Home

 Biographies Index  

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

Biographies
of
San Bernardino County and Riverside County

 

W. D. ANDERSON at San Bernardino has built up one of the largest and most distinctive enterprises of its kind in Southern California, and his undoubted success has been a tribute to his remarkable energy and persistence in carrying out his plans in spite of lack of capital and early difficulties.

Mr. Anderson was born in Southern California in 1876. His father, John Y. Anderson, was a mining man, a California forty-niner, and after some years of experience and life in the northern part of the state moved to San Bernardino, where he was one of the pioneer settlers.

W. D. Anderson attended school at San Bernardino. He engaged in the machinery and contracting business in 1900. He started with a notable absence of capital, but he understood the machinery business from previous training, and has since been able to build up a seventy-five thousand dollar plant, consisting of machine shop, blacksmith shop, planing mill and other facilities, all of which does an extensive business and employs a large number of men. He is the largest dealer in the Southwest in second-handed machinery, including electric motors. He manufactures drilling and pumping machinery, and as a contractor he keeps in operation a large number of oil and water drilling outfits throughout the southwestern fields.

Mr. Anderson is a republican, and a member of the Baptist Church. In 1906 he married Miss Maud Gentry. Her father has been a resident of San Bernardino for thirty years and was formerly a Missouri farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have one daughter, Pauline, born in 1909.

 

Source:
History of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties 
By: John Brown, Jr., Editor for San Bernardino County 
And James Boyd, Editor for Riverside County 
With selected biography of actors and witnesses of the period 
of growth and achievement.
Volume III, the Western Historical Association, 1922, 
The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, ILL

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011