed Clinton in 1867, for Henry Pelham Clinton, the fifth Duke of Newcastle and the colonial secretary from 1859-1964.  It is located 36 km (22 mi.) north of Cache Creek and 80 km (50 mi.) south of 100 Mile House.  During the Cariboo Gold Rush, Clinton was a busy junction on the wagon road leading to the gold fields of the north.

South Cariboo Genealogy Group
Clinton Cemetery, included in the BCCFA
Clinton Cemetery, Phyllis Galloway has offered to do Look-Ups
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton,Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Clinton
1891 Census for Clinton - In progress !!
1919 Directory of Clinton

Cottonwood House
Located between Quesnel and Barkerville, it was built in 1864 & 1865 and served as a stop over for gold seekers travelling to Barkerville.

Cottonwood House Historic Site
Cottonwood House and John Boyd

Eagle Creek
Eagle Creek records are often grouped with 100 Mile House. Eagle Creek is northeast of 100 Mile House.

Fawn/Fawn Lake
Fawn records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.  Fawn Lake is east of 100 Mile House.

Forest Grove
Forest Grove records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.   Forest Grove is east of 100 Mile House between Buffalo Creek and Canim Lake.

Forest Grove Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA

Green Lake
Green Lake records are often grouped with 70 Mile House.
1860-1861 Land Pre-Emptions (including Alexandria, the Chilcotin, 100 Mile House, Williams Lake)

Harper's Camp
This community later became known as Horsefly.  See Horsefly

Harvey Creek
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton, Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Harvey and Keithley
1895 Harvey Creek is listed under Keithley Creek.

Hawkins
Hawkins records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.

Hixon

Horse Lake
Horse Lake records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.   Horse Lake is east of 100 Mile House.

Horsefly
Once called Harper's Camp, the small community is situated on the banks of the Horsefly River, and to the east of the Cariboo Wagon Trail 51 km from 150 Mile House. It is an area known for its hordes of horseflies and other insects.  Horsefly is the site of the first gold discovery in the Cariboo. Peter Dunlevy, an American, and four friends were led to the Horsefly River by Long Baptiste, an Indian they had met at Lac La Hache. They panned the first gold in June of 1859. Within the day, another party of miners arrived and the rush was on.

A Chronology of Horsefly
Harper's Lease Cemetery , Roman Catholic Cemetery and the Horsefly Cemetery.
1887 Directory of Williams Lake, (includes listings from Chilcotin, 150-Mile, 144-Mile, Chimney Creek, Soda Creek, Alexandria, Sheep Creek, Deer Park, Oatlands, Lansdowne, Onwards Ranch, Horsefly)
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Horsefly
1919 Directory of Harper's Camp

Hydraulic
Hydraulic records are often grouped with Likely.

Keithley
Named for W.R. "Doc" Keithley, one of the original discoverers of gold on the Quesnel River in 1860.
Keithley or Keithley Creek records are often grouped with Likely.

1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton, Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Keithley and Harvey
1959 Directory of Keithley Creek

Lac La Hache
When a French-Canadian fur trader dropped his axe into a remote Cariboo lake, he probably never suspected that it would be the basis for the name of La La Hache, "Lake of the Axe".  Known as the "The Longest Town in the Cariboo" it is located about 20 km (12.4 miles) north of 100 Mile House. The first white settlers were Archibald McKinley, Isaac Ogden and Gavin Hamilton.

South Cariboo Genealogy Group
Felker Family Cemetery, (bottom of page)
Lac La Hache Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA
Lac La Hache Cemetery, Phyllis Galloway has offered to do Look-Ups
1887 Directory for Lac La Hache (includes from 100 Mile House to 144 Mile House)

Likely
Likely is a small community situated where the west arm of Quesnel Lake empties into the Quesnel River.   Originally called Quesnel Dam, the name was changed to honour one of the first gold prospectors, John A. Likely of the Bullion Pit Mine, who was affectionately called "Plato" for his tendency to philosophize.  In 1898 the Quesnel River was dammed near Likely to enable down river areas to be explored for gold. During the last week of October in 1922, more than 697 ounces of gold were recovered at the Cedar Creek Mine. In 1935 the Bullion Pit became the site of the largest hydraulic monitors ever installed in North America. It operated from 1892 to 1942, constructing over 64 kilometres of canals to draw water from nearby lakes and creeks to feed the hydraulic nozzles. Today, the Bullion Pit stands as an astonishing man-made canyon which can be viewed from the trail above.

