STREET, C. L.
Is a native of Sheldon, Wyoming County, New York, and was born on November 10, 1821 receiving his primary education in that State. In 1840, the family moved to Carthage, Hancock County, Illinois. Prior to this, however, Mr. Street paid a visit to the Southern States, but located, finally, with his people in Carthage, where his uncle, M. B. Street, had also settled. In 1846, the Street families emigrated to Johnson County, Arkansas, where they lived until coming to California via Fort Smith, Fort Yuma, thence to San Diego and San Francisco, where they arrived on November 1, 1849. Here they resided until February, 1850, then came to this county, camping a short time at Jamestown, thence going to Woods’ Creek, about one-half a mile above Sonora. In May, 1851, he, in comnection [communication? Or connection?] with his brother, H. L. Street, raised a tent where the Episcopal church now stands, in which they conducted a commercial business. Mr. Street sold out on March 15, 1851, returned East, but again returned to Sonora in August of that year He purchased a one-half interest in a store then owned by his uncle, his partner being his brother, H. L. Street, and the business was conducted by them until 1859. The subject of our sketch was elected Justice of the Peace in 1859, remaining in that office until 1866. He was also one of the Associate Justices of this county. He commenced the study of law while a resident of Sonora, and was admitted to the Bar, and opened his present office on the corner of Washington street and Yaney avenue. He has since associated himself with his cousin, Frank W. Street. He married Phoebe Weston, a native of Rockville, Connecticut, and by this union had one child, H. L Street.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 372-373.
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton