J. H. SMITH.
Mr. Smith, who is mentioned above as a brother of W. H. Smith, was born December 17, 1824, in Somersetshire, England. Coming to New York, May 1845, and remaining in Cortland County until 1853, when he came to this State. Mining at Springfield for a time, he went back to New York for a while, afterwards spending four years in Iowa, as a farmer. The attractions of the “Sunset Land” were too great, however, and he pulled up stakes in 1859, and came across the plains, with his wife. In 1862, they went to Soulsbyville, where they resided until 1866; Mr. Smith working as a miner. At that date he removed to Cherokee, where he now remains. The brothers were owners of the “Mastodon” Ledge, mentioned as having been sold in 1880 to a company of Boston capitalists. Mr. Smith is still engaged to some extent in mining affairs, but carries on, besides, some farming operations. His wife, above spoken of, was Miss C. A Barker, to whom he was married in 1850.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Pub’d by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 336-337.
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton