Who now resides on his beautiful farm on Sullivan’s Creek, is a native of Germany, from whence he came to America in 1848, locating first in Charleston, S. C., where he was employed as a clerk in a store until the year 1851, when going to New York, he shipped via Panama for California. Finally coming to Sonora, where he mined until 1856, then opening a saloon and lodging house, remaining so occupied until 1860, when the attraction of farm life carried him to his present fine property, consisting of four hundred and eighty acres, upon which he has erected at great pains and cost a very elegant residence, wherein he now resides with his interesting family. Marrying in Sonora immediately upon his arrival, he has live children: William D. , Matilda, Louis, Amelia and Otto.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 370.
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton