California Genealogy and History Archives
is an established fact that the man of courage and tenacity of purpose,
who governs his actions by conservative judgment, unerringly progresses
toward success, no matter what his start in life. In Mr. Azevedo. who is
now identified with the Sacramento Valley Bank and Trust Company, is
found a type of citizen who early realizes the value of a definite aim,
as well as true and honorable principles, and who forges ahead
regardless of discouragements or divers opinions as to his wisdom in
carrying out his plans.
a native of Terceira, one of the Azore Islands, his birth having
occurred therein March 6, 1886, Mr. Azevedo has spent his life in the
United States from the time he was about two years old. His parents,
Manuel J. and Maria (Pexioto) Azevedo, were also natives of the Azores.
Manuel J. Azevedo came to California in 1854 and engaged in mining,
later following vegetable farming and freighting his produce to Virginia
City. He returned to his old home to retire from active life, but the
charms of California had won him and he came back to Sacramento county
in 1887. Ranching at Freeport for a time he then became interested in
the Eagle Winery at 1517 Eighteenth street, Sacramento, successfully
conducting a large business until his death in 1909.
F. Azevedo supplemented his public school education by a course in St.
Mary's College, Oakland, and upon his graduation in 1905 secured a
situation as messenger in the service of the Fort Sutter bank. By virtue
of his innate truthfulness and courtesy, he soon established himself in
the eyes of his employers as a lad worthy of the highest confidence, and
accordingly received promotion from time to time, having reached the
position of cashier ere he relinquished his duties May 15, 1911, to
assume his present position of assistant cashier of the Sacramento
Valley Bank and Trust Co., which he has conducted with characteristic
skill and devotion to detail.
August 28, 1909, Mr. Azevedo married Miss Ida Nuttall, whose father,
Levi Nuttall, for many years was associated with the Southern Pacific
Railroad Company, serving in the repair department of the shops at
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011