Likely
Some Likely history

Lillooet (Mile "0" on the Cariboo Wagon Road)
Lillooet, situated on the banks of the Fraser River, was once the largest settlement in British Columbia and held a population of nearly 20,000. It's importance is evident in that the Mile "0" Cairn that marks the beginning of the famous Cariboo Gold Rush Road is placed in Lillooet. Miners and traders used this route to the interior and it was vitally important during the Cariboo Gold Rush. The cairn was used as a measure for all the mile posts to the north; 83 Mile, 100 Mile House, 150 Mile House are examples where communities have grown up along the Gold Rush Trail.

Lillooet Local History
Pollard's Cornish Ranch and Roadhouse
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton, Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
Bernard Schulmann has offered to assist those researching in the Lilloet/Pavilion area.

Little Lake
Little Lake records are often grouped with Likely.

Lone Butte
Lone Butte is about 11 miles east of 93 Mile House. Once one of the Cariboo's largest towns, Lone Butte was a centre for ranchers who settled in the area, from the early 1900's to the 1950's.  The Lone Butte, an extinct volcano core, for which the community is named, is seen to the east.
Lone Butte records are often grouped with Bridge Lake or 100 Mile House.

South Cariboo Genealogy Group
Lone Butte Cemetery, as included by the BCCFA

Loon Lake
Loon Lake records are often grouped with Clinton.

McAlister Lake
McAlister Lake records are often grouped with McLeese Lake.

McLeese Lake
Named for Robert McLeese, one of the first pioneers and postmaster at Soda Creek.  He registered his farm in 1863, and also had a hotel, store and sternwheeler steamer.   McLeese Lake is between Williams Lake and Quesnel.

Meldrum Creek
Named for Thomas Meldrum who came to the Chilcotin in the 1860s.  Meldrum Creek records are often grouped with Williams Lake.

Miocene
Miocene is about 18 Miles east of 150 Mile House, and was a stopping house on the way to Harper's Camp (Horsefly).  Miocene records are often grouped with Williams Lake.
History of the Pioneer Ranch

Moorehead
Moorehead records are often grouped with Likely.

Ochiltree
Ochiltree records are often grouped with Williams Lake.

Pavilion
Bernard Schulmann has offered to assist those researching in the Lilloet/Pavilion area.

Pine Valley
Pine Valley records are often grouped with Williams Lake.

Quesnel
Sometimes called the Gold Pan City, built at the junction of the Fraser and Quesnel rivers, this settlement grew rapidly as a way station on the route to the goldfields. By the early 1860's Quesnel Mouth, as it was known then, had two hotels, two stores, the Hudson's Bay Post, a telegraph office, grist mill and lumber mill. Paddlewheel steamers stopped on their way up the Fraser River from Soda Creek to Fort George (now Prince George). Saddle trains packed goods between Quesnel and Barkerville. The river and lake were named for Lieutenant Jules Maurice Quesnel, who accompanied Simon Fraser down the Fraser River in 1808.

Quesnel Museum
1808-1928, A TRIBUTE TO THE PAST, Quesnel & Area,    Shannah Griggs has offered to look-ups for this book.
1887 Directory of Quesnelle
1893 Directory of Quesnelle
1895 Directory of Quesnelle
1914-1949 Civil Court Cases filed at Quesnel
1914-1948 Probate and Estates filed at Quesnel
1916-1948 Probate and Estates filed at Quesnel (additional names)
1919 Directory of Quesnel
1919-1948 Small Debts Court Cases filed in Quesnel
1923-1946 Criminal Cases in Quesnel
Quesnel History
The Life and Times of Doctor G.R. Baker (Quesnel's first doctor)

Quesnel Forks
Quesnel Forks is now a ghost town just over the hill from Likely where the Cariboo and Quesnel rivers meet.  Established in 1859, in the early 1860's it was one of BC's largest communities. It once housed the largest Chinese population north of San Francisco. It flourished until 1865 and was nearing its end in the 1930s and the last resident left in 1965. It has also been referred to as Quesnel City, the Forks, Quesnelle and Quesnelle Forks.

