When: Saturday, August 14, 2010, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Creveling Lounge, Campus Center, Pasadena City College, 1570 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena California 91106-2003
Door Prizes: YES! The Grand Prize is a two nights at Salt Lake City Plaza Hotel.
It is time for you to Come to Your Census, and the BIFHS-USA seminar is just the place to start. The doors open at 8:30 a.m. and the seminar starts at 9:00 a.m. There will be four different speakers who will help you with your Census. You will have a choice during the first two sets of lectures. Beth McCarty will explain the English and Welsh Censuses or hear Nancy Ellen Carlberg reveal insights to the Scottish Censuses. After a break your will have another choice. Nancy Huebotter will speak about early US Censuses or listen to Jim McNamara provide details about Irish Censuses and Some substitutes. Lunch will follow the morning lectures. You may either order and pay for your lunch when you register or there are many fast food places within walking distance of PCC. You will want to return for the afternoon lectures. Nancy Huebotter will teach us how to upload data and images to our genealogy programs, and Nancy Ellen Carlberg will give suggestions to finding your ancestors with their misspelled names. The seminar will conclude with the drawing to the door prizes. The Grand Prize will be a two nights at Salt Lake City Plaza Hotel.
The registration form with itinerary and directions is here.
Directions to Pasadena City College Parking Lots 10 or 11 and Creveling Lounge of the Campus Center
1. Take I-210 (Foothill Freeway) to Pasadena
2. Take the Hill Ave. exit from either eastbound or westbound Foothill Freeway
3. Travel south (away from the mountains) on Hill Ave.
4. Stay on Hill Ave. and cross Colorado Blvd. It is approximately ½ mile south of Foothill Freeway. Pasadena City College is on the left (east) side of Hill Ave. south of Colorado Blvd.
5. Travel two blocks south of Colorado Blvd. staying on Hill Ave.
6. Turn right (west) onto Cordova St. from Hill Ave. If you reach Del Mar Blvd., you have gone to far.
7. Travel west one block (a very short block) on Cordova St.
8. Turn right (north, towards the mountains) onto Holliston Ave. from Cordova St.
9. Travel north (towards the mountains) one block on Holliston Ave.
10. Turn right (east) onto Green St., a one way street.
11. Parking lot 10 is on the left (north) and parking lot 11 is on the right (south).
12. Park in either parking lot, and purchase a $2 per day parking permit placing it on the left hand side of the dashboard.
13. Walk east the short distance from either parking lot 10 or 11 to Hill Ave.
14. Cross Hill Ave.
15. Continue walking east passing the tennis courts that are on the right (south). The faculty and staff parking lot 1 is on the left (north).
16. Walk up the ramp.
17. The Campus Center (Building CC on the PCC campus map, see www.pasadena.edu/maps/PCC_map.pdf) will be to the left (north) at the top of the ramp.
18. Enter the double doors of the Campus Center. Creveling Lounge is on the immediate right.
Note: We recommend that you use either parking lot 10 or 11. Handicap parking is at lot 4 on the main campus. However, the walk from lot 4 to Creveling Lounge in the Campus Center is farther than the walk from lots 10 or 11. The curbs when crossing Hill Ave. are wheelchair accessible.
See information about past seminars.