California Genealogy and History Archives
|John Henry Andrews
A native of Ohio, John Henry Andrews was born in New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county, May 8, 1853, the sone of Henry Wadsworth and Julia (Kidder) Andrews, the former born in Portage county September 1, 1826, and the latter in Medina county September 28, 1833. The father, who was a sheet-metal worker, in 1858 removed with his family to Akron, Ohio, where he died in 1869, his wife having passed away in 1864. Of their four children our subject is the only one living and after completing the common schools was apprenticed at the sheet-metal worker’s trade in Wadsworth, Ohio, for three years, and after completing his trade he returned to Akron, entering the employ of Cramer & May, later the successors, May & Fieberger, continuing with them for fifteen years and for twelve years of this time was foreman.
In 1890 Mr. Andrews located in Denver, Colo., where he followed contracting in his line until 1894, when he located in Petaluma and became foreman for L. L. Cory, remaining there four years, and then became foreman for the Petaluma Incubator Company, which position he held until 1904. After resigning that position he engaged in manufacturing and established his present sheet-metal and cornice works, being the most extensive contractor in his line in Petaluma. Among the buildings he has completed in his line are the Upham street school house, Gross building, the three McNear buildings, Swiss-American Bank and many others. He has completed many of the buildings in Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Ukiah, San Rafael, San Jose and San Francisco.
Mr. Andrews was married in Akron, Ohio, to Miss Lillie Margins, a native of that city. Fraternally he is a member of the Elks and the Woodmen of the World, while in politics he is an ardent Republican.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011