H. W. WILLIAMS
Is a Swede, who came to America in 1840, then at the age of sixteen years. For a livelihood, Mr. Williams followed the sea, until his voyage via the Straits of Magellan to this country, in a schooner commanded by Captain Wild, where he has since remained, devoting his time to mining and to improvements in mining machinery. His wanderings, which were numerous, as were those of almost every one of the early miners, began upon his departure, in 1851, from San Francisco for Taylor’s Bar, in Calaveras County. Mining there for a twelvemonth, he went to Campo Seco next, and became a saloon-keeper, until 1854, when, coming to Tuolumne, he stopped for a time at Big Oak Flat, and then at Deer Flat, mining at those places with small success. One summer passed at Turnback Creek “let him out” of mining for awhile, and he then devoted himself to the butcher business, at Roche’s Camp. Six months more saw him at Sonora, clerking in a store, soon to leave that employment for another trial at the meat-block. He followed the business of retailing meat at Sonora, Soulsbyville and Confidence, successively, until, finally becoming possessed of certain mining claims at Arastraville, he located himself there, constructing an arastra, and is now engaged in improving his mining property.
“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg 320-321 .
Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton email@example.com