Mount Wyndham is a 18th century house situated in Hamilton Parish, on a hill looking out to the North. It was built in 1785 by Richard Algate. Mr Algate and his shipmate David Foggo were saved after the wreck of their vessel at Castle Island during the hurricane of 1780. They both remained in Bermuda. Algate subsequently lost the property and it was later leased to the British Admiralty as a residence for the Admiral in command of the station. (Bermuda Hist Quarterly, VolXXV, no 1, 1968).