"Rededication of the GAR Abraham
April 15, 2006, Lincoln Park, Long Beach, CA.
The monument was conceived and
financed through subscriptions by the Grand Army of the Republic Post in Long Beach
starting in 1905. An original monument "To Our Unknown Dead" was first
conceptualized by the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War that would
be topped by the statue of a Civil War era soldier. The design was changed by the
GAR to replace the soldier with a statue of Mr. Lincoln.
The monument is composed of a three tiered, post and lintel
stacked granite column pedestal. The base is composed of four tiers. The first
two tiers are of smooth-finished white granite with inscriptions. The third tier is
high polished black granite with relief drawings carved by the Raymond Stone Company staff
artist, Clyde Spear.
The cornerstone of the monument was sealed on June 29, 1915;
and the Lincoln statue was put in place on July 2. The unveiling and dedication of
the completed monument took place during elaborate ceremonies conducted on July 3, 1915.
In 1973 the monument was taken to storage, and in 1977 it
was installed in front of the Library without it's pedestal. It was moved in its
entirety to its current location in 1982 without a rededication. This ceremony
rights that omission, and the SUVCW plans to mark this date as an annual solemn
(The rededication program sites "Information about the sculpture came from
'A Survey of Important Sculptures in Los Angeles County' June 25, 1998, prepared by
Sculpture Conservation Studio, Inc., and Glenn Wharton and Associates, Inc. Other
information comes from the Los Angeles Times of 1908 through 1916.")
"Camp Latham Marker
November 12, 2006, Culver City, CA
Camp Latham, existed from 1861 - 1862 and was established by
the 1st California Infantry, under Col. James H. Carleton, and the 1st California Calvery,
under Lt. Col. Benjamin F. Davis. Named for U. S. Senator Milton S. Latham who also
served as California's sixth governor, this Union tent encampment was California's initial
southern staging area for the Civil War. This camp was located near Jefferson and
Overland Blvd. on La Ballona Creek. (Culver City Historical Society,
"Unveiling of the Marker", program)
Christmas at the Drum Barracks,
Elizabeth Hill Mills Tent #88 hosted a
display table. Pictured above on the left is member Joann Knowles.
Some DUV members attended a ladies tea in
Tent President Judy Weaver