Quesnel Forks
Quesnel Forks History
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton,Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Harvey & Keithley(includes Forks of Quesnelle)
1893 Directory of Quesnelle Forks
1895 Directory of Quesnell Forks
1919 Directory of Quesnel Forks
Biography of Grant Grinder 

Richfield
Richfield emerged around mining claims during the summer of 1861, the area had previously been referred to as Williams Creek.  The town was named Richfield by Lieutenant Palmer, Deputy Commissioner of Lands and Works.  Richfield was the chosen site for early government buildings but by 1868 the town was already in decline.  It was in Richfield that Judge Begbie held court.  The court house was rebuild in 1882.  In 1958 the government repossessed the building in ruins.  
Richfield Cemetery listings

Rose Lake
Named for Fred Rose, a gold seeker from 1860 who pre-empted land near what became known as Rose Lake.  Rose Lake is between 150 Mile House and Horsefly.  Fred would later become the lawman at 150 Mile house.

Ruth Lake
Ruth Lake records are often grouped with 100 Mile House.

Soda Creek
The water from this creek comes through a formation of carbonate and lime and bubbles like soda water.  In 1860 the government set up offices in Soda Creek. It was originally called Soda City.
Soda Creek records are often grouped with McLeese Lake and Williams Lake.

Soda Creek Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA
1887 Directory of Williams Lake, (includes Chilcotin, 150-Mile, 144-Mile, Chimney Creek, Soda Creek, Alexandria, Sheep Creek, Deer Park, Oatlands, Lansdowne, Onwards Ranch)
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Soda Creek
1895 Directory of Soda Creek
The Xatsull Native Village pronounced "hat-shul" (near Soda Creek)
Soda Creek First Nations

Stanley
Stanley Cemetery, as included in the BCCFA
Stanley Cemetery listings

Stout's Gulch
Stout's Gulch is located between Barkerville and Richfield.  It was named for Edward "Ned" Stout, a Bavarian gentleman who had come the Cariboo in the early 1860s via the California gold rush.

Sugar Cane
Sugar Cane records are often grouped with Williams Lake.   The St. Joseph's Mission is located in Sugar Cane.

Wells
Established in the 1930's as a gold mining town, Wells is located 82 km (51 mi.) east of Quesnel  and 8 km (5 mi.) west of Barkerville. The town is named after Fred Wells who had prospected in the area for 10 years and discovered the Cariboo Gold Quartz Mine. Wells' mine introduced a new era in the history of gold-mining in the Cariboo since there had been little lode mining up to that point in time. The town reached its maximum population of 3000 by 1940.

Wildwood
Wildwood records are often grouped with Williams Lake.

Williams Creek
William "Dutch Bill" Dietz discovered gold in Williams Creek in 1861 sparking the great rush to the Cariboo. William's Creek runs through Barkerville.  In 1862 the name Williams Creek was changed to Richfield.

Williams Lake
Williams Lake was named for Chief William of the Sugar Cane Tribe in 1845.  The Catholic missionaries built a church in the area in 1842  and T. W. Davidson established a farm and roadhouse in  1859.  In 1860, Commissioner Philip Nind was sent to organize the Cariboo.  Nind built a "government" house in 1861 and established the new community.
** Before Williams Lake was well established BMD's and other government business records were listed under the Clinton District.

A Williams Lake Chronology
A History of Williams Lake
Roll of Remembrance (The Fallen of WW I & WW II)
1875 Voters List for BC, includes Barkerville, Cache Creek, Canoe Creek, Clinton, Harvey and Keithley, Lightening Creek, Lillooet, Lytton,Quesnelle Mouth, and Williams Lake
1887 Directory of Williams Lake,(includes listings from Chilcotin, 150-Mile, 144-Mile, Chimney Creek, Soda Creek, Alexandria, Sheep Creek, Deer Park, Oatlands, Lansdowne, Onwards Ranch, Horsefly)
1893 Directory of Williams Lake
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Williams Lake
1895 Directory of Williams Lake
1901 Williams Lake Census
1910-1973 Williams Lake homestead records
1919 Directory of Williams Lake
1921-1947 Civil Court cases filed at Williams Lake
1926-1947 Criminal Court cases filed at Williams Lake
1927-1947 Estate and Probates files at Williams Lake
1928-1947 Estate and Probates filed at Williams Lake (additional names)
Williams Lake First Nations
Williams Lake Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin
Williams Lake Municipal Cemetery: The records for the local cemetery, located on McKenzie Avenue, are at Williams Lake City Hall, they can be accessed by the public.  Recorded burials go back to the early 1940s. The Catholic section is the oldest section. Unfortunately there are many older unrecorded  graves.
St. Joseph's Mission Cemetery:  This cemetery was in use prior to the Williams Lake Municipal Cemetery.  It is located at the head of Williams Lake and was maintained by the Oblate Brothers of St. Joseph.  They recorded most of the births and deaths in the area until 1920 when the city of Williams Lake was officially established.


