RUTHERFORD, CHARLES B.
This gentleman was born in Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts, in September, 1835. Leaving there when ten years of age, he settled in Canandagua, New York, growing up and attending the Academy with Henry H. Haight, afterwards Governor of California.
In 1849 Mr. Rutherford, holding a position in the service of the United States Government, was located at San Antonio, Texas. In 1852 he went to Sonora, having arrived in this State a few weeks previous. Taking a partner, he erected a cloth tent on Washington street, it being just after the great fire, and commenced business as painters. The Hook and Ladder Company had just been organized, and Mr. R painted all the paraphernalia required by its one hundred and fifty members. During his stay in Sonora he erected the brick building which Dr. Sears now occupies; also the brick residence of Mr. John Cowie.
Leaving Sonora in 1861, Mr. R., after three years spent in various parts of the State, located permanently in Oakland, and carries on the painting business at 1014 Broadway. His family comprises three children.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 383-384.
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton