MOSES H. HYDE
The subject of the sketch first saw the light in Carroll County, New Hampshire, where he resided until he passed his twentieth year; then, for the next seven years, his location was chiefly in Massachusetts. Then, being smitten with the California fever, he joined the grand army whose eager faces were turned toward the golden shores of the Pacific, and, taking passage on the steamer John L. Stephens, he came to Panama. The remainder of this, to him, most eventful trip was made in the George Law, arriving in San Francisco in 1854. Coming at once to old Tuolumne, he entered into partnership with his brother, in ranching, afterwards going into the lumber manufacture. Increasing in wealth, Mr. Hyde became successively proprietor of a sawmill, a lumber yard situated in Sonora, and the fine ranch on which he now resides. This ranch, familiarly known as the ‘‘Hyde Ranch,” is situated on Sullivan’s Creek, above the Phoenix Reservoir. Besides agriculture, the gentleman has interested himself in mining, in consequence of the discovery of a very extensive quartz ledge upon his property, which, being prospected, is found to be of great value.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg 321-322.
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton firstname.lastname@example.org