The Chilcotin

The Chilcotin is a plateau region area that runs west from the Cariboo,  to the Pacific Ocean.  The boarder between the Cariboo and the Chilcotin is the Fraser River.   It is named for the Chilcotin People who originally lived at Anaham near Alexis Creek.  Chilcotin means, "People of the blue water."  The Athapaskan, Chilcotin, Tsilhqot'in,  Carrier, and southern Carrier are all part of the Dene nation.

The Chilcotin Web Site
Chilcotin War of 1864
1887 Directory of Williams Lake, (includes listings from Chilcotin, 150-Mile, 144-Mile, Chimney Creek, Soda Creek, Alexandria, Sheep Creek, Deer Park, Oatlands, Lansdowne, Onwards Ranch)
Chilcotin Directory of 1893
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including the Chilcotin
1901 Census for the Chilcotin.  It appears that the whole geographic area was done in one polling sub-division.  121 persons are listed.
Early Distict Pre-Emptions

The following is an alphabetical list of geographical sites that are included in the Chilcotin Region.  If you are familiar with any of these local histories or know of any good history links please help me make this list as complete and accurate as possible.

Alexis Creek
Travelling west from Hanceville you reach  the community named after Chief Alexis, chief of the Chilcotin Indians, who were settled there in the 1860s. The first non-native residents were Alexander Graham and Archibald MacCauley. In 1912 Dr. William Wright came to the area and was the first resident doctor in the Chilcotin. Alexis Creek is currently the largest village in the Chilcotin Region. Alexis Creek has a cemetery.

A Chronology of Alexis Creek
1919 Directory of Alexis Creek

Alkali Lake
Located seventeen miles north of Dog Creek
Herman O. Bowe started a roadhouse in 1859, in 1861 Philip Grinder joined him and they pre-empted the land at the head of Alkali Lake.
1895 Directory of Alkali Lake

Anahim Lake
Anahim Lake was named after Chilcotin Chief Anahim, father of Chief Alexis.  There have been mentions of a "Lake Anawhim" by travelers in the mid 1800s.  The original spelling was Anaham.

Bella Bella
Located on Campbell Island in the Lama Passage off the northwest coast of BC.  It was largely a native Indian reserve.

1895 Directory of Bella Bella
1919 Directory of Bella Bella

Bella Coola
This area was first settled because of the trade in oolichan grease for furs, hides and tools from inland.

History of the Norwegian Colony at Bella Coola (including a list of settlers for 1894) 
Early Days of Bella Coola, 1894-1895
1895 Directory of Bella Coola
1919 Directory of Bella Coola
Bella Coola Museum
Bella Coola general information

Big Creek
Named by Nels Haines of Empire Valley who was quite impressed with it's size.  The creek was originally called Gothlaneko, which means "Creek of Many Rabbits". George McDonald was Big Creek's first settler in 1896.
Big Creek records are often grouped with Alexis Creek.

1919 Directory of Big Creek

Chezacut
In the summer of 1900, John Stewart, Ed Sherringham, Norman Lee, E. P. Lee and Will Copeland all staked land in Chezacut Country. Fred Copland was the first to move his family there in 1902, and he became the first postmaster there.

Chilanko Forks
Chilanko Forks records are often grouped with Puntzi.

Chilcko Lake/River
Some Chilko River  History

Dog Creek
Dog Creek is 17 miles south of Alkali Lake.  In the gold rush days there were hotels and roadhouses there and grain crops.  One of the first ranches was run by Mexican Rapheal Valenzuela.  In the 1880's the Joseph Smith family ran the roadhouse.  Dog Creek records are often grouped with Alkali Lake.

1895 Directory of Dog Creek (Includes the Gang Ranch)
Canoe Creek First Nations (Includes Dog Creek Reserve)

Firvale
Firvale records are often grouped with Bella Coola.   Firvale is east of Hagensborg.

Gang Ranch
A well known area ranch established in 1863, it was the first ranch in the interior to use the double-furrowed gang plow.  it is West of 100 Mile House.

A Chronology of the Gang Ranch
The Gang Ranch Today
1895 Directory of Dog Creek (Includes the Gang Ranch)

Hagensborg
Norwegians established Hagensborg just east of Bella Coola in the late 1890s.
Hagensborg records are often grouped with Bella Coola.

History of the Norwegian Colony at Bella Coola.
School Records for Hagensborg 1895-1920

Hanceville
Named for an American, Orlando Thomas Hance who came to the area in 1875 and eventually set up a trading post, post office and store.  Tom Hance was the first white man to set up permanent residence among the Chilcotin Natives, and would also become the first policeman in the Chilcotin.
Hanceville records are often grouped with Alexis Creek.

A Chronology of Hanceville.
1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Hanceville
1895 Directory of Hanceville
1919 Directory of Hanceville

Hat Creek
On the Cariboo Wagon Road just north of Cache Creek, it was originally called Riviere aux Chapeaux by the early French Canadians who noticed several hat-like depressions in a large rock beside the creek. The rock would later be destroyed for road construction.  The first pre-emption in Hat Creek was by Neil McArthur, a former Hudson Bay company employee.  The first settler in the area was Donald McLean

Historic Hat Creek House established in the 1860s.
Cache Creek Directory of 1893 (includes Hat Creek)
Hat Creek Directory of 1895

Kleena Kleene
The Chilcotin word for Oolichan grease.
Kleena Kleene records are often grouped with Tatla Lake.  Kleena Kleene is west of Tatla Lake.

History of the Brink Ranch
History of the Dane Ranch
History of the Clear Water Ranch

Meldrum Creek
Named after Thomas Meldrum who came to the area around 1860 and was the first Justice of the Peace in the region.

Nimpo Lake
Nimpo Lake and Anahim Lake records are often grouped together.
History of the Nimpo Lake General Store
History of a Nimpo Lake restaurant

Ocean Falls
A History of Ocean Falls

Puntzi & Puntzi Lake

Redstone
Generally covers the area known as Redstone and the Redstone Native Reserve.  The Redstone Reserve has its own cemetery.  Redstone records are often grouped with Alexis Creek and Puntzi.

Riske Creek
Situated about 52 km (32 mi.) west of Williams Lake.  The village is the site of one of the earliest ranches in the area established in 1859 by a Polish gentleman, L.W. Riskie.   The first Post Office in the Chilcotin region was set up at Riske Creek on May 1, 1886 and called the Chilcoten Post Office.  On May 1, 1911 the spelling was changed to Chilcotin. On November 1, 1912 the name was changed to Riske Creek.

Springhouse
Springhouse was named for St. Peter's Spring, where Father Demers visited the local Native people in the 1840s.  It is located 20 miles northeast of Alkali Lake.  The first farm was settled in 1862 by a Cornish man.   Augustine Boitano purchased the land in 1885.  Springhouse records are often grouped with Alkali Lake and/or  Williams Lake.

Stone
Stone records are often grouped with Alexis Creek.

Stuie
Stuie records are often grouped with Bella Coola.  Stuie is between Anahim Lake and Firvale.

Tatla Lake
 Lieutenant Martin, a government surveyor, was the first man to take up land at Tatla Lake in 1890.

1894 Voters List (Williams Lake Polling Division) including Tatla Lake
The Mansion of Tatla Lake
Some history of the Graham family

Tatlayoko

History of Tatlayoko School
The Tatlayoko Post Office

Toosey
Toosey records are often grouped with Riske Creek.

Tweedsmuir
Tweedsmuir records are often grouped with Bella Coola.

Ulkatcho
Ulkatcho records are often grouped with Anahim Lake or Nimpo Lake.

WestBranch
A local family's history: Annie & Bern


Return to the Cariboo-Chilcotin page of links by Record Type

Comments and corrections always welcome !!

Last updated 10 January, 2004